Splashtop client app for Win RT is coming soon

Michael Muscat

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
This is fantastic news. One of the final pieces of the puzzle I was waiting for! I'll finally be able to stream games and programs from my desktop PC to my surface seamlessly.

jazzdoc

May 20, 2005
Visit site
The big difference between RDP and Splashtop (or Logmein or gotomypc for that matter) is that you have control of the desktop computer simultaneously from the tablet and from your keyboard/mouse/monitor with Splashtop. You can move from one room to the next with the desktop on your tablet, but come right back to the physical desktop and keep working. No blanked out screen, no logging back in. This is perfect in my office environment as I may be totally mobile, yet still able to work with my PC applications in a way that I am unable to work with RDP. The lack of one of these programs is what is keeping me from using Win RT on a regular basis. (Splashtop has been the best of all the various products when it comes to supporting multiple platforms. I also prefer their interface...I'll be putting this on my Dell as soon as it comes out.)

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I am very curious as to how this works - if it is better than Teamviewer, or native RDP. Does it do what they say - can you stream video??

Michael Muscat

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
You could try disabling network optimization under Settings->Options

I can confirm that 3d games run smoothly! (must be windowed mode). Mouse movements don't seem to capture correctly (screen spins madly). Hopefully a game pad works better. Also hope this app gets proper support from the developers, it could definitely use improvement.

pfroo40

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not impressed. It doesn't seem to be really any more responsive than just using remote desktop, and in fact it pixilates terribly when trying to do anything. And no full screen video overlay support? Forget about using it for any reasonable gaming. I'm using it on my LAN with wireless N that averages about 6MB/s network transfer rate.

How is it that OnLive and such can stream pretty darn high quality gaming over a normal internet connection but nobody can manage a similar experience with remote desktop sharing?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Meh - I tried it last night - paid for a 1 month subscription (1.99$) and I am not very pleased. Maybe its my slower wireless router (Linksys G), I don't know, but it was virtually unusable. There was pixelation, and a full second lag on mouse scrolls, drags, clicks, etc. Id say it might be my connection, but using teamviewer on the same wireless connection the lag is a lot less. That being said, I was able to play audio with no lag. Video had minimal lag until I had to use the mouse - same as if I was trying to do work. I paid for 1 month, so hopefully some updates come along, and we can see if its improved. Until then, I will keep using Teamviewer which is free.

sportex

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a 30 meg connection and it still lags and has pixellation for me. I doubt itll be your connection. Defo problems with the app itself in my opinion

I Spiritus I

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll try it out tonight. I find it very usefuly. Managed to stream a movie (mkv) from my PC through splashtop to my surface which was connected to a tv in another room. Quality seemed really good imo. It did lag ever so slightly on the odd occassion though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo