Surface RT owners, would you buy it again?

danielPlummer

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
1.) I first got the Surface RT in May, and I bought it as a genuine replacement for my laptop, as I was only using it for basic use in the office and have my main desktop for heavy work. I didn't really consider android as productivity tablet, and my girlfriend has an iPad that gets basically used as a games console, so again I didn't see this as a productivity tool.

2,) My opinion has mostly stayed the same - it's alright. It is by far the best tablet in terms of productivity, and the SkyDrive integration makes it a doddle to use in conjuction with other devices. But at the moment, it is just too slow for me to really recommened. Apps take a while to launch, IE is still a bit slow. I tried replying to this thread using the Surface and it just wasn't having it. As a v1 device, it is amazing and if they release a new one I'll jump on board for the improvements, but comparing the speed vs my girlfriends iPad Mini, it is clear that iOS has been optimised wondrfully over the past 6 years - but given the same amount of time and care I can see RT becoming much more usable.

3.) I typically use the surface for "office tasks" - typing documents doing research. It's great for work with its days battery life and portablilty, and IE is fine for our CMS. What irritates me? Not having native dropbox for collaboration. I like skydrive, but every one of my colleagues has dropbox compared to just a handful who use skydrive, which just complicates things. I suppose this is an issue for dropbox to work on, but at the same time, microsoft need to offer an easy way of modern-ui apps hooking into the OS.
As for it's strengths, everyone of them for me again leads to productivity. Weaknesses - lack of apps and general sluggishness. Also, it's still "Windows" and bugs me for updates a lot more than I appreciate.

4.) I paid ?460 for 64GB with Touch cover. Hardware wise it is totally worth it. After experience with it for a few months, as a product on the whole (hardware, software, services, reliability etc.) I would reduce it to ?299 - ?350, with the covers being either free or comparable to the iPad smartcovers at ?30 - ?50.

5.)I definitely hope their is a future, but they need to solidify the "tablet" expereince and get rid of the desktop all together, otherwise people will still get confused about what an RT device actually is.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
1.) When did you first purchase your Surface RT? Why did you buy it? Did you consider alternatives, such as the iPad or an Android tablet? If so, why did you rule them out?
Preordered as soon as it was available, had it delivered day one. Realized that leaving my job would leave me without any type of mobile computing, so I needed something I could do some light work with. Didn't consider either--needed something with a legitimate physical keyboard.

2,) In the weeks and months since you've bought the Surface RT, how has your opinion of the Surface RT changed? Has it improved or declined?
Generally improved, if I had to say so. There have been some instances where I've needed a real laptop, and that wasn't the Surface's fault.

3.) What do you typically use the Surface RT for? What do you enjoy doing with it? What really irritates you every time you use it? As a corollary question, what is the Surface RT's greatest strength? Its chief weakness?

Before I decided to go back to school, primarily browse the web and watch videos, maybe play a game or two. I'd also use it for work when I needed to, but that wasn't very often (the company runs on web-based Flash apps, so it worked out). Now that I'm studying again, this thing has proven itself invaluable. Having Office included has been amazing snapping apps while I write notes or video chat with my classmates has been a pleasure I think only Windows 8 users truly understand.

Chief weakness would have to be processing power. Some apps still take moments too long to load, and while the Modern Internet Explorer 10 has been fluid as all get out, there are a few instances where it just stalls. Beefing up the horsepower under the hood should be the second generation's prime objective.

4.) Would you buy another, at the reduced price?
I suppose I would if I needed to, but mine's running like a dream.

5.) Finally, do you think that there's a future for the Surface RT, with smaller Windows tablets coming down the pipe?

Absolutely, with some work. In terms of the device, obviously hardware will need to be improved (and inevitably will), but it's the marketing, developer interest, and availability that will mark the success or failure of future models. Microsoft has never been the best at sowing awareness for their products, but I think they're starting to learn better. Developer interest will come with time, if there is incentive. Availability, as we know, has only gotten better since the device was released.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Maarten or whoever needs to add tracking protection lists and he'll see IE speed up immensely. This is the first thing everyone should do before complaining about speed.

agion1

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
1.) When did you first purchase your Surface RT? Why did you buy it? Did you consider alternatives, such as the iPad or an Android tablet? If so, why did you rule them out?

I bought it when it was released, along with the cyan touch cover. I owned an iPad 2 already and bought the Surface RT because I liked the idea of being able to use it as a basic laptop replacement for basic productivity tasks.

2,) In the weeks and months since you've bought the Surface RT, how has your opinion of the Surface RT changed? Has it improved or declined?

My opinion has changed for the worse. It became very slow. Also, I often found touch not as responsive on certain sites using Explorer. The ability to view flash sites was a plus. The lack of certain high quality apps that I used on my iPad bothered me some...but only those that had no web alternative. Oh, and the touch keyboard starting falling apart at the seam very early on. For the amount of money that the cover cost, I thought that pretty bad.

3.) What do you typically use the Surface RT for? What do you enjoy doing with it? What really irritates you every time you use it? As a corollary question, what is the Surface RT's greatest strength? Its chief weakness?

It's strengths rest in its being a slim device that is multipurpose. It's weakness rests in its slow processor. I also hate that the desktop had any part in RT. Office aside, it has no real purpose. It appears to me that it was there because of time constraints and, perhaps, to offer a thread of continuity to those making a switch to Windows 8 from 7.

Not with this hardware. The processor is too weak to power it.

5.) Finally, do you think that there's a future for the Surface RT, with smaller Windows tablets coming down the pipe?

Assuming the RT designation stays exclusive to ARM processors, it depends. If the ARM processor gets more powerful and the OS is streamlined (get rid of the desktop stuff), sure. If everything stays as-is. No way. I cannot advise anyone to buy one of these tablets except maybe at the current education price.

It was a big disappointment for me. I sold it a few weeks back on eBay. With this said, if some things change (processor and nixed desktop), I'll consider one again. Really, I'd like a less power hungry Pro.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I purchased my Surface RT through the online Microsoft store the week it came out. I bought it because I had followed Windows 8 for a long time and it was my dream OS. And I wanted it I tablet form because I knew how productive Windows OS is. That's why I did not even consider other tablets; they were strictly media consumption devices in my eyes. I wanted something that I could use for both for both my schoolwork and for playing games, reading the news, watching videos, etc.

2.) In the weeks and months since you've bought the Surface RT, how has your opinion of the Surface RT changed? Has it improved or declined?

My opinion has increased significantly, especially after accidentally dropping it a few times! That was when I knew I had gotten the bang for my buck that I expected. And now that 8.1 is in beta, the tablet's interface is even more gorgeous.

I mainly use it for browsing the web and reading the news, but I use it for so much more. I'll have you know that the first few months of having my Surface, I was so overwhelmed with how much it could do that I had no idea what to do with it! That alone should tell you the capabilities of this tablet. Its level of not only media, but productivity is superb, especially for a tablet that is running a "dumbed down" version of Windows 8. That I would say is Surface RT's greatest strength. What irritates me every time I use it? The lack of Flash on websites, and the inability of the tablet's touchscreen to utilize drop-down menus on many websites' homepages. Its chief weaknesses, arguably, are its price and lack of public interest/recognition. People will more likely buy an iPad than this because they are more familiar to them and in some cases, more affordable. However, Microsoft is doing a great job of promoting Windows RT, so I feel like people will start to be intrigued by this new OS.

Reduced price or not, I would buy another in a heartbeat. Like I previously mentioned, I'm confident in saying that this is the only tablet in the entire market that gives you bang for your buck. I mean, what other tablet do you know that offers you the same level of work and play?

That I cannot tell you. Windows RT is a great idea; it blends the best of tablets with thee best of desktops. It would be a shame if RT got taken over by 8" Pro tablets. There needs to be a tablet for every demographic, and if RT gets discontinued, I will not be happy, because Surface RT is the greatest investment I have ever made, and I couldn't ask for a better tablet/companion.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
has nothing to do with interest or not, just letting the person know that if they think their comments are going to show up in the article they are badly mistaken

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If they read the OP, they should see that the article is printed and the date was from last week.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If they read the OP, they should see that the article is printed and the date was from last week.

correction. If they had read the OP after it was changed then you can point this out. However, the last reply to the original OP by DadStar was yesterday: "Yesterday, 09:59 PM". The OP was changed today: "Last edited by HeyCori; Today at 11:12 AM. Reason: added article." The person who replied to the OP may not have known that it was posted already.
progress.gif

Also, I find it a little odd that the original poster doesn't make the effort to spend a minute to close this thread with a "Thanks to everybody who contributed their input".

John Gatt

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

I work In IT support and about 3 months ago a client wanted me to get him a surface RT I showed him my iPad and my wife's Nexus 7 but he had his heart set on Surface as he did not like the office solutions for iOS of Android so he got one and I helped him set it up. To my surprise I liked it a lot! so a month later I got one for my self, I found I could never use my iPad or Nexus to work on so I was stuck carting around my netbook that is not big but 3 to 4 times heaver than a tablet. now I use my Surface RT 95% of the time and only have to pull out my netbook to plug in to non wifi networks when fixing them (No cat 5 on the RT). I'm using it for most surfing (siting next to the fire now with it) and using it like a real notebook and also folding the keyboard back to use it like a tablet for games and reading. It gets more use than my iPad or nexus ever got.

The more I use it the more I see where other tablets are lacking. yes RT is still a limited OS just like all tablets but it gives me lots more its the first device that lasts full days of use with out charging even games don't drain the battery like I see on the nexus7 of iPad. its a travellers almost perfect device. I do miss the GPS on my tablet as it is something I used a lot on the iPad I know I still have maps but the GPS is one thing I would like.

I use it for day to day work in IT support I also use it to rum my blog Gaming Face and now I also use it for most of my surfing
As for weakness No real quality camera no GPS and a lack of apps on the app store are its weaknesses but as a day one iPhone and iPad user I know how quick the app store will grow the choices I have on the window store are far bigger than I got from apples app store when the iPhone was launched, but on the other hand I have all thee Apps I need all the office apps (the first thing I had to pay for on the iPad) are free on the RT and the games and tools let me do all I want on the surface and more than I was ever able to do on my iPad. I love how it has replaced my netbook and how easy its Interface is to use and yet the screen is a nice size its light! I love how I can plug my SLR camera or any USB device right in to it.

My wife and 17 year old now want one my 17 year old girl wants to use it for school and unlike other tablets she can but I just got her a $1200 laptop so she has to Waite. but yes I would get another surface without a 2nd thought.

Yes I do and people who see it and sit next to me with iPads and droids and check out what I can do on it are blown away and I know of 2 in the last 2 weeks that went out and got one the day I showed then my one.. more people just want a smaller laptop that is easy to use, that they can do work on or watch movies and play silly games. the RT gives people what apple and droid told them they could not have real interface real USB expandable memory and the cool easy to use tablet interface all in the one device. I have my phone if I need small why do I want a 7" tab when I have a 5.5" phone? I have a real pc that I can throw into the inside pocked of my geek jacket or in to my Star wars Chewbacca bag (ITS NOT a man bag :p ) I had an OQO years ago and you can watch me playing warcraft on it but people liked small but lot loved it the screen size is key for products like the surface and the 10.6" is nice for working on my blog and editing photos or watching movies its no bigger than a paper notebook and I think its a major steep In the right deriction . 6" windows pc video I did here: World of Warcraft on a 6" PC part 1 - YouTube

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)