Surface had a high return rate?

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Well said. I dont get all the complaints. some are valid, such as email lacking, but the surface rt has been very awesome for me. I think its better than the ipad, playbook, and touchpad. Although i do like the playbook bridge feature.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow, Microsoft is a stand up company to stand behind their product quality and satisfaction if those numbers are anywhere close to true. Makes me glad to own one.

cme4oil

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I will chime in and say the I bought the Surface RT on November 15th and just returned it for a refund a few days ago. I have been very satisfied with the tablet but thought I might like the PRO better. Once the PRO is out, I will play with it at the store, if I do indeed find it will be more to my liking in capabilities then I will buy a 128gb one. If not, I will probably buy another Surface RT.

If MS didn't have a such a great return policy for the holidays, I would have kept the RT as well.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I got to try out the RT for 2 weeks and while promising it couldn't come close to displacing my IPad as daily driver. Just not enough apps and hardware problems(no lock orientation and low max volume). Software issues are confusing multitasking UI and lack of speech interface.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
There is an display orientation lock: Pull up the Charms bar and go to settings. Tap on display brightness and there is a little lock icon. It's not where i'd put it, but it's really easy to get to when you're holding it. I'm not sure what a 'low max volume' is. I found that I don't NEED as many apps as I thought because the full websites are available. Why would I need a Facebook app. I just pin facebook.com to my start screen. That way I get EVERY feature of the website. No compromises.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
To the OP.

What is the average return rate for such devices? You are bringing what may just be another "hit" piece with no details and no data to back it up. Given most of the Surface tablets were sold in MSFT stores its doubtful they are going to flaunt such a high return rate. So, please do us the favor of providing a little due diligence and determine how they came up with those numbers.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I hear a lot of complaints about RT, Surface and otherwise. Some are legitimate complaints and some are just people not familiar with devices. Before you complain about RT not performing a certain task, do a little research. Win8 and RT are completely new OS'. Try researching and asking before you spread FUD. I've had Surface since launch and Win8 for a month or so. Still learning what it can and will do.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
because everything I buy I check to see if it will run facebook first, thanks for letting me know. sarcasm intended. BTW, the iPad doesn't run the latest OSX programs either. Yes, RT looks like Win8, but doesn't that help most people have a comfort level with using it? It is similar to my WP8 and I don't expect to play Skyrim on my phone, but I like the option of opening Office documents across the platforms and simple games (like Robotek currently). I am waiting to see what Nokia's tablet will offer vs the Surface RT. I do wish that the RT was $100-150 less.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
To the OP.

What is the average return rate for such devices? You are bringing what may just be another "hit" piece with no details and no data to back it up. Given most of the Surface tablets were sold in MSFT stores its doubtful they are going to flaunt such a high return rate. So, please do us the favor of providing a little due diligence and determine how they came up with those numbers.

Why is it my job to do due diligence? Talk to Paul Thurrott about that. But since you asked. Galaxy Tab return rate at 13%; iPad 2% | Apple - CNET News
For goods in general, it appears to be about 10% is the average.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I returned my black 64GB one yesterday on the last day of the generous holiday return window -pun intended. I held on to it as long as I could to minimize my Surfaceless time. I'll be back to a MS store soon -the closest one is 2.5 hours away, to pick up a 128GB Pro. If I prefer it, I'll keep it; otherwise, I'll trade it in for another RT. Any comparisons to non-Windows devices are so meaningless to me, for multiple functionality reasons; plus, there is only one 1.5 lb/.68 kg tablet that has Office -the common currency in computing, SD expansion, a standard USB port, HDMI out, a kickstand and thin, very light keyboards/covers. I want these things; I need a Surface.

BTW, and with due respect to all, for my tastes and sensibilities, the (charcoal) Surface is the masculine tablet, or the most fit tablet for an adult male. Wink.

Last edited:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
BTW, and with due respect to all, for my tastes and sensibilities, the Surface is the masculine tablet, or the most fit tablet for an adult male. Wink.

Translation: With due respect, misogyny misogyny misogyny.
What does being male, or masculinity have to do with anything? Especially one that comes in super-manly pink cover?fd732655-e260-4059-b05c-a40093696060.jpg

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had Surface since launch and Win8 for a month or so. Still learning what it can and will do.

That's the main problem IMO. With Android and iOS it typically don't take research to figure out how to do basic tasks. And it shouldn't take a current Windows XP/7 user longer to figure out RT than it does to figure out iOS or Android from scratch. Yet that has been my experience so far. Some of that is the extra power RT gives us. But a lot of it is just the way some things aren't where you expect them to be or spread between the seperate interfaces. To me it feels like Metro/Modern/Whatever is a VM running on a desktop. Much like Windows 3.1's relationship with DOS. People expect better and more seamless execution these days.

I'm still not convinced on my Surface, but I'll probably keep it because the combination of quality hardware and utility are unmatched for my use. I'm just stating why I wouldn't doubt a much higher rate than its competitors.

Last edited:

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Translation: With due respect, misogyny misogyny misogyny.
What does being male, or masculinity have to do with anything? Especially one that comes in super-manly pink cover?View attachment 27878
Granted, but I did qualify it, noting it was for my perhaps peculiar sensibilities. I Liked your fair post, and edited mine to specify a charcoal one. BTW, my significant only purchased an RT at the same time and she didn't return hers.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Because you are the one that pulled the 40% return rate out of thin air, then created a thread about it.
Because you are the one that pulled the 40% return rate out of thin air, then created a thread about it.

Upon rereading, I'll totally admit that I misinterpreted the 55-60% figure. It meant that of the 1.25 million sales Microsoft claimed, they actually only sold 55-60% of that. Minus the returns, which were "very high." If it was the standard 10%, that would mean that Microsoft only sold 675,00 Surfaces. If "very high" is more than 10%, then it could be substantially lower.
If an admin wants to fix the title to "very high" that'd be great.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
How high do you think Walmarts return rate is? People these days have an "I'll play with it and return it" mentality, I'd wager a good portion of those returns people never planned on keeping them in the first place. MS really could have done a better job educating people as well on the differences. How hard is it to just tell people RT is new apps only?

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Surface Pro has not yet been released so in what way is it so much better?
For starters it runs a full version of Windows, not a mobile version. That means it runs standard, non-mobile apps. Having played with one this weekend I was impressed.

That said, it is considerably more expensive than the RT model.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
If happiness in your life depends on posting online about less than stellar sales of a product you don't like on a forum of people you don't know, then maybe it's time to sit in a closed garage in an idling car for a few hours.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss