Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Im thinking of getting a surface rt 32gb and recently read that Windows 8.1 RT requires 10 GB of free space. I was wondering is this in addition to the existing installation leaving users with just 5gb free space?? Or just during the installation?

Thanks

I have the same doubt, I went to the store yesterday and ordered a 32 GB Surface which will arrive in 15 days... now I see 8.1 needs 10GB >_<

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    you will need 10Gb free but 8.1 will actually leave more space when it is done.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    I want to say 16-20gb are free. Remember that you can more the recovery partition to a flash drive to free up that space.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    you will need 10Gb free but 8.1 will actually leave more space when it is done.
    That's good news that it leaves more space when it's done.
    Infinidim

Quote Originally Posted by infinidim View Post
    That's good news that it leaves more space when it's done.
    You'll have about 4Gb more of free space once update is installed. :)

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    This is only the amount of free space you need to install the update - not how much space it will take up. Plus, dont forget you have SD card expandable storage, and the recovery partition can be removed - which I highly reccomend before you update you create the recovery drive, without you could get screwed if the update doesnt go to plan. I didnt have any issues, but have read that some have had issues. Be patient when installing, it will take probably 1-2 hours to do it through downloading, installing, rebooting, etc.........its so worth it. With 8.1, this device rocks.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Get the 64 GB version. You won't regret having the extra space.

I'm thinking of the 64GB version. Had another play with an RT Surface today. Not sure I can wait until October 18!

I think the "10GB" is for complete installation of 8.1RT, and I don't think it would take up this much space if we just update from current RT to 8.1RT via Windows Update.