Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Ok so I just today rebooted my surface to factory settings and performed all the updates that were available. I'm left with 13.3gb left. If Microsoft keeps piling on to the memory that's at hand what's gonna happen say 6 months to a year from now? They really should just open up the sd card for storage without needing to hack into the system. That's about the only plausible thing I can see that would work to keep the surface Rt relevant with enough memory.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Check to see if the refresh created a windows.old folder. Delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Check to see if the refresh created a windows.old folder. Delete it.
    ok I searched and searched. I cannot find that folder.

Run disk cleanup.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    as stated above, the process creates an old windows account that is not needed unless there are things u want to retrieve. U will need to go to the desk top and search under computer, then hard disk drive, then in the" Windows" folder i think. there u will see the old.windows folder and it takes up a lot of space

I've ran disk cleanup. Only gave me a few Mb. And I still can't find windows.old folder.

Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Google "remove windows.old". You're in the right spot, but if I remember correctly, you have to do something twice, or there's an advanced option in disk cleanup.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I currently don't have that file folder. I don't even see anything in disk cleanup that would be it. I love my surface alot and I won't get rid of it but it seems its turning into one expensive internet surfer device. What is preventing them from just opening up the micro slot?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroplanetz View Post
    I've ran disk cleanup. Only gave me a few Mb. And I still can't find windows.old folder.
    Did you run BOTH disk cleanups? I'm assuming we're talking the 32GB version of the surface, and that you didn't delete the recovery partition. If that's all true, you're seeing close to what you should see (16GB free).

Global Posts
    923 Global Posts
    Run disk clean up again and do the following:

1) Tap the advanced clean up button and when it pops back up on the screen;
    2) Go to the second tab and delete system restore points then;
    3) Go back to the first tab and check all check boxes - one or two of them are very large back up folders;
    4) Run the clean up routine

If you do not see the folders with the backup in disk clean up either you are not in advanced mode or something went wrong with the refresh (former is likely and latter is extremely rare). The same goes if you go to file explorer and cannot see a folder called something like sys_reset and another called windows.old. In that case, you are either not looking at the root directory structure under C or refresh did not run correctly (again unlikely). With respect to Microsoft simply allowing the use of external storage for programs installation, it is unlikely you will see that any time soon (translate that as ever). It is contrary to the design and security paradigms of every version of Windows. If that is essential to you, look up the registry hack (which isn't perfect) or buy an Android tablet. Even on an Android tablet you would have to root the device.
    Yeah open disk cleanup and there is advanced on the bottom left

Quote Originally Posted by johninsj View Post
    Did you run BOTH disk cleanups? I'm assuming we're talking the 32GB version of the surface, and that you didn't delete the recovery partition. If that's all true, you're seeing close to what you should see (16GB free).
    Yes it is the 32gb version. Yes I've ran both sides of it. No recovery is still on the system. So in another 3 or so months I'm gonna lose another 3gb on avg for updates as well? That would put me at 10gb left after the system does its thing. Then 3 months after that I'm down to 7gb. See what I'm talking about? Microsoft needs to do something about the memory issue. Without us avg consumers needing to hack the machine. So my question still stands what's keeping them from opening up the microsd slot for full use?

Ok just went back through both sides of cleanup and the more options side. My disk space still sits at 13.3 gb. I don't even have any apps installed. I did before my factory reset but but the only ones on it are the ones that came on it.

I wonder if ccleaner works with 8.... You can delete old windows update downloads with ccleaner.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    computer/hard disk drive/windows (c:)

windows.old should be listed right next to windows. if not, then it didn't get created. But 13.3 GB is suspect, as I sit with about 14GB and I have a lot of apps installed.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BENNIEV View Post
    I wonder if ccleaner works with 8.... You can delete old windows update downloads with ccleaner.
    ccleaner doesn't have an RT version.

Later today I'll perform another factory reset. And then I'll report back later then on the memory issue. You having 14 with apps does make me wonder.
    Later today I'll perform another factory reset. And then I'll report back later then on the memory issue. You having 14 with apps does make me wonder.
    Let us know how u make out. I suppose it is possible that we have received 2+ gigs of updates between Windows and Office.

Ok so I reset my surface again. This time I started with 17gb. Then after first wave of updates 18 of them went to 15.5gb. Then second wave 12 of them down to 15.2gb and the final of 17 updates puts me down to 14.8gb. So I have a little more than 1gb then the previous reset. Which I'm thankful for. But still leaves the question to what's gonna happen when Microsoft takes all the space for updates? also id put images up but theres no button on here that shows up to add the photos. I browse for the photo but that's it.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    I have never owned a device in which the updates alone took all of the space.

Eat a Snickers.

Ok so I reset my surface again. This time I started with 17gb. Then after first wave of updates 18 of them went to 15.5gb. Then second wave 12 of them down to 15.2gb and the final of 17 updates puts me down to 14.8gb. So I have a little more than 1gb then the previous reset. Which I'm thankful for. But still leaves the question to what's gonna happen when Microsoft takes all the space for updates? also id put images up but theres no button on here that shows up to add the photos. I browse for the photo but that's it.
    When RT updates store apps, it keeps the previous version around for a few weeks, unless disk space is low. In either case it should eventually recover that space.

The 32GB device doesn't have a ton of space for user files, but there is nothing stopping you from getting a 64GB sd card for $40 and using it for your storage. That's what I do.

Yea I picked up 64gb card already. I just gotta figure out how to store the apps on it now.

Question for people who have setup there microsd card.
    1 - to link the apps do they all have to be in one location? Or can I use the hard drive and card? Also will updates work normally once the card is setup?
    2 - does my music photos and videos have to be linked into the card as well or can that be on the hard drive? Like if the Xbox music app is on the card does the music itself have to be on the card as well? Thanks for any info in advance.

Ok so Tuesday night I put in for a warranty exchange and it was delivered today (Thursday) around lunch time. That's super fast if you ask me. I came across two dead pixels and my touch cover I noticed at the seam when flip to the back started pull. Anyways, with this new machine I have slightly more memory, the keyboard seems more responsive on the touch screen and my screen is over all more vibrant. Its not just me that notices it either. I don't know if there's some system tweaks done or what. Also my replacements were brand new. So yea I dunno but I'm glad I got a replacement now lol.