Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    So, I've been told that a recent update to the Surface RT unlocked the dual-digitizer technology inside of it, thus allowing styluses like the one on the Pro to be used. Can anyone confirm if this is true please? If it is, then the Surface RT is set to be a really nice device for me. Perhaps the upgrade to my HTC Flyer too.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

This is not true because the digitizer is not a software thing but hardware. Surface RT won't be able to use Wacom-like stylus
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    *sigh* I guess that means unless the 8.x" Surface RT that's rumoured supports it, I'm gonna have to go Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 for my next tab

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Who told you this? There is no dual-digitizer technology beyond the controller chip itself. It just has a capacitive touch screen. The digitizer layer is only included on Pro.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    One of my friends from uni john. Then again, he's a proper Apple guy. iPhone, iPad, and modded MacBook Pro.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    Have you contemplated the Samsung Ativ Smart? It comes with the S-Pen built-in. And then you at least can use Windows 8. It's only a bit more than the Surface RT (although, an inch bigger, too).
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    Have you contemplated the Samsung Ativ Smart? It comes with the S-Pen built-in. And then you at least can use Windows 8. It's only a bit more than the Surface RT (although, an inch bigger, too).
    I want RT/ARM, not Pro/X86. I have a MacBook Pro with Windows 8 Pro on it already, so I wouldn't want to use a Pro tablet. But stylus support is a must for me.

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    the digital inking on the Pro is impressive, but what is not impressive is the lack of OneNote MX support for it. popping out to Desktop app to ink is kludgy.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    OneNote MX does inking...I use it daily.

Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts
    The Surface RT 2 will have active digitizer.

Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    Maybe.... maybe not since Microsoft wants to make the difference between the RT and the Pro model very noticeable.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    Cool, hopefully it is a smaller size too (~8") and is priced competitively to the iPad Mini. That would then pretty much sell it on me over the Galaxy Note 8.0 - but hopefully it utilizes the snap view too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    One of my friends from uni john. Then again, he's a proper Apple guy. iPhone, iPad, and modded MacBook Pro.
    Well, he's right that there is the same controller chip in the RT and Pro, but he's wrong that RT shipped with a very expensive but disabled digitizer layer. I'd find another rumor source ;)

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    You can use a stylus with the RT, but not the same one that is usable on the Pro. If you want one for taking note in OneNote for example, you just need to buy a capacitive stylus.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiv X View Post
    You can use a stylus with the RT, but not the same one that is usable on the Pro. If you want one for taking note in OneNote for example, you just need to buy a capacitive stylus.
    Which isn't enough for me and the whole reason I chose the HTC Flyer originally. No other tablet met my needs. Now there is the Galaxy Note series. Anyways I am predicting this will turn into nothing more than personal attacks so will close it should it even remotely come to that.

RT doesn't support any digitizer stylus. If you want a stylus, just get the Samsung ATIV Smart PC, or the Asus VivoTab. They run on intel but is faster than arm and has comparable battery life.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    Which isn't enough for me and the whole reason I chose the HTC Flyer originally. No other tablet met my needs. Now there is the Galaxy Note series. Anyways I am predicting this will turn into nothing more than personal attacks so will close it should it even remotely come to that.
    I actually have a lot of respect for Samsung when it comes to utilizing digitizers and the pens for them in their products. Look at the Note series of phones. It's QUITE useful to have the S-Pen. I didn't go with a Samsung tablet this time (ie: the Ativ) because I just don't have much need for that. My girlfriend, on the other hand, is a traditional artist and would love a tablet with a Wacom pen and has been wanting to get a Note series phone or tablet for a while.

I really wish HTC has hit it out of the park with their tablet line. I liked them back in the Droid Incredible/Nexus One days and would have liked to have seen them succeed.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewryans View Post
    RT doesn't support any digitizer stylus. If you want a stylus, just get the Samsung ATIV Smart PC, or the Asus VivoTab. They run on intel but is faster than arm and has comparable battery life.
    How many times must I say it? I don't want a tablet with Windows 8 Pro. I already have a Windows 8 Pro desktop and laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    the digital inking on the Pro is impressive, but what is not impressive is the lack of OneNote MX support for it. popping out to Desktop app to ink is kludgy.
    Is this one of the apps that won't support inking on the Pro until there are updates? I know OneNote MX supports inking but I have also heard that the Pro needs some updates.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    You can use Tragus 2-n-1 stylus for things like Evernote and OneNote. It has a rubber tip, not digitized, but works great. I use it for note taking all the time in my travels.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    How many times must I say it? I don't want a tablet with Windows 8 Pro. I already have a Windows 8 Pro desktop and laptop.
    I'm gonna be honest, I don't understand your need to not get another Windows 8/Pro tablet. It'd be much more mobile, and you'd get the digitizer support for which you're looking, at the same price as an RT. With an Atom processor, you'd get about the same battery life and be able to run both RT and x86 applications. Is there any reason you're shying away from them besides the fact that it's Windows 8 Pro?

I'm not trying to bash, flame, or troll. This is purely so that I can understand the situation a bit better. :D
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, I don't understand your need to not get another Windows 8/Pro tablet. It'd be much more mobile, and you'd get the digitizer support for which you're looking, at the same price as an RT. With an Atom processor, you'd get about the same battery life and be able to run both RT and x86 applications. Is there any reason you're shying away from them besides the fact that it's Windows 8 Pro?

I'm not trying to bash, flame, or troll. This is purely so that I can understand the situation a bit better. :D
    When I'm on the go I'll be doing things like inking etc, writing up notes in lectures, that sort of stuff. I don't actually need any legacy applications for that sort of stuff (that I am aware of from my experiences with Win8 Pro. On the laptop and desktop that's different though). Plus Windows 8 Pro feels overkill for me. And it's fine. You weren't flaming bashing etc. I'll admit I responded harshly to the guy. And for that I apologise.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilzkh View Post
    OneNote MX does inking...I use it daily.
    The guy at the Microsoft Store could not demonstrate it, and I don't see how to do it on my Surface RT.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    When I'm on the go I'll be doing things like inking etc, writing up notes in lectures, that sort of stuff. I don't actually need any legacy applications for that sort of stuff (that I am aware of from my experiences with Win8 Pro. On the laptop and desktop that's different though). Plus Windows 8 Pro feels overkill for me. And it's fine. You weren't flaming bashing etc. I'll admit I responded harshly to the guy. And for that I apologise.
    Unfortunately, while it may be overkill on a tablet, if you want to use a Windows tablet with digitizer support, I believe you're going to have to use something that supports full Windows 8. As someone mentioned, none of the RT tablets have it built in, and there is no mention of an RT tablet that's coming out with it in the near future.

I'd say, if you don't want full Windows 8 on the tablet, then go for the Samsung Note series. It's a fine tablet and I know a few people that really love their S-Pen support in Android, and use it frequently. Gotta stick with what makes you happy. ;)

if you want something cheap, I would suggest the Lenovo think pad 2. If you want something more powerful and better, get the surface pro. I got the surface pro for the digitizer since i take notes and i am loving it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast