Surface RT Regular Maintenance

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
What does everyone else find themselves doing to keep their Surface RT experience snappy?

I have found a few things that have helped, usually try to run them once a week, or more often if I feel the RT is getting sluggish:

Restart
Disk Cleanup
Defrag (Optimize SSD)

These are all 3 native tools to Windows 8, so nothing else needs to be installed to do these.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I restart daily by turning it off before bed and start fresh in the morning. I let windows defrag on a daily schedule.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What does everyone else find themselves doing to keep their Surface RT experience snappy?

I have found a few things that have helped, usually try to run them once a week, or more often if I feel the RT is getting sluggish:

Restart
Disk Cleanup
Defrag (Optimize SSD)

These are all 3 native tools to Windows 8, so nothing else needs to be installed to do these.

Unfortunately, only restarting (to reclaim lost memory) will help.

Disk Cleanup does a lot of its work (the work it doesn't need you to decide on) during a wekly maintenance cycle. Defrag doesn't run against the SSD (and shouldn't on SSDs). Windows Update runs, security scans are performed and various cleanup of unused files is performed as part of the Windows 8/RT Maintenance Tasks.

Except for the occasional restart, Windows 7, 8/RT do a great job of maintaining themselves.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I restart daily by turning it off before bed and start fresh in the morning. I let windows defrag on a daily schedule.

I find that when I turn it off for the night and back on in the morning, the daily maintenance tasks don't run automatically. So I end up doing it myself.

enjoylife949

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I hate to admit this but I have not been using my Surface RT very much. But I do leave it turned on in sleep mode and plugged into power. Whenever I do use it, it runs very well and I see that it does most of the updates on its own. Seems like a very stable system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos