Surface RT with Surface Pro stylus?

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
How many times must I say it? I don't want a tablet with Windows 8 Pro. I already have a Windows 8 Pro desktop and laptop.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't understand your need to not get another Windows 8/Pro tablet. It'd be much more mobile, and you'd get the digitizer support for which you're looking, at the same price as an RT. With an Atom processor, you'd get about the same battery life and be able to run both RT and x86 applications. Is there any reason you're shying away from them besides the fact that it's Windows 8 Pro?

I'm not trying to bash, flame, or troll. This is purely so that I can understand the situation a bit better. :D

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna be honest, I don't understand your need to not get another Windows 8/Pro tablet. It'd be much more mobile, and you'd get the digitizer support for which you're looking, at the same price as an RT. With an Atom processor, you'd get about the same battery life and be able to run both RT and x86 applications. Is there any reason you're shying away from them besides the fact that it's Windows 8 Pro?

I'm not trying to bash, flame, or troll. This is purely so that I can understand the situation a bit better. :D

When I'm on the go I'll be doing things like inking etc, writing up notes in lectures, that sort of stuff. I don't actually need any legacy applications for that sort of stuff (that I am aware of from my experiences with Win8 Pro. On the laptop and desktop that's different though). Plus Windows 8 Pro feels overkill for me. And it's fine. You weren't flaming bashing etc. I'll admit I responded harshly to the guy. And for that I apologise.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
When I'm on the go I'll be doing things like inking etc, writing up notes in lectures, that sort of stuff. I don't actually need any legacy applications for that sort of stuff (that I am aware of from my experiences with Win8 Pro. On the laptop and desktop that's different though). Plus Windows 8 Pro feels overkill for me. And it's fine. You weren't flaming bashing etc. I'll admit I responded harshly to the guy. And for that I apologise.

Unfortunately, while it may be overkill on a tablet, if you want to use a Windows tablet with digitizer support, I believe you're going to have to use something that supports full Windows 8. As someone mentioned, none of the RT tablets have it built in, and there is no mention of an RT tablet that's coming out with it in the near future.

I'd say, if you don't want full Windows 8 on the tablet, then go for the Samsung Note series. It's a fine tablet and I know a few people that really love their S-Pen support in Android, and use it frequently. Gotta stick with what makes you happy. ;)

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
if you want something cheap, I would suggest the Lenovo think pad 2. If you want something more powerful and better, get the surface pro. I got the surface pro for the digitizer since i take notes and i am loving it.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, while it may be overkill on a tablet, if you want to use a Windows tablet with digitizer support, I believe you're going to have to use something that supports full Windows 8. As someone mentioned, none of the RT tablets have it built in, and there is no mention of an RT tablet that's coming out with it in the near future.

I'd say, if you don't want full Windows 8 on the tablet, then go for the Samsung Note series. It's a fine tablet and I know a few people that really love their S-Pen support in Android, and use it frequently. Gotta stick with what makes you happy. ;)

Yeah, gotta admit it looks really nice. Wish it was all on-screen buttons like the 10.1, woulda been perfect. Minor niggle though in the grand scheme of things, coming from the HTC Flyer... :unhappy:

if you want something cheap, I would suggest the Lenovo think pad 2. If you want something more powerful and better, get the surface pro. I got the surface pro for the digitizer since i take notes and i am loving it.

I wouldn't consider ?550 for a tablet cheap! Plus I think it's a W8 Pro device again, and I haven't seen anything of stylus support.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 has stylus support, and is considered a favorite over at Engadget. You are correct in saying that it's a "pro" and comes with an Atom processor. I've been searching around since this thread has started and I have found no RT device with digitizer pen input. :(

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
RT doesn't support any digitizer stylus. If you want a stylus, just get the Samsung ATIV Smart PC, or the Asus VivoTab. They run on intel but is faster than arm and has comparable battery life.

Does the 10" Vivotab support active stylus? I thought only the 11" models did.

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Here are my thoughts on RT vs PRO: Link

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Here are my thoughts on RT vs PRO: Link

Yeah, it does look as though I'm getting a Note 8.0 - but one thing that is potentially going to keep me to the Surface. On Windows RT (not Pro), is there a NFC writer app available that will write and lock tags, similar to Android? Or is there an app available for the Lumia 920?

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920 has Nokia's NFC Writer or NFC Launchit. There are more, but these are the first two that come to mind.

As for RT, I'm searching the store on my Surface RT and not finding anything, really.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 920 has Nokia's NFC Writer or NFC Launchit. There are more, but these are the first two that come to mind.

As for RT, I'm searching the store on my Surface RT and not finding anything, really.

Yes but on Android as far as I'm aware there are plenty apps that can lock the tags, but on WP they stay open. I have the Nokia NFC Writer app, but I don't think it locks the tags :(

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes but on Android as far as I'm aware there are plenty apps that can lock the tags, but on WP they stay open. I have the Nokia NFC Writer app, but I don't think it locks the tags :(

I completely skipped over the "Locking" part. I think you're correct in that it doesn't lock them.

Last edited:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I completely skipped over the "Locking" part. I think you're correct in that it doesn't lock them.

Which is something I would like when developing NFC tags to promote my work. Write them with the Nokia, then validate and lock them with the other device as the Nokia NFC software is so simple, it's quietly brilliant.

Morce106

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello
I would like to ask. Is there a difference between digitizer for Microsoft Surface RT 1a Digitizer for Microsoft Surface PRO 1?

Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3