Hdmi drm?

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Is this possible?

I wanted to watch the simpsons on my TV. On hulu (the app) it says website only, then I click to go the website and I can watch the show just fine. If I have HDMI hooked up to my TV the website reads "sorry but this content is not available on your device" Is it really possible that the HDMI connection triggers additional DRM?

For those experiencing this:
Unplug HDMI, go to hulu app, follow that link to the website (navigating through Hulu.com will give you the mobile issue) Copy the URL on the page that has the embedded content. Plug in HDMI and paste in the URL and you should be able to view your content comfortably on your TV while sitting on your couch!

I'm really just curious if anyone else has experienced the differences when directly visiting vs. through app-link visits to Hulu, as well as retriggering the mobile setting when HDMI is plugged in or if its just me.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Its not DRM related. Every now and then Hulu is limited to only airing shows thru the website and not thru other devices. Its a rights issue. The rights change with each new or renewed agreement Hulu makes with the networks. Example: Being Human - while the season is being aired, you can only watch via the website. When the season is over, they will be aired thru other devices, (phones, bluray players, etc.). As for directly connecting ur computer to the tv via HDMI and getting an error, I'm not sure what that is. Is it a Win8 computer? Might possibly be a W8 glitch. My laptop is still on W7 and no problems here.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm really just curious if anyone else has experienced the differences when directly visiting vs. through app-link visits to Hulu, as well as retriggering the mobile setting when HDMI is plugged in or if its just me.

The Hulu experience is completely broken, IMO. They have WAY too many rules for how ambiguous the technology is these days. I could watch a show on an 11" laptop since it was running WIn8 but a WiFi only 10" touchscreen with keyboard running Android is all of a sudden a mobile device and can't run ANYTHING.

It is just stupid...it shouldn't matter what you are viewing it on...but when you are viewing it. I don't understand how they unlock more episodes if I am at a coffee shop on a 10" Win8 Tablet vs a 10" Android tablet.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's really irksome that I can't even use the freakin' Hulu Plus app to watch web only content!!!

Seriously, Hulu.

But that's when the beauty of desktop mode really shines. :wink:

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's really irksome that I can't even use the freakin' Hulu Plus app to watch web only content!!!

Seriously, Hulu.

But that's when the beauty of desktop mode really shines. :wink:

Wouldn't being able to watch said content on the app negate the fact that its web only? Lol...sorry...just bustin' chops...lol

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
LoL, it even says web only right in the metro app. I thought to myself, "pleeease" and clicked on it anyway. Nope, wouldn't play.

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Its not DRM related. Every now and then Hulu is limited to only airing shows thru the website and not thru other devices. Its a rights issue. The rights change with each new or renewed agreement Hulu makes with the networks. Example: Being Human - while the season is being aired, you can only watch via the website. When the season is over, they will be aired thru other devices, (phones, bluray players, etc.). As for directly connecting ur computer to the tv via HDMI and getting an error, I'm not sure what that is. Is it a Win8 computer? Might possibly be a W8 glitch. My laptop is still on W7 and no problems here.

Sorry but while this is wordy, please re-read my post. I am aware its a rights issue, however the browser (desktop mode) ONLY gets read as a mobile device when my HDMI is plugged in, otherwise it does play the web-only content (as it should.) The HDMI to TV output is refactoring what hulu.com reads my device as.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hulu is like spotify to me. I wont never ever use it 😊

Ok hows this? I will never, ever in my lifetime use it. EVER. Point blank. If there's an issue with your comprehension on this I still don't feel sorry for the way I've decided to word things.

1) before you start an internet-war...make sure you are correct.

2) Their comment was on the understanding that you know what "wont" actually means. "wont" is really "won't" and it means "will not"

So, you said "I will not never use it." Which means you use it regularly.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
1) before you start an internet-war...make sure you are correct.

2) Their comment was on the understanding that you know what "wont" actually means. "wont" is really "won't" and it means "will not"

So, you said "I will not never use it." Which means you use it regularly.

Thanx, man...lol. I thought I was gonna have to break it down...lol.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok hows this? I will never, ever in my lifetime use it. EVER. Point blank. If there's an issue with your comprehension on this I still don't feel sorry for the way I've decided to word things.

Geez, man...take a joke. I laugh at myself when I screw something easy up. You should learn to, also.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but while this is wordy, please re-read my post. I am aware its a rights issue, however the browser (desktop mode) ONLY gets read as a mobile device when my HDMI is plugged in, otherwise it does play the web-only content (as it should.) The HDMI to TV output is refactoring what hulu.com reads my device as.

Yes, the DRM is based on the output device, not the access device. So your tablet outputting to your tablet == "web", your tablet outputting via HDMI to you 72" LCD TV != "web".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss