Microsoft enabling Flash by default in Internet Explorer 10 starting March 12th

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft enabling Flash by default in Internet Explorer 10 starting March 12th | The Verge

Microsoft has just announced that it will permit Flash content to run "by default" in both Windows RT and Windows 8 beginning tomorrow, March 12th. Until now, compatibility in Internet Explorer 10 has been limited to a select number of sites whitelisted by Microsoft. (Windows 8's traditional desktop mode has offered full Flash support from the start.) But moving forward ? and after users apply a software update ? the inverse will be true. Microsoft has apparently concluded that web developers have made sufficient progress in bringing touch interactivity to Flash content. "As we have seen through testing over the past several months, the vast majority of sites with Flash content are now compatible with the Windows experience for touch, performance, and battery life."
The company says a small number of Flash-based sites that don't meet its criteria will continue to be blocked. Those websites will be included in a "Compatibility View (CV)" list, but Microsoft says users shouldn't encounter many issues in the grand scheme of things. "We believe having more sites 'just work' in IE10 improves the experience for consumers, businesses, and developers," reads a blog post on the change. "As a practical matter, the primary device you walk around with should give you access to all the Web content on the sites you rely on. Otherwise, the device is just a companion to a PC." That last tidbit seems like a clear shot directed at the iPad, which has lacked support for Flash since its release in 2010. Apple has long maintained that Flash isn't a good fit for post-PC devices, but Microsoft just gained a differentiator for anyone still relying on Adobe's platform.

applause.gif

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Very relieved that they have made this decision. I've been eyeing the Pro for that reason alone. I go to many random flash enabled sites that having to white-list became annoying.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
What about Silverlight? I can't believe how bad is Microsoft doing with windowsRT...

I can't believe how bad some people continue to be about checking basic facts. Silverlight is no longer being developed so it is never coming to RT. The only continued development is in certain enterprise environments. On the consumer front Silverlight implementation never exceeded low single digit percentages, has been targeted for Sunset/EOL by the developer, and amounts to throwing money at a dead end battery vampire. Surface RT is also not an enterprise device - about the only way left that Microsoft has not explained this is in semaphore. If Silverlight is so vital to you, switch to a Windows 8 tablet. Asking for legacy support to be added to the ARM powered OS is just wasting time, bandwidth, and energy. I am sorry but just because Microsoft was the developer behind Silverlight, does not mean they need to support it on all platforms in perpetuity. Their position on abandonment is well reasoned and fundamentally sound from a business perspective. Looking at the tiny numbers of complaints from RT users across the various forums further supports the reality that no imperative exists for Silverlight on RT.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have been checking Windows Update for a few hours now, trying to get the update and seeing if I can go to many sites that use flash over here (mainly restaurants, the 'why' beats me). Thanks, Microsoft!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it's awesome that Microsoft has released several firmware updates for the Surface. Continued and guaranteed support is one of the main reasons I choose the Surface. I don't see other OEMs releasing firmware updates for their devices (though that could just be because nothing's wrong, lol). Microsoft may be slow but at least I know they're still working to make the Surface better. That's the sort of support you don't always get with other OEMs like Samsung or HP. ****, HP drowns their computers in so much bloatware that they're almost beyond saving. I mean, seriously, who adds additional software to manage WiFi connections when Windows already comes with fully functional WiFi software?!?! /rant

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe how bad some people continue to be about checking basic facts. Silverlight is no longer being developed so it is never coming to RT. The only continued development is in certain enterprise environments. On the consumer front Silverlight implementation never exceeded low single digit percentages, has been targeted for Sunset/EOL by the developer, and amounts to throwing money at a dead end battery vampire. Surface RT is also not an enterprise device - about the only way left that Microsoft has not explained this is in semaphore. If Silverlight is so vital to you, switch to a Windows 8 tablet. Asking for legacy support to be added to the ARM powered OS is just wasting time, bandwidth, and energy. I am sorry but just because Microsoft was the developer behind Silverlight, does not mean they need to support it on all platforms in perpetuity. Their position on abandonment is well reasoned and fundamentally sound from a business perspective. Looking at the tiny numbers of complaints from RT users across the various forums further supports the reality that no imperative exists for Silverlight on RT.

What about Netflix?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)