Remote Desktop

IndieAdmirer

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, so I'm planning on buying the Surface RT for my birthday and I was looking into using the Remote Desktop as a way of using the programs/accessing the files on my home computer on the go. That being said, I have a couple of questions of how it works.
First of all, will I be able to access my home desktop with Remote Desktop with any WiFi signal, regardless of where I am? For example, if I'm at my school and have a couple of hours to kill between classes, would I be able to use my school's WiFi to access my home computer when I'm so far away?
Secondly, will I be able to use it to go on Spotify, Chrome, etc. and have those programs fully functioning? (Spotify particularly)
Lastly, how does using Remote Desktop affect battery life on the Surface RT? One of the reasons I want to get one (besides the productivity aspect and the sheer beauty of the thing) is that it has about 8-10 hour battery life. If using Remote Desktop for an hour or two kills a majority of the battery, I might not want to use the feature very much.
Thanks!

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Remote Desktop works well under W8 RT and I doubt it drains your battery much more than web browsing since all the real processing is happening on the remote machine. The one drawback about Remote Desktop is that you need to know the exact address of where you are going and often times that might change based on your service provider. Other than that, it works well as I regularly RDP into my servers for work using my Surface.

All you need to do is open the firewall on the machine you want to connect to allow remote access. You may also want to set a policy about whom (which account) you will allow to remote in.

So if you can somehaw get a consistent ip address for you home machine, theoretically you can connect form anywhere.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to add my experience. I had a very hard time setting up Remote Desktop so I gave in and downloaded the TeamViewer app and it works surprisingly well! Battery life is literally the same as if I were just web browsing and it performs with almost no lag!

Just my 2 cents on something similar.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3