Option for Folders on Start Screen

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
home1.jpg
I actually really like the start screen the way it is but I still find myself wanting to organize just one more level and would really like the option for folders. I think they could do it so that it would look nice and still fit in. There could be an option to make the folder take up as many or as little amount of tiles as the user wanted. When you clicked into the folder I think they could make it look very nice as well just don't have any ideas on that right now. Would you use this or is it just me?

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I like folders and I think IE needs folders even more than the start screen. I hate the string of favorites in Windows 8 and have no idea what the Microsoft designers were thinking.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You can already pin folders and libraries to the start screen. Press and hold a folder or library name in Windows Explorer and choose pin to start off the context menu. Other than resizing the tile, I really don't quite see what this adds beyond the existing functionality.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I would not. You can group tiles, and name the group. This is your "folder". Then pinch out to quickly navigate between groups.

no this "is not the same thing". i have done this and its fine but at the rate that I am getting apps its going to get way too long on the screen. I would like something like iOS folders, even though i really can't stand the look of their OS

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
no this "is not the same thing". i have done this and its fine but at the rate that I am getting apps its going to get way too long on the screen. I would like something like iOS folders, even though i really can't stand the look of their OS

You don't need to put every app on the start screen. I only pin the ones I use constantly. The others are available via "all apps", or just winkey and typing a few letters.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to put every app on the start screen. I only pin the ones I use constantly. The others are available via "all apps", or just winkey and typing a few letters.

I can organize my home screen however I want and you can your way. I know all the options available. I know you can view the others in all apps. But I have all the apps that I need and want on the home screen. So for me yeah I want more options, if you don't fine but don't tell me what I should want or how to organize my home screen. Obviously this is not an option people care about and that's ok so I must be one of the only ones, that's the purpose of starting topics

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me like the Windows 8/RT designers intentionally avoided folders. I am not sure why they would do that but I can't understand why they thought having a string of 100 favorites in IE was better than organizing them into folders. Sure you can search for a favorite but you can only search when you know the name of the favorite. For example, I have a large number of work related favorites and I sometimes need to scan them to think of which website is going to be best for a particular need. I looked at the Microsoft support website for a solution and the answer was basically to use the IE in the desktop. Why is the old folder-based browser more efficient than the new browser?

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me like the Windows 8/RT designers intentionally avoided folders. I am not sure why they would do that but I can't understand why they thought having a string of 100 favorites in IE was better than organizing them into folders. Sure you can search for a favorite but you can only search when you know the name of the favorite. For example, I have a large number of work related favorites and I sometimes need to scan them to think of which website is going to be best for a particular need. I looked at the Microsoft support website for a solution and the answer was basically to use the IE in the desktop. Why is the old folder-based browser more efficient than the new browser?

I agree completely with this. This is very basic stuff and there is no excuse to exclude it in an interface meant to replace the desktop. Metro/Modern will never succeed unless Microsoft addresses these kinds of things, which I would think would be obvious to even the greenest programmers and dullest executives involved with the project. But evidently not.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Add folders = lose live tiles, you know, the thing the whole OS was built from?

id rather have groupings. Point of the live tiles is that you have the information right there and ready! Technically its already showing you information before you even click on it! For everything else, just type the first 3 letters and BOOM its there! Don't even have to navigate through folders!

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Add folders = lose live tiles, you know, the thing the whole OS was built from?

id rather have groupings. Point of the live tiles is that you have the information right there and ready! Technically its already showing you information before you even click on it! For everything else, just type the first 3 letters and BOOM its there! Don't even have to navigate through folders!

There are no groupings or live tiles in IE. It's just a mess and there's no excuse for it.

Groupings and searching work great...if you remember the exact name of every document and program you have ever put on it. Win8/RT is supposedly a replacement for the desktop, so it needs more capable and flexible organization.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
There are no groupings or live tiles in IE. It's just a mess and there's no excuse for it.

Groupings and searching work great...if you remember the exact name of every document and program you have ever put on it. Win8/RT is supposedly a replacement for the desktop, so it needs more capable and flexible organization.

oh no I definitely agree we need folders in IE. and maybe even in the apps list, but definitely not on the start screen!

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
oh no I definitely agree we need folders in IE. and maybe even in the apps list, but definitely not on the start screen!

Android and iOS both added folder functionality to the home screens because there was a large demand for it.

I would just agree to disagree. But when it's optional you don't have to use it right? So there's really no reason to be against it. People like choices, which is why Android is taking over the mobile market.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Android and iOS both added folder functionality to the home screens because there was a large demand for it.

I would just agree to disagree. But when it's optional you don't have to use it right? So there's really no reason to be against it. People like choices, which is why Android is taking over the mobile market.

This is exactly my point! Maybe my example drawing wasn't the greatest but I think windows could make it look really nice and fit in much better than I previewed.Then the only other thing I would like is a notification center and it would be to me the best OS on the market. (to be honest I already think it is but this would just be nice to have)

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't shoot the messenger. If you want a desktop with folders, you have it already. Its the desktop.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't shoot the messenger. If you want a desktop with folders, you have it already. Its the desktop.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Not even going to bother.... I really do hope they include this feature eventually as an option bug I guess we will just have to see

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism