Questions about Windows RT on the Surface.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, first of all I've read and watched a plethora of reviews but most seem to be from the first two weeks of release which is understandable but tells me little.

1. There is a lot of lag on the reviews, primarily in the store. Has this been resolved and has the overall responsiveness of the device improved?

2. What's gaming like? I really just need one good RPG to tide me over so any suggestions? If not, how's emulation? I know there's an SNES emulator but beyond that?

3. Is there an Office option that will allow me to avoid desktop mode altogether? I don't care if it's as light in features as the WP8 version, I just don't want to ever have to use desktop mode as it takes away from an otherwise beautiful and touch-friendly experience. Honestly, it's inclusion feels a lot like Winmo 5 as a whole and it's sad.

4. Are there any other suggestions on turning this into a good consumption device or improving performance?

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Are we saying not much lag like the android pretenders say their phones don't lag or genuine minimal lag?

Can my dragons blade file go between wp8 and this?

3. Almost a deal breaker, I truly hate desktop mode

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Are we saying not much lag like the android pretenders say their phones don't lag or genuine minimal lag?

Minimal lag :smile: I think you can use the same dragons blade file, but I'm not sure. If you have access to a Win8 pc you can try it out before you decide :smile:

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

When it comes to a modern UI Office, it is said to be coming out some time in 2014.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
3. Is there an Office option that will allow me to avoid desktop mode altogether?
Would the Office Web Apps do? They're quite finger-friendly.
The upcoming Windows RT 8.1 has massively improved the device, much of the lag and usability issues are gone.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Depends on your definition of lag. Apps take a few seconds longer than they should to open, but once open seem to run well. The OS itself is much more fluid than Android. Switching between apps is very slick and far better than iOS or Android. I don't have the random choppiness I have with ICS Android. Office is not as responsive as on a PC but is perfectly usable. You can't avoid the desktop completely, especially for advanced configuration. Office is a desktop program, and if you actually need and use office, that's a good thing.

Gaming isn't a strong point. Missing most of the latest and hottest time wasting type games. But if you're not particular there's enough entertainment.

One great feature of the RT is that Microsoft pledged 4 years support. And they have supported it very well so far. So improvements will keep coming, but it's still not as polished as the competition.

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay, first of all I've read and watched a plethora of reviews but most seem to be from the first two weeks of release which is understandable but tells me little.

1. There is a lot of lag on the reviews, primarily in the store. Has this been resolved and has the overall responsiveness of the device improved?

We have owned a MicroSurf since launch and have never really experienced lag. It really depends on your definition of lag. Do some things take a touch longer to launch than others? Yes. Does that make it a deal breaker? Nope. For more than 99% of our use, we have zero issues.

2. What's gaming like? I really just need one good RPG to tide me over so any suggestions? If not, how's emulation? I know there's an SNES emulator but beyond that?

One good RPG? Dragon's Blade DX, and the save game can be loaded onto any Win8 device.

3. Is there an Office option that will allow me to avoid desktop mode altogether? I don't care if it's as light in features as the WP8 version, I just don't want to ever have to use desktop mode as it takes away from an otherwise beautiful and touch-friendly experience. Honestly, it's inclusion feels a lot like Winmo 5 as a whole and it's sad.

Only OneNote currently, however, the rest are coming after the 8.1 release. Early 2014 was the last we read. Pin Office to start to avoid jumpingninto desktop mode if you really don't care for it. Although we use don't use the desktop very often, I'm glad of it's inclusion for file management if nothing else.

4. Are there any other suggestions on turning this into a good consumption device or improving performance?

Always hated the phrase 'consumption device, what, are you planning lunch :)? Anyway, check out the guys over at xda developers. Last checked there was about a hundred or so tips and tricks for RT.

Hope that helped,

Sent from our Surface RT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel