Make the most out of your RT, use Remote Desktop

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
So if I open up my router what possible problems would lay ahead for me?

That's a good question. I'm not going to attempt to pretend I know. But I do know that "they" need 3 things: 1. Port forwarding number 2. Your IP address and 3. Log in credentials (username and password). That's more information than what your neighbor needs ( network ID and password).

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone who uses an RT should learn how to utilize remote desktop

That's a good question. I'm not going to attempt to pretend I know. But I do know that "they" need 3 things: 1. Port forwarding number 2. Your IP address and 3. Log in credentials (username and password). That's more information than what your neighbor needs ( network ID and password).
my internet is password protected. None of the neighbors know it. Heck I gotta look it up every time I need it lol. I'm still curious though as to how vulnerable I might become by doing this.?

ultralight23

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
This depends on if remote desktop or team viewer is VPN encrypted. I don't have an RT yet and use pocketcloud on my tablet to remote access my work PC. VPN encrypts as it sends.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

my internet is password protected. None of the neighbors know it. Heck I gotta look it up every time I need it lol. I'm still curious though as to how vulnerable I might become by doing this.?

None of your neighbors know your remote desktop or team viewer password either. If you're accessing within in your home network, then you're as secure as if you're on any device in that network. But accessing it outside you're home network is another story. From observation (not actually trying it yet), with Team Viewer you go through their servers. With MS's native Remote Desktop, you connect directly to your PC through your home network. Please correct me if im wrong, anyone.

Nik Rolls

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
With MS's native Remote Desktop, you connect directly to your PC through your home network. Please correct me if im wrong, anyone.

Spot on. There is a system that uses Microsoft's servers, however it is a once off (request help from someone else) and doesn't fit in with the RD client very well.

The only risk you create by opening this one port on your router is that other people can try to log into your computer as well. So make sure you have a good password. But to be fair they also need to know your IP, and also that you even have RD on and that port open, and even then they will get major (enforced) delays after they get the password wrong a few times. So you're pretty safe. RD wouldn't be in major use worldwide if it was insecure.
Your internet password (I assume you mean Wifi?) is unrelated.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

First post updated for instructions to allow access to remote PC.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for recommending Remote Desktop. :excited: It is very useful. I was vaguely considering going from Windows RT to Pro but Remote Desktop allows me to do everything I need to do on RT.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
A little update I'd like to mention:

My VAIO's HDD went kaput and I ended up purchasing a new VAIO Fit. I failed to realize that the laptop I purchased only came with Windows 8 not Windows 8 Pro. The difference being, you can't use Window's native Remote Desktop client (desktop program or modern app) to connect to non-Pro machines. So I ended up downloading Splashtop 2 from the app store and it works great!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Without Cisco VPN Anyconnect support - which looks like it's never going to happen in RT, then this is a non-solution for me.

Yeah that is a bit frustrating. Since this isn't Pro, you're only hope is for Cisco OR Microsoft to release an app in the Windows store. Not sure which is more likely...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A little update I'd like to mention:

My VAIO's HDD went kaput and I ended up purchasing a new VAIO Fit. I failed to realize that the laptop I purchased only came with Windows 8 not Windows 8 Pro. The difference being, you can't use Window's native Remote Desktop client (desktop program or modern app) to connect to non-Pro machines. So I ended up downloading Splashtop 2 from the app store and it works great!

Would you say it works better than the built-in feature?

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I love this thread! Planning to get a Surface RT and would love the remote option. I have one question though... is it possible to have the pc in standby-mode and just "wake" it up every time I want to use the remote control connection with ma Surface? So for example: Would it be possible to leave the pc in standby, go to school/uni, connect with my Surface (remote control), wake up my home pc, use photoshop and stuff and then just switch it (home pc) to standby mode again (until next time I want to use it with my surface). Or does the PC have to be on all the time?

Thanks in advance!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Would you say it works better than the built-in feature?

So far, so good. The splashtop client has a slight lag though, but better than when I first tried it a few months ago. The biggest difference is with 3rd party clients you have to go through their servers to access your PC as opposed to the native RD, where you actually have a direct connection to your PC.

That also means you don't have to mess with IP address and other settings to allow direct access from the outside using native RD. With splashtop you just enter your username and password that you set up.

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys,

I love this thread! Planning to get a Surface RT and would love the remote option. I have one question though... is it possible to have the pc in standby-mode and just "wake" it up every time I want to use the remote control connection with ma Surface? So for example: Would it be possible to leave the pc in standby, go to school/uni, connect with my Surface (remote control), wake up my home pc, use photoshop and stuff and then just switch it (home pc) to standby mode again (until next time I want to use it with my surface). Or does the PC have to be on all the time?

Thanks in advance!
There are native settings that will allow you to do that, but I think that will depend on how your PC software handles waking the WiFi adaptor when it goes to sleep. I can't get mine to wake up, so I have to set it to turn off monitor, but not sleep.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
There are native settings that will allow you to do that, but I think that will depend on how your PC software handles waking the WiFi adaptor when it goes to sleep. I can't get mine to wake up, so I have to set it to turn off monitor, but not sleep.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Do you think it would be possible to wake the pc if it is connected to the router directly by cable?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Splashtop 2 update:

I knew it was too good to be true! I just found out that if you plan to use this app outside your home network you will need to pay a monthly fee.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss