Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    The whole suite just got updated. But I haven't actually used it yet to know the difference. Is this the full version? Why is CNET reporting we are out of luck and saying that Surface RT has their own version of Office 13? From what I understand we had the Preview version and would get updated to Full when released.

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    The preview version was only there for a few days after Surface launch, before it was updated to the full version. Yes, there are some differences to a full desktop Office, such as I believe Excel cant do macros (I think for performance and security reasons). Generally speakig though we are far from "out of luck". Anyways, Surface has had the full version for most of it's availability.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    The whole suite just got updated. But I haven't actually used it yet to know the difference. Is this the full version? Why is CNET reporting we are out of luck and saying that Surface RT has their own version of Office 13? From what I understand we had the Preview version and would get updated to Full when released.
    "Just got updated"?? We have a version of Home and Student Office 2013 on our RTs. As Coreldan notes, Office gets updated as part of the many updates you get when you fist get the RT and run Windows Update. As I recall, the prompt for updating launched automatically.

First, note that paying any attention to cnet is risky, or at least a waste of time --although they are the most experienced at misleading the inexperienced on the web.

Second, the RT version of Office we have, including the updated final version, is limited in a few ways. Here is a link that explains the limits (see items 6 &7): Office Home & Student RT Preview - Office.com

This somewhat limited version of Office comes free on Windows RT devices, which is great, and along with the remarkable design, it is what most influenced me to get the Surface RT. Owners of any other tablet wanting to run Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or OneNote out of the box, --and most, at all-- are indeed "out of luck".
    Last edited by RTGent; 02-01-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    X-Box Music Pass Rocks
    Surface: there is no substitute
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)
    Thanked by:

Yeah, I just updated mine yesterday. I didn't know that you actually had to go into Action Center on the desktop app to do the updates. I had been using the metro update with no luck. LOL

Global Posts
    2,440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RTGent View Post
    First, note that paying any attention to cnet is risky, or at least a waste of time --although they are the most experienced at misleading the inexperienced on the web.
    I will just add to this that paying attention to any blog, when it comes to the Surface RT, is risky. I wouldn't mind it so much if the writers expressed their thoughts as their own opinion, but it's presented as fact.

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I will just add to this that paying attention to any blog, when it comes to the Surface RT, is risky. I wouldn't mind it so much if the writers expressed their thoughts as their own opinion, but it's presented as fact.
    Yeah so true! Nothing bugs me more than when a tech writer knows less than the customer, or just decides to write something they have not even looked into. Its just sloppy work. If any of us worked at our job like this we would get fired. Lol

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Like others have said, this Office update has been out since the Surface first launched.

I just checked my Surface and there are no new updates.

FWIW, The Update to the Final (RTM) version of Office RT was placed on Windows Update before RT's were publicly avaialble. As a result, one of the very first updates you would receive would have been the sizeable upgrade to the final version. And in the coming months, OEM images will be updated (as is usual for any platform) so newer RT devices will come with the final version installed (imaged) out-of-the-box.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcald View Post
    Yeah, I just updated mine yesterday. I didn't know that you actually had to go into Action Center on the desktop app to do the updates. I had been using the metro update with no luck. LOL
    I found my update in the modern side actually, not the action center. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by kashk5 View Post
    Like others have said, this Office update has been out since the Surface first launched.

I just checked my Surface and there are no new updates.
    Huh. I wonder what update I got last night then? I just happened to check and I saw some updates and installed them. They all pertained to Office (Word, Excel, etc.)

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msdugn View Post
    FWIW, The Update to the Final (RTM) version of Office RT was placed on Windows Update before RT's were publicly avaialble. As a result, one of the very first updates you would receive would have been the sizeable upgrade to the final version. And in the coming months, OEM images will be updated (as is usual for any platform) so newer RT devices will come with the final version installed (imaged) out-of-the-box.
    Maybe I just got some type of security or incremental update for Office?

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Maybe I just got some type of security or incremental update for Office?
    Yep. 2nd and 4th Tuesday are the release days. You likely got the most recent (1/8) updates. In the Traditional Desktop, you can go to Control Panel | Windows Updates | View Update History and see which ones you got.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    There has been plenty of smaller updates, but the actual full version update did indeed come months ago.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    It all makes sense now. I guess a light bulb just popped in my head since I actually got an update the same time Office 2013 was released to everyone else. :)

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RTGent View Post
    "Just got updated"?? We have a version of Home and Student Office 2013 on our RTs. As Coreldan notes, Office gets updated as part of the many updates you get when you fist get the RT and run Windows Update. As I recall, the prompt for updating launched automatically.

Second, the RT version of Word we have, including the updated final version, is limited in a few ways. Here is a link that explains the limits (see items 6 &7): Office Home & Student RT Preview - Office.com

This somewhat limited version of Office comes free on Windows 8 RT devices, which is great, and along with the remarkable design, it is what most influenced me to get the Surface RT. Owners of any other tablet wanting to run Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or OneNote out of the box, --and most, at all-- are indeed "out of luck".
    There is no such thing as Windows 8 RT. It is Windows RT.
    Thanked by:
    RTGent