Windows 8/RT Remote Desktop slow/sluggish

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a VAIO laptop set up as the remote desktop to be controlled by the Surface RT. It's useable, but slow and sluggish. Especially, when scrolling on Modern UI. Is this normal? Is it due to hardware of my VAIO or my Surface? Is there a way to speed it up? What's a better/faster alternative to Windows' native remote desktop?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Could be the specs of the VAIO or the connection you're using it over.

I have a friend who controlled his desktop computer remotely with his Surface RT and played Crysis 2 remotely...

We can eliminate Windows native remote desktop as the problem

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Right now I've only tested it over my home wifi network. So I wouldn't think that the connection would be the problem.

These are my VAIO specs. Too slow?

Capture.JPG

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Check your WiFi connection rate - I found my WiFi (5G) was painfully slow due to a router firmware issue - I switched to 2.4G and the problem went away with WiFi back to speedy.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
So I tried to update my Netgear's firmware and it freakin borked it! The reset button wasn't responding and the disk that came with it couldn't fix it either. So I ended up buying a new Linksys e1200 (N300).

My VAIO speeds have tripled and usually stays around 144mbps and my RT hovers between 52-62mbps. But still, remote desktop is slow and sluggish. Is it my VAIO hardware that's the problem? I'm planning on getting a new desktop soon to replace my VAIO, which specific hardware do I need to pay attention to? RAM, processor, video card?

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Your current processor speed is a little on the low side, but I doubt it'll produce results as bad as you're describing. There are probably some other underlying factors. What services do you have running in the background?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
So a little more info, the desktop runs smoother now on the new router, but Modern UI is still very sluggish. I suppose that's okay, since my main purpose was access to my desktop apps, which my RT doesn't have.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Here are screenshots from the Surface running remote desktop in a window. There are services running, but not really using any resources.

Screenshot (8).jpgScreenshot (7).jpg

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
So I've upgraded from a G router, got a brand new N router and refreshed my Surface. My VAIO WiFi speed rate have gone from 54mbps to 144mbps and my Surface has gone from 54mbps to 130mbps. Remote desktop is still sluggish in Modern UI but is now pretty smooth in desktop mode. Anyone else experiencing this?

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
No problem. I literally just finished setting up and testing RDP on the home comp when I saw this thread and thought about how convenient it was that I just ran into the same thing...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes