Touch Type "Book" Cover

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of a touch type cover with the magnets in the middle a stiff side for the back and the keyboard in front like usual. Not only would it protect the back but you could then use the surface on your lap easier. That seemed to be one of four major complaints with the Surface and you think something like this would be obvious.

Why doesn't this exist?

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Now with the news of a battery, that is what could be in the other side. I will make up a simple mock up sometime this week if I get a chance and the will.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I would say it does not exist because 1) not very many people actually care, and 2) it sounds clunky and cumbersome - contrary to the whole idea behind the touch cover. As for news of a battery - what battery? That is a rumor founded upon nothing of substance and applies to a mythical future accessory for the Surface Pro.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I would say it does not exist because 1) not very many people actually care, and 2) it sounds clunky and cumbersome - contrary to the whole idea behind the touch cover. As for news of a battery - what battery? That is a rumor founded upon nothing of substance and applies to a mythical future accessory for the Surface Pro.

Every review I have read has either said the battery doesn't last as long as they would like (on the pro) and that it isn't easy to set on your lap. This fixes both. RT doesn't have to have battery to keep cost down, on a pro version you have a battery. Easy.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the visual; I couldn't completely understand your concept at first. I think it is an interesting idea for an additional battery and case protector.

I was watching a review and the commentator demonstrating how you couldn't effectively use the Surface on your lap with the keyboard. My thought was: it's a tablet, take the keyboard off. Your solution would make him happy.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I kind of like your idea. I do a lot of lap typing, and sometimes reach for my Chromebook because it's hard to balance the surface/Type cover on my lap. And I like that your concept protects the back.

What I would really like is something similar to the Clamcase or Crux Case, when the Surface would fit into a hinged lid. Kind of like the way other tablets have a keyboard dock with a hinge.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I thought of this idea as well (not trying to take it away from you), but I think unless it has some type of lock at the hinge, it would still be flimsy on your lap. It will still either bend back or forth as you're moving your legs about.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
it would still be flimsy on your lap. It will still either bend back or forth as you're moving your legs about.

Maybe a little flex left or right, but I practiced with a piece of cardboard at an MS store earlier this week, was much, much better than just two legs.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I was watching a review and the commentator demonstrating how you couldn't effectively use the Surface on your lap with the keyboard. My thought was: it's a tablet, take the keyboard off. Your solution would make him happy.

My thought is that with a type cover it works ok on my lap now. Not great, but good enough. The angle of the screen and width are bigger issues for me than the depth. I don't think I'd be interested in this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12