How to (Sort of) Make a Start Button for Windows RT

Member321

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps this is already well known, maybe not but I found a way to kind of make a start button for Windows RT. The button will take you into the "All Apps" screen, so it kind of, in a way is like a start button.

Here is how it looks

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2vuzsrq.jpg

Here is how to do it

Step 1.Go to this link, right click on the picture, and click on "save picture as". Save it to your Documents Folder

http://files.softicons.com/download...-by-dakirby309/ico/Folders & OS/Windows 8.ico

Step 2. Go into the classic desktop and right click.

Step 3. Go to "New" and select "Shortcut"

Step 4. A dialog box will pop up. Copy and paste this exactly as is, into the box

C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f8-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}

Step 5. Click Next and then click Finish

Step 6. A new folder should be on your desktop titled "explorer"

Step 7. Right click on that folder and go down to "Properties"

Step 8. Under the "Shortcut" tab, there is an option to "Change Icon". Click on that button

Step 9. A new box should pop up. Click "Browse".

Step 10. On the left side, go into your "Documents" folder and find the picture you downloaded in Step 1. Double click on that.

Step 11. Click "Ok" on the "Change Icon" box and then click "Ok" on the "explore Properties" box.

Step 12. The icon for the "explorer" folder should now be a Windows 8 logo. Left click the explore folder once and drag it down to the toolbar at the bottom, all the way to the far left position. Let it go and you're done.

Anytime you click the Windows 8 logo, it will take you to the "All Apps" folder. Which kind of, soft of, in a way, is like a start button.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I no longer miss or want the start button back. When I first started using Win8 back in November I used Start8 but after forcing myself to use Win 8 as is out of the box I found it's actually quicker and easier to not have the start button or menu.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I no longer miss or want the start button back. When I first started using Win8 back in November I used Start8 but after forcing myself to use Win 8 as is out of the box I found it's actually quicker and easier to not have the start button or menu.

This. I find the start button on my Win 7 work computer annoying now. I only use the "search programs" box which is faster (Win 8 is even faster cuz you just start typing, or just hit the live tile).

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I can't tell you how many times I have tried to explain that to people. But all most them want to do is complain. I see it everytime a OS does a drastic change. I remember people crying the demise of MS when 95 came out. It was so bad MS did a huge campaign that included the Rolling Stones sing Start me up to promote the start button. It's hilarious now how people want it back. I just shake my head and go back to using my computer.

Pace Racing

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I think this is pretty cool, thanks for posting this thread. Not sure why people want to complain about a start button, but do it somewhere else, the poster is giving the rest of a nice way to have one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss