RT and Printers

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in purchasing a Surface RT but I hesitate because of the available printers that will work on the RT. I use a few all in one printers and none of them are RT compatible. Is there a work around for an issue like this?

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Have you searched the Microsoft compatibility site?
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

Yes I did and almost all of the printers will work except functions like scanning which is important to me. I use Brother MFC 7340 all in one laser printers but I would loose the scan to pdf option.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a wireless Office Jet 6700. It just works with my RT and showed up automatically under devices. I didn't have to set anything up. I can scan, fax, copy and print.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a Brother DCP7065DN Laser Printer for $99 at Office Depot and I can print from the Surface RT. Very easy setup.

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
The compatibility list is nonsense. I've had no problem printing from Surface to a number of printers, new and old. Epson, HP, Canon and Brother.

There is also the option to use email print, if supported by the printer, ie send the document to the printer's email address, a-la Epson Connect and similar driverless solutions.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Windows will install the necessary drivers. Only thing you will be missing are the full featured software that you would install on desktop. But windows' generic printer/fax/copy software works just fine.

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I will say i have no problems with the HP printers I've used it on but with the Samsung printer regularly would have liked to use it didn't work, the cartridge lasted longer on the Samsung and prints pages alot quicker though the HP printer is wireless.

brauntex

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Some of the recent all-in-ones support printing and scanning. I can confirm the Canon Pixma MX432 prints and scans via a Wi-Fi connection with the drivers installed automatically by Win RT.
Click on the printer icon for the supported printer on Devices and Printers (control panel) and the scan functions/properties can be accessed.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know if you can access more advance options when printing from Surface RT? I have a Canon all in one printer and although I can print from the Surface, it doesn't seem to provide me with the option to print double sided. I can do that on my laptop though since I installed the User Software which provides a lot of other options.

I print almost all my documents double sided, so I won't be able to print anything from my Surface till there's a way to do so. Can someone help me with this?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes I did and almost all of the printers will work except functions like scanning which is important to me. I use Brother MFC 7340 all in one laser printers but I would loose the scan to pdf option.

On my printer, the scan to pdf is a setting within the printer. I've never tried scanning a pdf to my Surface. Hum, interesting. I can't remember if my printer is connected to the desktop via cable or wireless.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know if you can access more advance options when printing from Surface RT? I have a Canon all in one printer and although I can print from the Surface, it doesn't seem to provide me with the option to print double sided. I can do that on my laptop though since I installed the User Software which provides a lot of other options.

I print almost all my documents double sided, so I won't be able to print anything from my Surface till there's a way to do so. Can someone help me with this?

Are you just right clicking on file and hitting print? Try opening the file first and print from within the program/app (ex MS Word or Reader) and you should get more print options.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

On my printer, the scan to pdf is a setting within the printer. I've never tried scanning a pdf to my Surface. Hum, interesting. I can't remember if my printer is connected to the desktop via cable or wireless.

Try using the native Windows Fax and Scan app and see if that gives the option. Just type "scan" in the charm search field.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
listen folks the All In Ones are NOT going to work because they require extensive software to access the functions from the computer. Some AIOs like HP have a web server built into the printer that you can bypass the native desktop software, but they are the exception not the rule. Microsoft has only bragged about the PRINTING part of Surface, not the AIO functions, because they are just using basic built in drivers.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The XEROX printers at my uni don't work at all, not even basic print. You cannot install the printer because there are no drivers, how stupid of my uni to choose brand new printers that aren't compatible

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte