Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Hey everyone,
    I'm considering picking up a 32gig Surface RT. I'm a student and I'm wondering if it would be good for school. I currently have a Windows 8 desktop, and a Lumia 900, so I'm just wondering if anyone uses a Surface for school purposes. Any opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced.

The big ol question is what are you looking to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroplanetz View Post
    The big ol question is what are you looking to do with it?
    I'd mainly be using it for Office, I do a lot of essays and PowerPoints in my current courses, I use skydrive a lot and the easy access would be a plus. But I'd also use it for media on the side.

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Good question, as I'll probably be asking this a year from now. Anyone think this would be good for an engineering student, or would the pro be better?
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

Yes, you'll love it! I use my RT for the same types of things and its perfect. I actually like my RT more than my "work issued" Pro

Quote Originally Posted by runamuck83 View Post
    Yes, you'll love it! I use my RT for the same types of things and its perfect. I actually like my RT more than my "work issued" Pro
    Thanks! I think the RT will be a lot better to use then my schools desktops running XP. I have the new Office on my desktop and it's really great for school work, I just want to be able to use it at school too.
    I am a high school senior and I am starting at Yale in the fall and I have been taking my surface to school. It is such a good companion and more productive as the Microsoft office comes in handy. There are a few things such as adobe compatibility sometimes but 90% of time it is good and my advisor at Yale said it will be useful...more so than an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah Dawson View Post
    I am a high school senior and I am starting at Yale in the fall and I have been taking my surface to school. It is such a good companion and more productive as the Microsoft office comes in handy. There are a few things such as adobe compatibility sometimes but 90% of time it is good and my advisor at Yale said it will be useful...more so than an iPad.
    I'm guessing your adviser's right. My school has iPads but I think a Surface would suit me more, I'm really used to the Windows eco system. Is it easy to print something off trough it though?
    My 15 year old uses his at school almost daily. Works well on the schools WiFi and he seems to be able too complete his assigned work. I am almost certain he's playing games and watching video content as well. As long as the grades stay up I can live with that.
    Vallos and rdubmu like this.

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I used my Lenovo at school. OneNote is amazing for school. With any windows 8 laptop.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

I love my 32gb Rt. I'm on this thing for but when I'm sleeping lol. If you get the 32gb make sure you have a microsd card. Other wise get the 64gb. I don't know where you live but might get the 64gb version anyways cause right now best buy is offering $100 off any touch screen windows 8 device.

I love my 32gb Rt. I'm on this thing for but when I'm sleeping lol. If you get the 32gb make sure you have a microsd card. Other wise get the 64gb. I don't know where you live but might get the 64gb version anyways cause right now best buy is offering $100 off any touch screen windows 8 device.
    I'm planning on getting mine from Best Buy in Canada, I don't see that offer online though.

I'm in the US. Don't know if that's gonna be different sales

Here's a screenshot of the front page...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot-4-.png  

That doesn't show up on the Canadian site, maybe it's only in the U.S.

Global Posts
    2,511 Global Posts
    It's any touchscreen laptop. Excludes tablets...

I picked up the Asus 11.6" for $399.

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    The touch keyboard is nice, but get the Type keyboard rocks. I just sold my touch keyboard after using the type keyboard for a few days and don't regret it. I do however wish I just went with the type keyboard from the start. I could type fast and very well on the touch keyboard, but it doesn't come close to the laptop like feeling and the speed of the type keyboard. So when you purchase your RT get the type keyboard for sure. This, coming from a guy that typed fine on the touch cover.

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by failed1234 View Post
    Good question, as I'll probably be asking this a year from now. Anyone think this would be good for an engineering student, or would the pro be better?
    Go with the Pro so that you can install CAD and other x86 apps that you'd need to run. Not to mention that the i5's performance blows the Tegra's out of the water. I picked up an RT for light use, but use my Yoga for serious on the go work, and my desktop for serious work at home.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    It's any touchscreen laptop. Excludes tablets...

I picked up the Asus 11.6" for $399.
    Yea see I would argue that because it says computer and doesn't say excludes tablets. In fact tablets are computers too. And when you go into the site the description tag it puts you under has tablets in the name.

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Yea see I would argue that because it says computer and doesn't say excludes tablets. In fact tablets are computers too. And when you go into the site the description tag it puts you under has tablets in the name.
    What's the Yoga's price compared to the Pro's?

Since these questions didn't seem to get answered in here i'll try and help:

depending on the type of engineering you do. Chances are you will be using MATLAB, perhaps some autocad software.. Verilog for hardware programming? you will need the pro for that.. plus the pen will work nicely if you want to write your notes out in onenote... however the pro doesn't come with office, like the RT. it comes with the preview version. the RT you can do word, excel, powerpoint, and onenote on as well as all the apps and such but you can't run legacy software like MATLAB, etc. You could SORTA get away with some of that... if you have a windows 8 desktop.. and you are on WIFI.. and your router is setup right.. and you can get remote desktop working (depending on if you're in the dorms or not... chances are they wont let you port forward on the router but IDK.. depends on the school).. then you could run MATLAB on your RT virtually as if you were running it on your main desktop (or laptop). Just with some latency depending on the WIFI signal strength since you'll be streaming the process between machines.

Is it easy to print something off trough it though?
    Amazingly easy to print.. simply swipe in the charm bar on the right, go to devices.. select the printer.. setup number of copies, B&W vs color, etc... then print! that's from apps... and the IE Modern UI browser.. from regular desktop browser and word and such you could just go to the file -> print like normal...
    Thanked by:

which yoga?

13" yoga starts at $1050. Cheapest core i5 version is 1150. I'd say that's right in the ballpark for a pro + type keyboard.

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Depends on what size you want on the surface. The yoga I go from best buy for $1000

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryker002 View Post
    Depends on what size you want on the surface. The yoga I go from best buy for $1000
    Ditto, and I just saw that Best Buy deal and it's currently at $899 for the 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM model. Linky: Lenovo IdeaPad Convertible Ultrabook 13.3" TouchScreen Laptop 4GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive Yoga 13 - 59359567 - Best Buy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast