8.1: How do I get Outlook to open upon startup?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I have added Outlook to Startup folder but it still wont start up. My main goal is to get notifications for new mail without having to open it every time I start my RT. Since this is not a Modern version, there is no option to receive toast notification while program is closed. I would very much like to stop using Mail, People and Calendar app if I can and uninstall them since I much prefer Outlooks features.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know that Outlook was out on Windows RT? Outlook 2013 is only for Windows 8 and not RT unless they created a version since I bought it for my Surface Pro.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I didn't know that Outlook was out on Windows RT? Outlook 2013 is only for Windows 8 and not RT unless they created a version since I bought it for my Surface Pro.

Yes. Much to my delight, when I installed 8.1 last night, I found Outook!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It is on RT, all RT tablets ship with Office 2013 preinstalled, Outlook is getting added with 8.1

Right, for us Windows RT users it can easily replace Mail app. Just saying Mail app is still needed for those that do not have Outlook on Windows 8.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So is Outlook replacing the Mail app like Skype is replacing the Messenger app?

If you uninstall the mail/calendar and messaging apps, than re-install them then messaging will appear. I am not sure why it uninstalled with the update. Skype isn't replacing that.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Verge is saying otherwise. It could be that the app package is being kept the same for now for those of us not messing with the preview.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
You need to make a scheduled task. Press windows key and type Task Scheduler. From there set up a simple task. Find the outlook exe and select it as the action. The trigger is "On log in".

I do this with my Outlook 2013 on my desktop.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
You need to make a scheduled task. Press windows key and type Task Scheduler. From there set up a simple task. Find the outlook exe and select it as the action. The trigger is "On log in".

I do this with my Outlook 2013 on my desktop.

Thank you for that alternate way! But it doesn't seem to work either. When I create a schedule I am unable to type in "Location". In fact I see that the system has other scheduled tasks by default but shows that no task activities have been triggered in the last 30 days. I'm starting to think its disabled for 8.1 Preview.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Nah, wouldn't make sense. You have it set to run at startup, that won't work. Set it to run when user logs in. Some tasks are user specific. Outlook relies on the AppData folder within your user files. At startup, no user is signed in, so it cannot start.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Nah, wouldn't make sense. You have it set to run at startup, that won't work. Set it to run when user logs in. Some tasks are user specific. Outlook relies on the AppData folder within your user files. At startup, no user is signed in, so it cannot start.
That's wired. In my VAIO, all I did was add outlook.exe to startup folder and it works as intended. Never had to schedule a task. I'll try that next though. Thanks.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Can you manually right click on the task and select Run? If you can manually run it, you've set it up correctly but it's not triggering. If not, then you are targeting the wrong exe.

Unfortunately I cannot check how I set mine up because my SSD died the other day and I am waiting for a replacement.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Can you manually right click on the task and select Run? If you can manually run it, you've set it up correctly but it's not triggering. If not, then you are targeting the wrong exe.

Unfortunately I cannot check how I set mine up because my SSD died the other day and I am waiting for a replacement.

Yes, I was able to run it manually, by right clicking.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I GOT IT RUNNING!!!!

I failed to uncheck the option, under "Conditions", to "Start task only if the computer is on AC power."

Thank you so much, ImmortalWarrior for your help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes