Printer for Surface RT and Ipad

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using the HP Photosmart 6520.

HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer (CX017A) | HP? United States

It's both an all-in-one and a wireless printer. I have it connected to my home network. Best of all, the Surface RT automatically found and installed the printer software for me. I didn't even realize it was there until I was scrolling through my start menu and saw the app tile. I haven't had a single problem with it yet. All of my wireless prints have come out fine, the image quality is good and printing starts extremely fast. It also has a USB port but I've never used it. And (as I've just discovered) there's also an app on the Windows store that allows for wireless scan to an ARM device.

Though I imagine the iPad 4 would also work, I don't have one here so I can't test it out.

Best Buy currently has it on sale for $109

HewlettPackard 6520 - Best Buy

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The new HP printers with "E-Print" are pretty handy, especially with these windows phones in which you can't do wireless printing. Basically, your printer will be assigned an email address and you can email documents, photos or anything that needs to be printed (can print from the other side of the world if you wanted to). My Ipad found it immediately and was able to wireless print within seconds. Can't comment on the RT, but it seems to work as well.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I personally hate or strongly dislike HP consumer printers and Lexmark printers for that matter. They are full of bloat and poor in performance... This is not based on one bad experience... In fact of the printers I had from those manufactures, I fared decently well... Just in the grand scheme of things, they are junk! I still "kinda" like business class hp printers...

Anywho, I recommend Epson workforce model printers. Print from your iPad and surface. PC drivers are super simple with no bloat, ink is pretty decently priced, and performance is pretty doggone good.

I have not had a problem with an Epson printer and neither has anyone else I have recommended them to. Do your self a favor and try one of their workforce series.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If talkingmainstream, probably the simplest thing to do would be to check the supported printers lists for Apple's airprint and Epson's iPrint apps. The breadth of printer compatibility is more of an ios limitation that RT. You can then look up on the Windows Compatibility Center site for RT functionality. FWIW though, I have yet to find a modern wifi/networked printer for which RT did not automatically install drivers. The only limitation I have found is scanners in all in ones do not function via RT but the Epson and Lexmark printer components work exactly as they do in Windows 7 or 8.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
so the HP printer suggested to the OP, it installed software that allows you to use the AIO functions?

I have an Officejet 6500 and I bet the HP Printer suggested is similar to mine in function. You can't install the desktop software of course on the RT, but every AIO feature can be done from the printer's touchscreen. Windows RT will install all necessary drivers almost seamlessly.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My HP PhotoSmart 7510 shows up on my wife's iphone, my wife's ipad, and my surface pro. I also can print items by emailing attachments to my printer's email. yourname@hpeprint.com

That is the only way I can print from my windows phone.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
My HP PhotoSmart 7510 shows up on my wife's iphone, my wife's ipad, and my surface pro. I also can print items by emailing attachments to my printer's email. yourname@hpeprint.com

That is the only way I can print from my windows phone.

I love the ePrint feature! My wife, especially, because she sends documents daily from her phone while at work to print out at home.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I love the ePrint feature! My wife, especially, because she sends documents daily from her phone while at work to print out at home.

Agreed..! I have a HP 8600 Wireless that works with ipad4 and Surface. It's also nice to be at work and wanting to print a document at home. Just send an email to "yourname@hpeprint.com" and bam! Document at home waiting. lol

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
If you're looking for a budget printer some of the low end Brother printers are probably good. I have one that was very cheap (don't remember the model number) and it works for scanning and printing for my Windows 8.1 devices (PC and Surface RT). It also has an iPad native app that I've installed but never used. I don't print from the iPad.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a Brother MFC-J625DW. Works well with my phone using the Brother app and works with my RT. They also have Ipad apps for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte