Surface RT with 48W power supply?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The Surface RT comes with a 24W power supply. The Surface Pro comes with the 48W power supply. Will the 48W power supply charge my Surface RT faster or is the extra wattage just for the usb port on the power supply?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I would strongly suggest checking with Microsoft on this one. They have conflicting information on the Surface page and Microsoft Store page. One says they are each compatible with both devices and the other states explicitly that the 24W adapter is exclusively for RT and 48W is exclusively for Pro.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
it doesn't matter, I've analyzed the carge process with a Kill a watt and the wattage drops as the battery gets charged to capacity. It is going to take the same amount of time because the surface backs off the charge.

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
the 48W charger works for RT but I don't think it'll change the charging speed. Pro has a 48w charger because it requires more power when being used.. so for the battery to still charge more power need to be supplied.. advantage of using 48w charger with RT is the extra USB power port and extended power cord.

Last edited:

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
The Surface RT comes with a 24W power supply. The Surface Pro comes with the 48W power supply. Will the 48W power supply charge my Surface RT faster or is the extra wattage just for the usb port on the power supply?

Actually, yes it will work (Surface battery | Surface power | Recharge Surface), and yes it will charge faster (although the post doesn't mention it, I am pretty sure it was covered in the recent Reddit AMA with the surface pro folks I am Panos Panay with the Surface Windows 8 Pro Engineering Team AMAA. : IAmA)

shizoframia

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Will the Surface RT car charger work for the Surface Pro and just take longer or are there other issues?

I was also looking for this info. I found this reply by an official Microsoft employee:
"The 48-watt power supply included with your Surface Pro (or purchased separately) can be used to charge Surface RT. The 24-watt power supply designed for Surface RT can be used to charge Surface Pro, but the charging will take much longer."

This info can be found on the following page:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-pro-and-a-surface-rt-can-i-use/20cd21ff-8fa5

So both can be used for the 'wrong' device. The RT charger will charge the PRO slower (24w) while the PRO charger will the RT at a normal speed (without frying the circuits). I am using both chargers/devices and am now mainly using the 48w PRO charger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3