surface rt to hdtv question...

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok I have a question. I have a 15ft micro hdmi to hdmi cable. Yes it works fine. I have a 720p tv now and can connect it to the surface and use the surface screen like a touch remote on the tv. Like mirroring the image between the two devices. My question is when I get a new tv at 1080p will I still be able to do this? I want both screens to be running. None of this just on tv and surface screen blank. I know I could connect a mouse but I don't always have a mouse around me for it. Plus I think it would be awesome to use it the way I have been. Thanks for the comments/help.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
If you mirror to the 1080p TV, it will be 720p (mirror means both are the same resolution - and 1080p TVs can always do 720p). If you extend the desktop, you'd have to use the touch/type keyboard pad to get to the 2nd screen. If you don't mind the lower resolution, it will work fine at 720p.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind lower quality at 720p. But will it be like a plug and play or will I have to change the tv image? Or something......

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
If you mirror it will be 1366x768, the native resolution of the Surface RT. Extending the display will give you 720p or 1080p depending on the TV.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok one more question.. it will work in desktop mode as well as the more important side to me metro? Like all apps open and stuff no issue? I'm asking because I've read some unclear stuff and I'd like to clarify it.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, consider that all you're doing is projecting whatever is on your RT screen to whichever TV screen you connect to through that port and cable. There's not much else that is "working". Going back to your original question, whatever you've succeeded in learning and accomplishing with your current TV will apply and work with your new TV. I have an older 720 and a newer 1080 TV. I have Amazon Basics 15-footers attached to each and move devices from one TV to the other. I can pause a movie, for instance, pull the cable from one TV, connect the other cable, and I hear the connecting chime right away and resume the movie. Enjoy your new TV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234