Surface RT with Surface Pro stylus?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So, I've been told that a recent update to the Surface RT unlocked the dual-digitizer technology inside of it, thus allowing styluses like the one on the Pro to be used. Can anyone confirm if this is true please? If it is, then the Surface RT is set to be a really nice device for me. Perhaps the upgrade to my HTC Flyer too.

aldovelco

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
This is not true because the digitizer is not a software thing but hardware. Surface RT won't be able to use Wacom-like stylus

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
*sigh* I guess that means unless the 8.x" Surface RT that's rumoured supports it, I'm gonna have to go Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 for my next tab :unhappy:

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Who told you this? There is no dual-digitizer technology beyond the controller chip itself. It just has a capacitive touch screen. The digitizer layer is only included on Pro.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you contemplated the Samsung Ativ Smart? It comes with the S-Pen built-in. And then you at least can use Windows 8. It's only a bit more than the Surface RT (although, an inch bigger, too).

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Have you contemplated the Samsung Ativ Smart? It comes with the S-Pen built-in. And then you at least can use Windows 8. It's only a bit more than the Surface RT (although, an inch bigger, too).

I want RT/ARM, not Pro/X86. I have a MacBook Pro with Windows 8 Pro on it already, so I wouldn't want to use a Pro tablet. But stylus support is a must for me.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the digital inking on the Pro is impressive, but what is not impressive is the lack of OneNote MX support for it. popping out to Desktop app to ink is kludgy.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
One of my friends from uni john. Then again, he's a proper Apple guy. iPhone, iPad, and modded MacBook Pro.

Well, he's right that there is the same controller chip in the RT and Pro, but he's wrong that RT shipped with a very expensive but disabled digitizer layer. I'd find another rumor source ;)

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
You can use a stylus with the RT, but not the same one that is usable on the Pro. If you want one for taking note in OneNote for example, you just need to buy a capacitive stylus.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You can use a stylus with the RT, but not the same one that is usable on the Pro. If you want one for taking note in OneNote for example, you just need to buy a capacitive stylus.

Which isn't enough for me and the whole reason I chose the HTC Flyer originally. No other tablet met my needs. Now there is the Galaxy Note series. Anyways I am predicting this will turn into nothing more than personal attacks so will close it should it even remotely come to that.

matthewryans

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
RT doesn't support any digitizer stylus. If you want a stylus, just get the Samsung ATIV Smart PC, or the Asus VivoTab. They run on intel but is faster than arm and has comparable battery life.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Which isn't enough for me and the whole reason I chose the HTC Flyer originally. No other tablet met my needs. Now there is the Galaxy Note series. Anyways I am predicting this will turn into nothing more than personal attacks so will close it should it even remotely come to that.

I actually have a lot of respect for Samsung when it comes to utilizing digitizers and the pens for them in their products. Look at the Note series of phones. It's QUITE useful to have the S-Pen. I didn't go with a Samsung tablet this time (ie: the Ativ) because I just don't have much need for that. My girlfriend, on the other hand, is a traditional artist and would love a tablet with a Wacom pen and has been wanting to get a Note series phone or tablet for a while.

I really wish HTC has hit it out of the park with their tablet line. I liked them back in the Droid Incredible/Nexus One days and would have liked to have seen them succeed.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
RT doesn't support any digitizer stylus. If you want a stylus, just get the Samsung ATIV Smart PC, or the Asus VivoTab. They run on intel but is faster than arm and has comparable battery life.

How many times must I say it? I don't want a tablet with Windows 8 Pro. I already have a Windows 8 Pro desktop and laptop.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
the digital inking on the Pro is impressive, but what is not impressive is the lack of OneNote MX support for it. popping out to Desktop app to ink is kludgy.

Is this one of the apps that won't support inking on the Pro until there are updates? I know OneNote MX supports inking but I have also heard that the Pro needs some updates.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
You can use Tragus 2-n-1 stylus for things like Evernote and OneNote. It has a rubber tip, not digitized, but works great. I use it for note taking all the time in my travels.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3