Apple has officially been abolished from my tech life.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Obviously. It has an unfair advantage, BECAUSE ITS A COMPUTER! And the iPad has full iWork, and iLife. I know it may sound like I am hating, but it just pisses me off, when someone insults Apple, and doesn't know the full story. All of those ads, with the RT tablet and the iPad, are all very uniformed. Ooo it has a kickstand, and a $120 keyboard cover, but the iPad just needs a smart cover, and an adapter set to use USB and SD cards. And who reads together, and then just randomly starts playing Halo. Meanwhile, it does not show the iPad playing infinity blade the iPad's exclusive game. Again, this sounds insulting, but I am trying my best not to make it sound that way. But congrats on the RT, I would like to have a Pro because of the Wacom Pen.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Obviously. It has an unfair advantage, BECAUSE ITS A COMPUTER! And the iPad has full iWork, and iLife. I know it may sound like I am hating, but it just pisses me off, when someone insults Apple, and doesn't know the full story. All of those ads, with the RT tablet and the iPad, are all very uniformed. Ooo it has a kickstand, and a $120 keyboard cover, but the iPad just needs a smart cover, and an adapter set to use USB and SD cards. And who reads together, and then just randomly starts playing Halo. Meanwhile, it does not show the iPad playing infinity blade the iPad's exclusive game. Again, this sounds insulting, but I am trying my best not to make it sound that way. But congrats on the RT, I would like to have a Pro because of the Wacom Pen.
It's a computer with the battery life and thinness of an iPad. I don't need an adapter set or a stupid cover or a Bluetooth keyboard or a case so I can prop it up when I'm not using it in my lap. I tried using an iPad, it's just not the same.

I will agree about music. Playlist management is a disaster. The Xbox Music app for iOS is better because at least you can remove a song from a playlist.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
If you're considering donating your Ios device, please don't donate it to me :p
I'm sure you'll 1 small step towards 1 giant leap into wp ;)

thejaredhuang

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I think you made a mistake going with Surface RT. Windows RT for all intents and purposes was a stop gap/mistake by Microsoft. The same people crying for ARM support are the same people that didn't believe Intel or AMD could make a SOC with the power and performance levels of Temash or Baytrail.

I'm not saying that x86 support is necessary either, from a performance standpoint Intel will always be ahead of any of the ARM manufacturers in terms of CPU performance and Intel/AMD will be ahead in graphics too. The only thing stopping x86 from invading Android is the lack of cellular radios from AMD and Intel. Don't be surprised if most of the Android or Windows tablets in 2014 have Intel inside.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Your music catalog doesn't include P2P downloads does it? Nah. Of course not, wink-wink.

Yup, as well as a lot of legitimate free music. I was hoping that since I'm importing through iTunes using the Windows Phone desktop app that all of the artist/album/song info and album art would be copied over as well, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Transferring it wasn't the hard part, it was the Music app incorrectly reading certain songs and lumping into their own album, or showing it as unknown artist.

turn off connect to Xbox music in the music app. It'll stop rewriting the meta to match that of Xbox music. M

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't purposely do the same but it seems I am slowly getting all apple items out my life

Sent from that other device using Tapatalk

bruceabbott2

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

I had the same feelings. Two years ago, I was the the biggest apple ****** around. Lately though, I just feel like they haven't innovated enough to keep me interested.

bruceabbott2

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I think you made a mistake going with Surface RT. Windows RT for all intents and purposes was a stop gap/mistake by Microsoft. The same people crying for ARM support are the same people that didn't believe Intel or AMD could make a SOC with the power and performance levels of Temash or Baytrail.

I'm not saying that x86 support is necessary either, from a performance standpoint Intel will always be ahead of any of the ARM manufacturers in terms of CPU performance and Intel/AMD will be ahead in graphics too. The only thing stopping x86 from invading Android is the lack of cellular radios from AMD and Intel. Don't be surprised if most of the Android or Windows tablets in 2014 have Intel inside.

I hear ya. I'm aware of the limitations ARM presents and I'm super excited to see Intel step it up and give us some powerful chipsets this year that sip on power. My intention was to get as much for my iOS gear before the updated hardware this year.

Depending on what Microsoft announces next week, there's a good chance my RT will go back until I can get an 8.1 device with Haswell or Bay Trail.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

I don't get some of you Ipad-users... The Surface _RT_ is no more of a computer than an Ipad... It just runs a more robust OS (not a big smartphone OS) which gives it the edge when it comes to multitasking and stuff. It actually has ALOT less power than the newer Ipads, but is alot more diverse when it comes to handling it.

The system makes all the difference. Don't forget it's running "smartphone" hardware.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
My RT is crying its eyes out now, it wants to connect to a full Win8 Desktop as well. I was close to purchase one, but then my stupid car decided to break down. Oh well.
There is only one Apple item in my life, an iPod Nano that I never use - I tried, but iTunes and me are just not compatible.
Never been an Apple girl really, it just never occurred to me to get one.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Apple hasn't been part of my technology picture since 11th grade, 1983. Now my wife and oldest daughter are another story...

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading this thread largely for entertainment purposes. I just realized that I should post a comment.

I have been Apple free for many years. It started 3 PC's ago and I keep them a long time. I downloaded QuickTime to watch a video and it tried to take over my computer. I considered it very virus like. I removed it and have been free of apple ever since. QuickTime is the reason I started to loath apple. Steve Jobs personal behavior cemented it for me.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
The OS X operating system is a thing of beauty, and iOS has an established marketplace with polished apps. I won't say RT is better, but I am itching for a Surface 2. My latest personal discovery is Xbox Music, which has the same deal as Spotify with free streaming and occasional ads. The website-based player is gorgeous, as is the Music app in W8. (The phone app is more limited.)

I used to have an egg-shaped iMac, then two iPod classics. The only thing I'd want nowadays from Apple is a laptop, if I were willing to spend the cash. The newest iMacs are a great deal too. Right now I've got Windows 8, and luckily no slow and clunky iTunes to deal with. I have nothing against any of the competition. I guess I just have a thing for colored squares and rectangles these days.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Picked up a 64 GB RT tonight. I've only had it a couple of hours and I can't believe I didn't do this sooner!
Instant observations-

• It's a frekin' PC. My dependency is with web based apps (facebook, gmail, etc) and with a complete web browser, this just blows iOS out of the water!
  • X86 apps aren't as important to me as I thought. I have splashtop installed to remote into my 8.1 desktop so it's (almost) like having a surface pro.
  • Tegra 3 isn't THAT bad. I've had a tendency to forget a mobile CPU is powering all of this.
  • A lot of Windows 8 Apps are actually prettier and more functional than their iOS counterpart.
  • Full Office anyone?

This, paired with my Lumia 1020 is an awesome combination. I can't wait for Windows 8.1 to take it to the next level. :)

I have to disagree strongly here. The RT devices run a stripped-down OS that isn't really worth anything with Bay Trail out. The 64-GB Surface RT is $400 on Microsoft's site, and it's $500 with the touch cover. For $350, ASUS is soon going to be selling its T100 tablet, which will be an x86 Bay Trail device. It will come WITH an actual keyboard dock (with a USB 3.0 port, microHDMI, and microUSB), and it'll include Office 2013 Student as well. The Bay Trail tablets will hopefully eat the RT market up and get rid of it, because they sell at similar prices, have similar battery life, but the Atom devices add x86 support. That last part is what has the potential to separate Windows tablets from the iOS and Android toys.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I think some of the bad perception exists because RT has a desktop, but again, it all comes from non-owners and tech bloggers who find no use for the thing. If it were all full screen, more people would be like "Hey, it's a tablet" and not have the same expectations of it. On the other hand, I'm sure RT users use the desktop all the time. I'm sure I would. I hate stuffing files and downloads in folders until I'm ready to archive them. I like the thin lightweight Surface in theory; the more cost effective they make it the better (who knows if I get one... let's see how next week and the time ahead goes) - but good for Asus and the T100. Hooray.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It might be the case for some, but not with myself. I know what people claim to think of RT on the good side, but I simply disagree with it. It doesn't run x86 games, so you need one of the i5-packing devices to make use of Steam (or, in the near-future, a Bay Trail device should play some of those Steam titles). I use Trillian for messaging people, and the IM+ alternative on Windows 8 (and Windows Phone) simply doesn't compare. I am a Computer Science major, and I need Visual Studio to do C++ programming, which is another x86 piece of software. I do Java/android classwork in Eclipse, and I need that x86 software, too.

If I am EVER to get a mobile device again (the HP laptop I got in 2008 ended up a colossal failure), I want something that works as a portable alternative to my desktop. I don't need something that basically functions as a bigger version of my phone.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, an Atom-based tablet is not a desktop alternative. It's still a companion device. The T100 is what, 1/4 the power of the current Surface Pro? I have a feeling it's going to disappoint a lot of people.

I think RT was a necessary step for Microsoft. It gives them the ability to run Windows on two different architectures. If ARM continues to improve, Microsoft will continue to be able to have a presence there. It puts them in a stronger position and keeps the pressure on Intel. Regardless of how well it sells.

And one thing needs to be clear: iOS and Android on tablets certainly started life as oversized phones. But they are both now clearly accepted by the market. RT did NOT start as an oversized phone OS. It came from the start complete with multitasking, file management, Office, a PC level browser, and a slew of standardized hardware drivers and connectivity. The only thing it doesn't do that an x86 PC does is run x86 programs. There is a world of difference between RT and any other ARM OS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro