Miracast - Where is it (8.1 preview)

Shawn Keating

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't see it on both my surface rt or my windows 8 pc. Both have 8.1 preview installed. How come? Anyone know how to get this working? I thought it was suppose to have an option in the display section that lets you search for networked displays?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
There should be an option there, but also try under Devices>Add a Device. For me, I can't get it to pair though; I can detect the receiver that way though.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Not sure about the cheapest, but honestly, it's probably not a good idea to go with cheapest anyway. The key is to go for one that's been well-supported and received frequent firmware updates, as each firmware update improves compatibility.

Example, the Rocketfish Miracast dongle didn't previously work with 8.1, and in its 2.0 firmware update it now does. I would say the safest one that people have had the most success with is the Netgear PTV3000. Both it and the Rocketfish one I've tried personally and both seem to be working right now, though I did have display corruption (I assume due to signal dropouts) one time on the Rocketfish one.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the cheapest, but honestly, it's probably not a good idea to go with cheapest anyway. The key is to go for one that's been well-supported and received frequent firmware updates, as each firmware update improves compatibility.

Example, the Rocketfish Miracast dongle didn't previously work with 8.1, and in its 2.0 firmware update it now does. I would say the safest one that people have had the most success with is the Netgear PTV3000. Both it and the Rocketfish one I've tried personally and both seem to be working right now, though I did have display corruption (I assume due to signal dropouts) one time on the Rocketfish one.

These are confirmed working with Surface RT - is it wireless mirror??

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Sorry, since my first post in this thread, I found out that it does not yet work with the Surface RT, because Nvidia's Tegra 3 drivers don't support it yet.

I can only confirm that it definitely works with a Surface Pro and that's what I was referring to with my more recent posts, I forgot that this thread was in the Surface RT forum.

For more details on Miracast requirements, there's a good article at WithinWindows.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, since my first post in this thread, I found out that it does not yet work with the Surface RT, because Nvidia's Tegra 3 drivers don't support it yet.

I can only confirm that it definitely works with a Surface Pro and that's what I was referring to with my more recent posts, I forgot that this thread was in the Surface RT forum.

For more details on Miracast requirements, there's a good article at WithinWindows.

so, anotherwords....it will never work with surface RT - NVDA tegra 3 is horrible (my device is great, just hate that they cannot get support for things like this).

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Well, it could work in the future. We don't know if Microsoft and Nvidia are preparing a driver update for the final release of Windows RT 8.1 on the Surface RT. All we know for sure is that it's not working right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb