Considering Buying a Surface..

iop777

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I'm considering picking up a 32gig Surface RT. I'm a student and I'm wondering if it would be good for school. I currently have a Windows 8 desktop, and a Lumia 900, so I'm just wondering if anyone uses a Surface for school purposes. Any opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced.

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Good question, as I'll probably be asking this a year from now. Anyone think this would be good for an engineering student, or would the pro be better?
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you'll love it! I use my RT for the same types of things and its perfect. I actually like my RT more than my "work issued" Pro

iop777

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you'll love it! I use my RT for the same types of things and its perfect. I actually like my RT more than my "work issued" Pro
Thanks! I think the RT will be a lot better to use then my schools desktops running XP. I have the new Office on my desktop and it's really great for school work, I just want to be able to use it at school too.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am a high school senior and I am starting at Yale in the fall and I have been taking my surface to school. It is such a good companion and more productive as the Microsoft office comes in handy. There are a few things such as adobe compatibility sometimes but 90% of time it is good and my advisor at Yale said it will be useful...more so than an iPad.

iop777

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I am a high school senior and I am starting at Yale in the fall and I have been taking my surface to school. It is such a good companion and more productive as the Microsoft office comes in handy. There are a few things such as adobe compatibility sometimes but 90% of time it is good and my advisor at Yale said it will be useful...more so than an iPad.
I'm guessing your adviser's right. My school has iPads but I think a Surface would suit me more, I'm really used to the Windows eco system. Is it easy to print something off trough it though?

alaskanjackson

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
My 15 year old uses his at school almost daily. Works well on the schools WiFi and he seems to be able too complete his assigned work. I am almost certain he's playing games and watching video content as well. As long as the grades stay up I can live with that.

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I used my Lenovo at school. OneNote is amazing for school. With any windows 8 laptop.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I love my 32gb Rt. I'm on this thing for but when I'm sleeping lol. If you get the 32gb make sure you have a microsd card. Other wise get the 64gb. I don't know where you live but might get the 64gb version anyways cause right now best buy is offering $100 off any touch screen windows 8 device.

iop777

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I love my 32gb Rt. I'm on this thing for but when I'm sleeping lol. If you get the 32gb make sure you have a microsd card. Other wise get the 64gb. I don't know where you live but might get the 64gb version anyways cause right now best buy is offering $100 off any touch screen windows 8 device.
I'm planning on getting mine from Best Buy in Canada, I don't see that offer online though.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
The touch keyboard is nice, but get the Type keyboard rocks. I just sold my touch keyboard after using the type keyboard for a few days and don't regret it. I do however wish I just went with the type keyboard from the start. I could type fast and very well on the touch keyboard, but it doesn't come close to the laptop like feeling and the speed of the type keyboard. So when you purchase your RT get the type keyboard for sure. This, coming from a guy that typed fine on the touch cover.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Good question, as I'll probably be asking this a year from now. Anyone think this would be good for an engineering student, or would the pro be better?

Go with the Pro so that you can install CAD and other x86 apps that you'd need to run. Not to mention that the i5's performance blows the Tegra's out of the water. I picked up an RT for light use, but use my Yoga for serious on the go work, and my desktop for serious work at home.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's any touchscreen laptop. Excludes tablets...

I picked up the Asus 11.6" for $399.
Yea see I would argue that because it says computer and doesn't say excludes tablets. In fact tablets are computers too. And when you go into the site the description tag it puts you under has tablets in the name.

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Yea see I would argue that because it says computer and doesn't say excludes tablets. In fact tablets are computers too. And when you go into the site the description tag it puts you under has tablets in the name.
What's the Yoga's price compared to the Pro's?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99