Is there a very simple way to get the RT to recognize SD card in Libraries?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a few steps on getting the RT to see the sdcard in the libraries. If i were to make a video, documents, music, pics folder in the SD, do some stuff and then you can see all your files in the respective app.

So for example, if i had my music in my sd card under a music folder, the music app would recognize. Right now, it does not.

Now I've read Paul thurotts, xda, and a couple other suggestions posted in a previous thread, but had many issues. Issues being files not being updated properly meaning not showing up in the music app.So if i were to add more files to the music folder, it would not recognize in the music app. The music will stop if surface goes to sleep or I would see all my folders for music/videos/documents in the photo app.

So is there a simple procedure to get the files on my sdcard to work exactly like if i had it on internal drive? When I say simple, meaning an explanation on how to do this very specifically for somebody that knows nothing of tech terminology and such. I read there was some type of steps using junctions or some sort, i got through the beginning, but couldn't get it to work as it seems the steps implied that user knew what it means and it wasn't specific enough on what was being done for me to continue. I had stuck on the command screen as it didn't work.

Tips?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I think we're stuck with the solutions you already mentioned. I did Paul Thurott's suggestion and I've not been that happy with it. It recognized them, but new files won't show up. It's annoying. I think we need a fix from MS for it to be "simple." I hope that someone can prove me wrong, however.

rhythmsyndicate

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I've used the method where you create a folder named "SD" on the C: drive (C:\SD). Then press Windows + X keys to open Disk Management. Locate your microSD card, right-click and select “Change Drive Letter and Paths”, click Add > Browse, and add empty NTFS folder Windows (C:)\SD to be mounted as the paths, and click OK button. Now you need to add the correct microSD-based folder to each library, such as add the location C:\SD\Music for the Music library, C:\SD\whatever for the Pictures and Videos libraries.

This method has worked flawlessly for me so far...

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I've used the method where you create a folder named "SD" on the C: drive (C:\SD). Then press Windows + X keys to open Disk Management. Locate your microSD card, right-click and select “Change Drive Letter and Paths”, click Add > Browse, and add empty NTFS folder Windows (C:)\SD to be mounted as the paths, and click OK button. Now you need to add the correct microSD-based folder to each library, such as add the location C:\SD\Music for the Music library, C:\SD\whatever for the Pictures and Videos libraries.

This method has worked flawlessly for me so far...

Tried that, didn't work very well.

The issue was if i change the location to the specific folder whether music, video, docs, etc, it would not recognize.

The only way to get to recognize and add new files and have the app update if i change the location to the general folder d:/SD. If the location went to d:/SD/music, problems. This is using the managing ribbon in libraries.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
The best way is create a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) on the SD. You will have no issues creating or using libraries on a VHD... rock stable since launch with that solution.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
The best way is create a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) on the SD. You will have no issues creating or using libraries on a VHD... rock stable since launch with that solution.

Have no clue what that means, being that i am not knowledgeable on jargon and terminology and what the user was actually doing, had a hard time following certain guides because it was so general.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
There are detailed guides out there, but I can make one. I have a task set to mount the VHD every time the device boots. No issues whatsoever since launch with this setup and its transparent to Windows. The VHD actually behaves likes a NTFS drive.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
would appreciate a very detailed and dummy friendly guide to help me do this.

Im no techy, so a guide that is friendly to idiots like me would be nice.

Thanks

Squadromeo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I also went the vdisk way and must say it works perfectly. Like jlkelley said the virtual disk is mounted by a task at startup of the Surface. Wake up from 'connected standby' is also no issue.

highly recommended :cool:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My understanding with the "SD" on the C: drive (C:\SD) method is that indexing doesn't work very well in this location for some reason. This is the reason your libraries don't update when you add new content.

Thought I read somewhere that by creating that directory in c:\users\username\SD instead worked as this location always gets indexed?

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If you guys go to Start - and type "index" - go to settings, and launch "Indexing Options", you'll see all the places that get indexed on your computer. Notice that "Users" is one of them. That may be why putting the SD in the profile folder helps. Make sure to add it to the library, make sure it's in the profile, and rebuild the index (Indexing Options - Advanced - Rebuild). See if that helps.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I FINALLY got a method to work with the VHD. Thank you. I had tried the method on Paul Thurott's site with no luck. Tried another set of VHD instructions, with no luck. The set of instructions linked above worked for me finally. Thank you!

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I FINALLY got a method to work with the VHD. Thank you. I had tried the method on Paul Thurott's site with no luck. Tried another set of VHD instructions, with no luck. The set of instructions linked above worked for me finally. Thank you!

+1. Agreed.

Paul's a bright guy, but all of the less-intimidating steps listed on his site still fail to make the OS see the removable drive as a non-removable drive - which is the key to making it work correctly. Once RT sees the drive as non-removable, it treats it (and its contents) with all of the respect (indexing, adding to libraries) needed to make it work correctly. There's no other way that works besides the VHD method.

Last edited:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Now does this only apply to Windows 8 RT or full Windows 8 as well. I'm thinking of buying a tablet running full Windows 8 and wondered if I'd have to use the same method?

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
According to Paul Thurott's site, it's RT-only - but I can't confirm since I'm not near a Win8 PC to be sure. I suspect Paul is correct since external drives can be indexed on x86/x64 PCs.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess I can bump this thread too.

"
OK so i think i was able to get this VHD working and the one of the same issues with the other processes is that new files do not update.

I put one album in the folder and did the configuration and it worked and am able to see it in the music app. So I added one other album and it does not update. I had one movie in the VHD drive video folder and it recognized, added another, did not recognize.

So essentially, the problem that exist with the other ways of doing this still exist. Can anybody confirm that they can add new files to the folder without doing any setting updates and the music/video apps update with the new file real time?

I am assuming the configuration is some where in here:

"

1. Set up automatic mounting on system startup.
  2. Win+W, type Schedule Tasks, enter.
  3. In the tree on the left side, click on "Task Scheduler Library".
  4. From the "Actions" pane, click on "Create Task"
  5. Put mount D:\disk.vhd (or anything you'd like) as the task name.
  6. Select "Run whether user is logged on or not"
  7. Check "Run with highest privileges"
  8. In Triggers tab, click on New, select "At startup" and press OK.
  9. In Actions tab, click on New. Select "Start a program" as Action. In program/script, put C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe. In add arguments, write exactly -command "mount-diskimage D:\disk.vhd".
  10. In Conditions tab, uncheck everything.
  11. Press OK
  12. Enter your Windows password and press OK.
  13. Restart the system and see if your new drive is visible after login

1. Set up Windows Indexing.
  2. Win+W, type Indexing Options, enter
  3. Click on modify, check the new vhd drive (probably E).
  4. OK, Close.

"

The final link is pretty bad in terms of telling us what to do next. So i did manage library to each of the music, video, document, pictures folder i did. I changed the default to the vhd folder and added the folder to the libraries. Clearly it works since it recognizes the very initial music and video files.

Now im not sure what stops actually helps with the libraries recognizing new files such as my music and videos. Any suggestions?

FYI for people still doing this

"In Actions tab, click on New. Select "Start a program" as Action. In program/script, put C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe. In add arguments, write exactly -command "mount-diskimage D:\disk.vhd".

When it says write exactly, you shouldn't, you should not have the last period.​

"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers