Real world experience: Surface RT vs iPad

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Allow me to share another of my real world experiences of just how effective the supposedly "limited", "crippled", or "useless" Windows RT is. Part of my job involves sitting in meetings with other "stakeholders" negotiating proposed legislation. At one of these meetings yesterday, I paid particular attention to the technology the 30 or so people were using. About half of the group had either laptops (mostly PC's but a few Macs) or iPads (either propped up in a keyboard attachment or in the "magic" cover). I alone had the Surface RT.

I sat next to a colleague with an iPad that was propped up on its cover. I had the RT set up fully with its Touch keyboard. I had called up the documents we were all reviewing in Reader or Word and flipped between them as needed. I had also opened Mail and had it snapped to the side of the screen so I could see messages from my clients concerning this issue as they came in. My colleague had the documents opened on her iPad and flipped through them as well, though I certainly noticed the Word documents looked better on the Surface than on the iPad. She also had to keep grabbing her phone (iPhone, natch) to check her emails as we worked through the meeting.

I clearly had the more efficient operation. She glanced over several times at how well this was all working for me. This colleague has asked me about the Surface before so she didn't ask more questions this time, but I do this all the time and I have to believe the buzz is beginning to build for my favorite computing device. While I haven't spotted another Surface in my work world yet, as I was signing in to a meeting recently and set it down on the table, the meeting host spotted it and asked me which keyboard I had on my Surface and told me she had used the Type cover on hers and loved the device. Earlier this year when I opened my Surface in a meeting, people would ask what it was. Now when I open it, the most common comment is "Is that the Windows tablet?" Progress. Slow, but progress.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
We have similar careers it sounds like. I work on legislation in Iowa. I'm alone with my Surface in a sea of iPads, but I'm pushing our IT department to replace the legislature's staff laptops with Surface Pros this fall when the leases are up. They seem receptive, and given the nature of the legislative work world, it would make a lot of sense.

I agree, I always have the legislation up in a PDF reader and either a note program or email snapped to the side. It works great and I've had a number of comments/questions about it.

christopherbarran

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Great review
I am about to buy a Lumia 920 and I was thinking about Surface too as I believe in the whole ecosystem. Killer feature is a fully working USB port. Those come in handy when you have presentations and such.
Tell me, is there a way to connect a Surface RT to a projector? Either analog or I suspect a digital connection (HDMI or Display Port).

Regards,

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It's great to hear these types of stories about Surfaces being used in the real world. Word of mouth is often the best advertising. Thanks for sharing! :)

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like there are quite a few legislation/policy people in the Surface world -- count me in too (although I use the Pro).

While we were travelling my boss was sent a couple documents to look over and sign, so I gave him my Surface (tethered to my Lumia)...he read 'em and signed 'em. No need to print, no need to fax -- our team probably saved at least 1-2 hours then and there. The director drove to the Microsoft store the following weekend and got a Pro.

Another real world scenario, my dad is a senior, so he can't type as fast - which in his job is becoming a necessity since he's required to prepare Word docs for partners and stakeholders. But he can write fairly quickly and really well, so on his Pro he's been making full use of OneNote and the ability to convert Ink to text. Although it doesn't work well with my handwriting, it works really well with his, and he loves it -- productivity win.

And finally, my partner, she wanted to play with the inking on my Pro, so she wrote a shopping list on OneNote... When we were shopping, she actually had wished that she printed the list, but I took out my Lumia and loaded it up for her (yep, Windows Phone can read ink text on OneNote). Now she's eagerly waiting for the Catwalk Lumia.

But of course, my Apple fan brother (more like a creedal follower of Jobs) said having a stylus on a tablet was a fail idea...that was until he too had to sign a document ASAP and had no access to a printer or a fax machine. I withheld my Surface Pro, didn't want to fail him. So he had to go to some random Vietnamese run place with a cheap printer and semi-working fax machine, and forget the drama that was to be with the owner's reliance on USB and my brother's iPad.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When that update comes where you can snap the apps half half on the screen or snap even more than two apps at a time.

OH BOY! Can't wait.

Meanwhile. On your ipad. #instagram! and birds flying over your screen.

operauser

Banned
Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm just wondering - are all the people who are using some other device just so dumb that they don't get how great is surface?As much i know Surface IS much better than any Android or iOS based gadget.I really feel sorry about humans on earth,it's kinda mass hysteria about buying useless tablets with clumsy and ugly interface.Good God - there's even NO live tiles on iPAD.I feel so bad about it and i wanna burn down all that other crap provided by Apple and Samsung and other wannabe producers.Brothers and sisters!My comrades!Lets save the world!!!

Surface RT debuts in Russia: high price, modest sales | East-West Digital News

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Oh wow! For some reason I've never thought of snapping the mail app. I always have outlook.com open as one my tabs on IE and I always have to switch back and forth to check if I have new messages. But this way is much easier! I can actually see new messages arrive in real time. Thanks!

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Great review
I am about to buy a Lumia 920 and I was thinking about Surface too as I believe in the whole ecosystem. Killer feature is a fully working USB port. Those come in handy when you have presentations and such.
Tell me, is there a way to connect a Surface RT to a projector? Either analog or I suspect a digital connection (HDMI or Display Port).

Regards,

Yes, there is an external display port for the Surface but you need to get a dongle to connect to it. Microsoft sells them for about 50.00 or you can get a third party dongle for cheaper. You can output to hdmi or vga.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow! For some reason I've never thought of snapping the mail app. I always have outlook.com open as one my tabs on IE and I always have to switch back and forth to check if I have new messages. But this way is much easier! I can actually see new messages arrive in real time. Thanks!

What I always find cool is if ive got twitter/mail/facebook snapped to 1/3 and have say SkyNews on 2/3 if I swipe down to close Sky whatever I have in the 1/3 stays. Then a quick tap on the home button open ESPN and it automatically snaps into the 2/3 portion so ive got the feeds in the 1/3 again.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I would prefer if they brought 'windows' to the Metro interface. I think IE on Metro with how it manages tabs would be a great concept to build on, e.g. have multiple apps run actively in the background (but give the user the option to freeze any one of them by choice), and access them by gesturing up from the bottom bezel. Heck, pick two such windows from the bezel and bring them to the main screen and you get the desktop like side-by-side effect.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
My favorite feature in IE is that we can swipe web pages back or forward, without having to use the back button. I wish WP had this.

anon(5379091)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Actually you don't have to snap your mail app in order to see new messages arrive in real time, just turn on notifications for your accounts.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Great review

Regards,

I use a cheap microHDMI-HDMI cable that I got off monoprice.com. I didn't pay anymore than $5 or $6 dollars (and $4 for shipping). Works perfectly. Definitely go that route if the projector has a HDMI input.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I use a cheap microHDMI-HDMI cable that I got off monoprice.com. I didn't pay anymore than $5 or $6 dollars (and $4 for shipping). Works perfectly. Definitely go that route if the projector has a HDMI input.

I got one for $3 on amazon with free shipping on orders $25 or more. Just threw it in the cart with some other things I had to buy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro