Sad Day... Surface lost / STOLEN.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have searched all night... I traced retraced my steps in and out of buildings. Looked online using the trend micro app. It is nowhere to be found.

This is the first time that I wished it had cellular and GPS. When needed to locate my iPad, even if it was just in doors, I could find it.

I am extremely sad today. No it is not a life, but it was mine 😞. If it was stolen, the only place it was potentially left was in my car while my cleaning team cleaned the church. I was only me from my team there to begin with.

I am just sad and exhausted.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm really sorry to hear that. Did you keep the serial number? You should file a police report and check local pawn shops.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the serial numbers. My contact information is all over the surface and the padded case. I would really give a nice reward too.

I can't stand a thief... But I have no evidence it was stolen or not. I am trying my best to not overlook any places where I was the screw up...

Thanks for the support friends. I wonder if Microsoft has a database like the one proposed above.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe someone with money to spare, there has to be someone on this forum who has money can send you a new one. A good deed, paying it foward. Sadly I am not that guy.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Filed a police report yesterday. I even searched yesterday and this morning again in all of the areas. I made phone calls and checked my personal security cameras... No new clues or developments... I am continuing to rummage through Craigslist...

I have to accept that it is gone... Just yesterday while working on my bike. I needed to look up something... Reached for my Surface and no go... Made me sad again, lol. Had to use my phone 😜, of all things right?!

I contacted Microsoft support about a remote wipe and remote location information, but they were not too helpful. They said that once a police report is filed, the police could contact them to locate the device...

One of my only concerns is my data on my memory card... I set mine up in a way that my user doc were stored on the SD card and not the device. Does OneNote save data to the my documents folder on the surface? When someone wipes a surface, does it wipe the card?

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Again, thanks for the support... We really need a service or law that once something is reported as stolen, that it becomes unusable... After it calls home for an update or something.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe someone with money to spare, there has to be someone on this forum who has money can send you a new one. A good deed, paying it foward. Sadly I am not that guy.

That would be a good deed, but unexpected. I may want that deed to go elsewhere. As sad as I am, I know and understand that others have it a lot worse.

I am so sick and tired of thievery. I had a couple of bicycles stolen last year. What kind if people are these? Even if I am responsible and lost my surface, the surface, the case, and papers enclosed all have my name and a form of contact.

😠😐😒😌😓😢 The range of emotions... Hard to let go.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I know this won't help you now but this company will protect 3? Devices free and it can do some neat stuff.

Open source anti-theft solution for laptops, phones & tablets ? Prey

Prey seems pretty cool. Wish there was a surface rt version or wp one. I will put this on my laptops, they currently have lojack on them.

I had the trend micro everywhere beta install which is supposed to help locate your device, but I have nit been successful with that...

I contacted Microsoft about a remote search and wipe and an engineer is supposed to contact me later.

This has been such a week! I'm am holding on, but I guess it is time to consider its replacement... Makes me kinda want a pro just because I can install other location software...

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, no headway... Just about given up... I'm already looking for a replacement.

I'm considering a pro, but just kinda think it is not the tablet I want... I like that I could put any application on it, but just what applications would I really want on it? I love the simplicity of the rt. I was never worried of it overheating in my bag due to it automatically waking up...

Well, I think I will just continue with the RT. Maybe I will get the 64 GB just so I won't have to rely on an SD card for my default storage... That is where I am upset the most... The SD card is not encrypted. No telling what was on it... I just hope the new owner erases before using it...

Sad still... Mad even more! I just have to move on...

Looking for surface deals if anyone knows one.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm about to get another surface rt. I looked at the dell latitude and xps, the Lenovo thinkpad2, and the surface pro and decided to still stick with the rt over an Intel processor.

I really don't see myself needing to install other apps... When I do, I will prob need a larger screen like my laptop. I can remote I to any of my computer/servers when needed. The only 2 changes I am considering is the 64GB over the 32GB and type keyboard over the touch.

I am over the loss I guess... Waiting for my insurance check so not a total loss.

Other news I found a suspect posting on Craigslist. may just be a posting for my surface. I contacted the seller with a junk email account not connected to my name or surface. Finger crosses for justice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel