Want a surface... Advise

Matty T

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey there everyone! So I'm a junior in college and I want a new device and my main thing is lightness. I just got into business school and I am concentrating in consulting and finance so I want a device that I can take to all my classes, take notes on, and use PowerPoint and excel. I NEED PowerPoint because, for those not familiar, consulting is all presentations. Anyway the surface r/t looks great because it has what I am looking for but I really want the pen that's included with the pro. I just like the idea of using one note and typing and when I have a formula/math/annotation to make I can just use the pen. I don't want to spring for the pro because of the extra weight, heat, and battery life. Not to mention I don't care about running legacy programs because honestly all I use my computer for is web browsing and office for homework. If r/t just had the pen it would be perfect!

On this note, I don't know why all the reviews are so negative and bash the surface, are journalists not intelligent enough to grasp that a tablet that you can work on is a good idea? Personally I think it's a really cool device.

So basically I don't know what to get, should I just get the pro, the r/t, wait for the r/t 2 and hope they include the pen, or is there another device you might know of that would fit my needs? Any advice would be awesome and thanks so much!

Last edited:

Matty T

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking wait (if you can) for the RT 2 announcement. If you can't, I'd say start looking for one on Craigslist or on this site's forums. Even the second hand ones are in pretty good shape. Also, regarding the pen, there is a pen on Amazon.com that is supposed to work pretty well.. At least better than the nub-tipped ones.

Amazon.com: Incipio Inscribe PRO Capacitive Tip Stylus & Pen for Kindle Fire, Red: Kindle Store

I think I can wait but thanks for the amazon pen link!

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
This may be of some interest to you,Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T, it has a wacom digitizer and pen and is cheaper than a pro. Though it is full windows 8 so you'd need to get office separately though being in school you could get a 4 year subscription for only $80
I have the Samsung tablet! Works great! Absolutely love it. And the pen is great. But it is a smaller pen than the surface's but it uses the same technology so it works just as well. I had my surface RT before this. I love my surface but from what I found my new samsung tablet is what I need.

longnd

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I think you should wait for Surface RT2. I also love Surface RT but wish it comes with a pen like pro. Would wait for the next RT.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
This is attractive, but it does lack the surface kickstand, keyboard package that I just love.

That is something cool about the surface. But I think I like the keyboard dock better than the touch or type cover. It feels more like a laptop because my Samsung locks into place so I don't have to worry about it falling of my lap when I'm trying to use the keyboard. But if you plan on doing serious typing anyway it is best to have a table or desk to type on no matter what. Both devices are great.

Matty T

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the Samsung tablet! Works great! Absolutely love it. And the pen is great. But it is a smaller pen than the surface's but it uses the same technology so it works just as well. I had my surface RT before this. I love my surface but from what I found my new samsung tablet is what I need.

Thanks! after watching a video with it I have to say I do like it..... this may be the answer hah!

Matty T

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Right so I've decided I'm going to get a used rt (if i find a nice deal ill just get one) or wait for the rt 2. That being said, if anyone on the forum wants to unload theirs message me

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a Pro, so was thinking about selling my RT.

But my wife said ,"No way!" and claimed it as hers.

Love its battery life. Better for watching Netflix or other movies/entertainment than the Pro.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a need for a pen, but other than that I 100% love and recommend my surface for everyone who has a need for a tablet/laptop hybrid that you can work on. Years from here, I just hope there will be something that is equally amazing with just newer hardware and I'm gonna buy that one too :D

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
One thing to consider about the next Surface --- all rumors seem to point to a smaller screen size, which I will never buy! I hope they release both smaller and larger Surfaces. I want a 17" laptop/desktop replacement.

Matty T

May 8, 2013
Visit site
One thing to consider about the next Surface --- all rumors seem to point to a smaller screen size, which I will never buy! I hope they release both smaller and larger Surfaces. I want a 17" laptop/desktop replacement.

This is exactly why i'm looking at just getting a used one now.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's a risky time of the year for consumer electronics. We're 1-2 months away from hearing about the next wave of everything! The next iPad, the next Xbox, the next Surface and other next gen devices. Literally anything you buy now could be/will be obsolete come fall. The biggest question is, can the current offerings do what you need and do it well? Buy used if you're unsure. I got my Surface RT in February knowing that it wasn't the most powerful W8 tablet and that the Surface 2 was coming later. But the build quality is great, it does what I need and Microsoft has been pretty good with updates for both W8 and the Surface in particular.

Matty T

May 8, 2013
Visit site
It's a risky time of the year for consumer electronics. We're 1-2 months away from hearing about the next wave of everything! The next iPad, the next Xbox, the next Surface and other next gen devices. Literally anything you buy now could be/will be obsolete come fall. The biggest question is, can the current offerings do what you need and do it well? Buy used if you're unsure. I got my Surface RT in February knowing that it wasn't the most powerful W8 tablet and that the Surface 2 was coming later. But the build quality is great, it does what I need and Microsoft has been pretty good with updates for both W8 and the Surface in particular.

Let me ask you, how is one note on the device? I really want it mainly for note taking because my laptop is annoying to lug around. I just want to be able to take notes and record a lecture with, then transfer that to my computer. I guess I can wait I mean next semester is in the fall anyway but I feel like a cheap used one, if it can do everything I need, would be great.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Right so I've decided I'm going to get a used rt (if i find a nice deal ill just get one) or wait for the rt 2. That being said, if anyone on the forum wants to unload theirs message me

I bought a "used" RT a couple months ago on eBay for $430 shipped. Came with a Cyan Touchcover, and had barely been touched. I'm very happy with my purchase. It's not my main computer as I'm a UI Designer and need more powerful computers. But I love it for browsing while watching tv, testing things at work, etc.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Let me ask you, how is one note on the device? I really want it mainly for note taking because my laptop is annoying to lug around. I just want to be able to take notes and record a lecture with, then transfer that to my computer. I guess I can wait I mean next semester is in the fall anyway but I feel like a cheap used one, if it can do everything I need, would be great.

I prefer the metro app version of OneNote. It's a bit stripped down compared to the desktop version but I also think that makes it more efficient. That and it's better designed for touch displays. Although desktop OneNote comes free with the Surface RT so you can choose whatever works best. I think OneNote works great and I don't see any reason to use another note taking app, but there are others like Evernote, for example. A lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion