Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Hi all,

I'm about to buy a Surface RT. In my home network environment, I use a Synology DiskStation NAS, and have mapped certain folders on the DiskStation as network drives on my old PC's (both old XP machines).

Now, I'm not sure if I can map the network drives on a Surface RT (or any other Windows RT device for that matter). Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this? Thanks!

(And yes, I will be posting this question in the Synology Forums as well)

I have drives mapped from my ReadyNas Duo v2 to my Surface RT, no issues whatsoever.

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I have a Synology 210+, and back when I still had a Surface RT it worked fine with the Synology. Other than the known limitations with desktop apps and joining domains, it's still just Windows, not really any wierder than Windows on the R3000, Alpha, and Itanium. I think I had to set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel=1 in the registry to get it to work (same as other Windows systems). I'm looking at upgrading to a QNAP though because it supports the newer protocols.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by mparker View Post
    I have a Synology 210+, and back when I still had a Surface RT it worked fine with the Synology. Other than the known limitations with desktop apps and joining domains, it's still just Windows, not really any wierder than Windows on the R3000, Alpha, and Itanium. I think I had to set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel=1 in the registry to get it to work (same as other Windows systems). I'm looking at upgrading to a QNAP though because it supports the newer protocols.
    Thanks for that. You see, I've used the DS Assist programme on my computers to map the network drives. But seeing that that is a standard Windows application, I won't be able to install it on the Surface RT. Do you mind if I PM you for some help if I can't get it working?

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I can try to help; I've never used DSAssist so I don't know what it does besides a basic drive map. And I returned my Surface RT, so the closest I can currently replicate your environment is by using my Windows 8 laptop. But the only difference I've ever seen between mapping a Synology share and mapping a normal server share is the regedit thing you have to do so modern windows systems (NT4 and above) can deal with Synology's obsolete firmware.
    Thanked by:

I can chip in if needed, let me know.
    Lumia 930 | Surface Pro 3 |
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by markfive View Post
    I can chip in if needed, let me know.
    That's cool, thanks in advace! So, do you have the same or a similar set up?

Quote Originally Posted by holzlondon View Post
    Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this? Thanks!
    My samba shares from my main linux file server mount just fine on RT. It *is* windows 8, most everything works as you would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by holzlondon View Post
    That's cool, thanks in advace! So, do you have the same or a similar set up?
    Hi I have a DSG 213+ and it works perfectly fine on the RT... I mapped it just like any other shared drive on a windows machine and never had a issue! Just find it over the network and map it using file explorer, takes 30s...

Hi, just bought a surface but not sure how to connect to my Nas. Usually connect through synology assistant. Any tips on how to do it? More or less step by step please... This is driving me mad. I've got a Synology 213+ as well.

Still haven't got my surface yet. Will help when i get it and manage to map them.

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders Bjuhr View Post
    Hi, just bought a surface but not sure how to connect to my Nas. Usually connect through synology assistant. Any tips on how to do it? More or less step by step please... This is driving me mad. I've got a Synology 213+ as well.
    You do it the same way you do in normal Windows, since Windows RT is really regular old Windows 8. Go to file explorer, click "Map Network Drive", pick the drive letter you want, then type in the network path "\\{name_of_the_synology_nas}\{name_of_the_share}". Make sure "Reconnect at logon" is checked, and you'll probably want to check "Connect using different credentials". Click the "Finish" button, and you'll be prompted for the Username and Password for the Synology box. Click "Ok" and the folder should open up, and you should notice a new drive in show up under "Computer" in the "Network Locations" list.

If this fails then you may need to edit the registry, but try this simple approach first.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Bjuhr View Post
    im not too sure why your having an issue... just type in your nas address and map it... here is a step recording showing how I did it. http://sdrv.ms/103ezkt

Well, got the surface, dead easy. Map network drive \\ip-address\shared_folder enter a valid user and password that's set up on the diskstation, and it works like a charm.