Surface RT Trade In for Pro

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone read the rumors that Microsoft is implementing a trade-in program for the Surface RT towards the Surface Pro? The rumors don't seem to be gaining much traction, but who knows.

Even if I got the full return price, I'd keep my RT mainly because of battery life. And the fact that I'm getting along just fine with it now.

So who here would take advantage of the trade-in? I'd also like to hear thoughts of what you think it would mean if Microsoft did do this. Do you think it means they are giving up on the Surface RT, or Windows RT in general? Or maybe they just want to sell more Surface Pros?

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
This is interesting, I hadn't heard anything of this until a search this morning (thanks to you). I'll call my local pop-up when they open today and see which side of the story they're giving.

Like you, however, I may just keep my RT even if the trade offer is nice. While I don't know how much use I'd get out of it after the Pro, it would be nice to keep around.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
No chance of a trade in program, or no chance you would ever trade in your RT for a pro?

Unless Microsoft wanted to get rid of Surface RT, I can guarantee this will not happen.

EDIT:

If you REALLY want a Surface Pro to replace your Surface RT, you have until Jan 31. to return it (if you bought it between Nov. 1st and Christmas), although the Microsoft Store near me has been pretty lax on the return policy.

elyl

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No chance of a trade-in, none whatsoever. Companies are not that benevolent. And Microsoft has made no indication that it is killing off RT. If they offered a trade-in, they'd be as good as saying the ethos behind Windows 8/touch/store has been a flop, and they're no longer supporting it.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm sold on the RT, as it meets my home and school needs. I'm taking the money I would've used on the Pro and get myself one of them nice all in ones. Eyeing the VAIO Tap right now. But I do feel like I'm taking chance with the RT operating system. Lets hope they don't pull a WP7-WP8 fragmentation. At least with the Pro, its pretty much guaranteed support for years to come.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been investigating these the last week or so and have come to the conclusion that I will get the RT. Unless you just need all the stuff that the Pro gives you, the price is more along the lines of a desktop/laptop. My intention is not to replace either of those but enhance them. That said, the RT will provide me with exactly what I am looking for and it will work just fine for me at a far cheaper cost. For those planning to use one as their primary computing device then I'd say get the Pro. Otherwise, stick with the RT.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No way will MS be offering a trade-in. The Surface RT is less than 6 months old. They would never offer monetary value for still current hardware that they are still actively trying to sell. This would just be bad business.

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft "might" do this and here is my thought to why i say might. So people (none on this forum hopefully) may have gone and bought the Surface RT without proper investigation/research into it. To stop the negative press about this (as word of mouth is the best form of advertising) They may offer some sort of deal to usher people back onto the happy band wagon. Now just to get this straight before i am jumped up and down on, I don't think it will. Ad several people have said doing this will cause the tech community to slate Microsoft for ever releasing the Surface RT. I can see the headlines all over the Microsoft bashing tech press. But as i have explained its an option Microsoft have. Tech sites don't make or break a specific device / ecosystem (Palm was praised for webOS, look what happened) consumers do and if you have a happy consumer base you are more than likely to be successful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3