surface memory left on a refresh boot

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I just today rebooted my surface to factory settings and performed all the updates that were available. I'm left with 13.3gb left. If Microsoft keeps piling on to the memory that's at hand what's gonna happen say 6 months to a year from now? They really should just open up the sd card for storage without needing to hack into the system. That's about the only plausible thing I can see that would work to keep the surface Rt relevant with enough memory.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
as stated above, the process creates an old windows account that is not needed unless there are things u want to retrieve. U will need to go to the desk top and search under computer, then hard disk drive, then in the" Windows" folder i think. there u will see the old.windows folder and it takes up a lot of space

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Google "remove windows.old". You're in the right spot, but if I remember correctly, you have to do something twice, or there's an advanced option in disk cleanup.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I currently don't have that file folder. I don't even see anything in disk cleanup that would be it. I love my surface alot and I won't get rid of it but it seems its turning into one expensive internet surfer device. What is preventing them from just opening up the micro slot?

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I've ran disk cleanup. Only gave me a few Mb. And I still can't find windows.old folder.

Did you run BOTH disk cleanups? I'm assuming we're talking the 32GB version of the surface, and that you didn't delete the recovery partition. If that's all true, you're seeing close to what you should see (16GB free).

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Run disk clean up again and do the following:

1) Tap the advanced clean up button and when it pops back up on the screen;
2) Go to the second tab and delete system restore points then;
3) Go back to the first tab and check all check boxes - one or two of them are very large back up folders;
4) Run the clean up routine

If you do not see the folders with the backup in disk clean up either you are not in advanced mode or something went wrong with the refresh (former is likely and latter is extremely rare). The same goes if you go to file explorer and cannot see a folder called something like sys_reset and another called windows.old. In that case, you are either not looking at the root directory structure under C or refresh did not run correctly (again unlikely). With respect to Microsoft simply allowing the use of external storage for programs installation, it is unlikely you will see that any time soon (translate that as ever). It is contrary to the design and security paradigms of every version of Windows. If that is essential to you, look up the registry hack (which isn't perfect) or buy an Android tablet. Even on an Android tablet you would have to root the device.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you run BOTH disk cleanups? I'm assuming we're talking the 32GB version of the surface, and that you didn't delete the recovery partition. If that's all true, you're seeing close to what you should see (16GB free).
Yes it is the 32gb version. Yes I've ran both sides of it. No recovery is still on the system. So in another 3 or so months I'm gonna lose another 3gb on avg for updates as well? That would put me at 10gb left after the system does its thing. Then 3 months after that I'm down to 7gb. See what I'm talking about? Microsoft needs to do something about the memory issue. Without us avg consumers needing to hack the machine. So my question still stands what's keeping them from opening up the microsd slot for full use?

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok just went back through both sides of cleanup and the more options side. My disk space still sits at 13.3 gb. I don't even have any apps installed. I did before my factory reset but but the only ones on it are the ones that came on it.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
computer/hard disk drive/windows (c:)

windows.old should be listed right next to windows. if not, then it didn't get created. But 13.3 GB is suspect, as I sit with about 14GB and I have a lot of apps installed.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Later today I'll perform another factory reset. And then I'll report back later then on the memory issue. You having 14 with apps does make me wonder.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I reset my surface again. This time I started with 17gb. Then after first wave of updates 18 of them went to 15.5gb. Then second wave 12 of them down to 15.2gb and the final of 17 updates puts me down to 14.8gb. So I have a little more than 1gb then the previous reset. Which I'm thankful for. But still leaves the question to what's gonna happen when Microsoft takes all the space for updates? also id put images up but theres no button on here that shows up to add the photos. I browse for the photo but that's it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99