Surface had a high return rate?

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
If happiness in your life depends on posting online about less than stellar sales of a product you don't like on a forum of people you don't know, then maybe it's time to sit in a closed garage in an idling car for a few hours.
Common.. Just not necessary no matter what people post on here.

NELSON8x

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Dude where in the **** did you buy your RT that allowed you to return it for a refund at the end of January 2013 when you bought it on November 15th?

I will chime in and say the I bought the Surface RT on November 15th and just returned it for a refund a few days ago. I have been very satisfied with the tablet but thought I might like the PRO better. Once the PRO is out, I will play with it at the store, if I do indeed find it will be more to my liking in capabilities then I will buy a 128gb one. If not, I will probably buy another Surface RT.

If MS didn't have a such a great return policy for the holidays, I would have kept the RT as well.

cme4oil

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft changed the return policy for Christmas, anyone who bought a Surface RT from November 1st to Christmas had until January 31st 2013 to return it.

Dude where in the **** did you buy your RT that allowed you to return it for a refund at the end of January 2013 when you bought it on November 15th?

justmoe40

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
many of us knew a pro version was coming. most of the stores knew a pro version was coming. i have told many to wait and i am sure many sales clerks may have done the same. returns are just the result of morons buying stuff blindly. do you want to see a failure watch blackberry over the next 12 months.

cme4oil

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Morons? really... I took mine back but I don't consider myself a "moron" but thanks for that useless comment.

many of us knew a pro version was coming. most of the stores knew a pro version was coming. i have told many to wait and i am sure many sales clerks may have done the same. returns are just the result of morons buying stuff blindly. do you want to see a failure watch blackberry over the next 12 months.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
For what it is worth, i spoke to one of the assistants at a MS stand in Dadeland and asked him about returns. He mentioned that they had quite a few and the vast majority that were returned were usually by people who had recieved them as Christmas gifts. He said that those who bought for themselves, very rarely returned them.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought one for my wife as an anniversary gift, and as much as she liked it she really wanted to upgrade her 900 to a 920 instead. So I had to return it and use that money instead to pay full price for a 920. I miss it badly.

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I had a Surface RT for couple of weeks before returning it. In the end it didn't fit my needs, but I certainly liked a lot about it. Well, I got a chance to play with the Pro at the store last evening, and had to come back here to give my 2 cents... I have to say, I don't get it at all. Yes, it's snappy, and yes it has higher res screen, but it runs hot, it has a fan that you can actually hear, it's much heavier and thicker, and from all accounts, the battery life is close to 3.5 hours... What is the point?? It felt like I was back 10 years ago or so, trying to desperately find a tablet. At the time I bought Samsung Q1U, running Vista... Made about as much sense then as Pro does now - crappy tablet experience, and a compromised laptop experience, all for way too much money. The difference is that back then there were few other options, unlike now.

I really hope that MS sticks with Win RT and develops it further, and that the next Surface RT addresses most of its known issues. It makes much more sense as a tablet, and has the potential to become the 3rd player.

Wes D

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I really hope that MS sticks with Win RT and develops it further, and that the next Surface RT addresses most of its known issues. It makes much more sense as a tablet, and has the potential to become the 3rd player.

While I disagree with the omitted part of your comments - and we should all wait to use the Surface Pro more before judging it's battery life and usefulness, I completely agree with the above. RT is a great base for a tablet. An interesting development is if Intel gets x86 phone chips working, such that MSFT can basically create one system for computers, tablets, and phones.

RT is a good system overall but Enterprise businesses (the target market for Pro - not a person watching a Netflix movie at home) need the capabilities of the enterprise stack of security and legacy application support.

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have to admit to my own hypocrisy – after bashing it with reckless abandon, I just bought the Surface Pro… As much as I don’t like certain aspects of it, the ability to run normal Windows apps just won out in the end, and in just two days it has already become part of my daily routine...

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have to admit to my own hypocrisy – after bashing it with reckless abandon, I just bought the Surface Pro… As much as I don’t like certain aspects of it, the ability to run normal Windows apps just won out in the end, and in just two days it has already become part of my daily routine...

Nothing wrong with that; you got what works for you. That's all that really matters.

I am so tired of the name calling and the "my device is better that yours" crap that goes on in forums, blog articles and comments to those articles. I hope it ends soon but it looks like it's just getting started. I've never seen so much passion for a material object, and so much hatred for a company or a person that uses a competing product. This is targeted at you @polbit, just felt like ranting.

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong with that; you got what works for you. That's all that really matters.

I am so tired of the name calling and the "my device is better that yours" crap that goes on in forums, blog articles and comments to those articles. I hope it ends soon but it looks like it's just getting started. I've never seen so much passion for a material object, and so much hatred for a company or a person that uses a competing product. This is targeted at you @polbit, just felt like ranting.

I understand what you mean, but that has been part of technology as long as I can remember. From Commodore 64 vs. ZX Specturm, Amiga vs Atari ST vs Mac, etc. the fanboyism is what drove brands. Nowdays the difference is that technology is everywhere and used by everybody, so it is that much more important to create loyal fans. It goes without saying that Apple has been the most successful as of late, but we all win in the end because of it - have you ever imagined Microsoft being the innovator? :)

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The Surface RT is a good device by spring 2010 standards. By fall 2012, it's half-baked. I hope the Surface RT 2 will bring it closer to the latest iPad in terms of specs and apps.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
There's bit many things that will make me like my Surface RT more than I already do, its exactly what I wanted. A lightweight tablet with live tiles, office, social integration, mail, and some games. Attachable keyboard and kick stand was also in my thought. You get what you pay for if you research. All I want now is more apps!!!!

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
The Surface RT is a good device by spring 2010 standards. By fall 2012, it's half-baked. I hope the Surface RT 2 will bring it closer to the latest iPad in terms of specs and apps.

To spec it like the iPad, they'd have to remove Office, the USB port, the SD card slot, the HDMI port, the keyboard, 1 GB of RAM, 32 GB of memory, 2 processor cores (3 actually, but Microsoft doesn't utilize the 5th), and the kickstand. Oh yeah, and increase the resolution. I'll grant you the screen should be 1920x1080 and there is more to overall performance than specs alone. But nothing on the RT is "spring 2010" as you claim.

wpward291

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

im curious, jn what way does the surface need to catch up to the ipad except the screen. hardware wise as you said above. I would argue the ipad needs to catch up to the surface. granted the screen on the ipad is better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb