Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

According to The Verge, Microsoft is about to cut prices on all Surface RT models by $150. That would put us at $349 for the cheapest model, or $449 with the touch cover included. Could be happening as early as next week.

Microsoft is cutting the price of its Surface RT tablets, base model to cost $349 | The Verge
    Thanked by:
    stmav 
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    That's good news. I was hoping for a little cheaper, but I shouldn't get greedy.

Global Posts
    1,071 Global Posts
    I would take a story from them with no cited sources with a large grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    I would take a story from them with no cited sources with a large grain of salt.
    Unless they heard Paul Thurrott say it :)

Substantial price cut for Surface RT rumored (updated)

Confirmed price cut this sunday (per staples, anyway)

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    On another site, a user made a good point. With this price cut, you still have to pay for the keyboard. It is basically the same price as the free keyboard deal (close enough).

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    On another site, a user made a good point. With this price cut, you still have to pay for the keyboard. It is basically the same price as the free keyboard deal (close enough).
    I like that they did it this way though. At least consumers can choose between a touch and type and which color KB. This way they can avoid stock issues (say one color KB is more popular than the other) and still walk a way with the tablet. And its cheaper to give as a gift (let the receiver buy their own accessory).

I wonder if it's possible that Microsoft would give partial refund to people who bought Surface RT with original price like us, after they officially announce the price cut........
    gilezzz likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    oh give me a break...no one owes you money for a decision you made on your own based on the facts you had on hand at the time. I see this come up EVERY time someone makes a price cut, without fail! I blame apple for this because they did this refund back with the original iphone price cut and now everyone feels entitled to one. You are free to exercise any 30 day return policy you have and then rebuy it.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    For me I would say this is the right price point for a surface rt. Its a competitive product but needs to be priced where netbooks were. I am really having an issue with replacing my current tablet though....so tempting!
    Ah, screw it. But I am not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Buck, Flash or Arthur frelling Dent. I'm Dorothy Gale from Kansas.

kashk5 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    it is the right price for a model being phased out 9+ months after its release. This is no different than what apple does except apple announces a new product and then drops the existing one by $100. This is a smarter move to blow through inventory before people know what the next model is and simply wait for it.
    kashk5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    The Verge is a VERY respected tech site with a lot of sources. They get a lot of exclusive stories from Microsoft, as well.
    vertigoOne likes this.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    On Staples.com this evening (7-13-2013).

staples_surface.jpg

think ill pick one up now because i want it before school and i don't think they will have the new ones before next semester begins. Basically using it as an exclusive note taker
    It's also the same price on Microsoft's store, if anyone wants to get one from there instead.

No pricecut for the type cover?
    Quote Originally Posted by zombolo View Post
    No pricecut for the type cover?
    Sadly no.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,300 Global Posts
    That price cut was long overdue!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    A saving of $50 more is better than close enough.

Good price cut if you don't care about the keyboard...
    tempted

This might be what I need to purchase one sooner rather than in September.

Global Posts
    1,695 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mms-pc View Post
    I wonder if it's possible that Microsoft would give partial refund to people who bought Surface RT with original price like us, after they officially announce the price cut........
    lol

Global Posts
    1,695 Global Posts
    Christmas season is planned all year for all retailers including Microsoft. I see new devices (although I have not read about any rumors) to be popping up for the Christmas buying season this year. I also see new Surface Pro being released as well (although less likely). My problem, do I pick up an older device at cut prices or what for the latest greatest at full price.
    Quote Originally Posted by mms-pc View Post
    Nah, I bought a Xoom about a month before the price got cut.

It's the cost of being an early adopter.

I'd been waiting to buy one until the price dropped. As I was standing in Best Buy by the Surfaces, I overheard the rep tell the family that the new $349 price point for the 32GB includes your choice of Touch/Type cover. I'd read the ads, this was wrong. The covers were not included. Unable (at the time) to close the sale of a Surface to the family (it sounded like he would have rather sold them an iPad, but they weren't biting), he started walking away. I asked him to confirm the pricing to me - $349 w/ choice of cover. He told me that was the deal. I knew he was going to eventually tell me he was wrong, but I had to try and get out of the store with a free cover. I like the novelty/thinness of the Touch cover, but settled on the Type cover as it seemed to function better (and if it was "free", it was more expensive and a better value).

We headed to the checkout. After realizing he had grabbed the wrong Surface, he went back to get the right one. During this time, his manager got a hold of him and informed him that he was wrong. The $349 price does NOT include a cover. That was the previous promo they were running - free cover with FULL price Surface. I knew it was too good to be true.

He apologized and said he was wrong about the promo and that he couldn't give me a cover. If I didn't already know he was wrong, I probably would have argued. He did say that since he was mistaken, they were going to give me my choice of cover for half off. The problem know was to choose which half of the cover I wanted. ;o)

So, I walked in expecting having to pay full price for a cover and walked out with one for half price. All-in-all, not too shabby. I've been enjoying the Surface RT so far (have only had it a day), I came here as soon as I could to find tips and tricks for making the most of the device. I had to post my Best Buy buying experience when I saw this thread.
    kashk5 and jaimeastin like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast