8.1 Preview now available for Surface RT in en-gb

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
It looks like Microsoft have fixed whatever the problem was with 8.1 not installing on en-gb (and I presume Ireland/Australia/NZ..etc).

Managed to install it from the Store within about an hour. Looks good so far for a preview!

Ben.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Quick question. Is it worth doing?

Ive got 8gb left on my RT so it would mean getting rid of a lot of stuff before I install. I understand you need 10GB free to install.

So if I were to free up 10gb would I then be stuck with no space left?

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Martin,

I haven't really had chance to play with it that much yet. Sadly work got in the way.

My understanding is that although you have to free up that amount of space for installation, you'll actually be left with more free space once the install has completed. 8.1 uses about 4-5gb less space.

HOWEVER make sure you create a recovery disk on a USB stick before you give it a go, otherwise there is no going back to version 8.

Ben.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Martin,

I haven't really had chance to play with it that much yet. Sadly work got in the way.

My understanding is that although you have to free up that amount of space for installation, you'll actually be left with more free space once the install has completed. 8.1 uses about 4-5gb less space.

HOWEVER make sure you create a recovery disk on a USB stick before you give it a go, otherwise there is no going back to version 8.

Ben.

Ah so it overwrites the original RT install then, that's pretty good. Yeah already got recovery on a usb - was one of the first things I did when I bought it to free up more space.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo