Surface RT touch cover problem

chrisddj2000

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi, wonder if anybody can help with an issue with touch cover. I have two Surface RT's, one works fine with touch cover, the other only the mouse pad works and the volume keys. I have switched the covers over and have the same problem so I know the cover works fine. There Ks clearly a problem with the surface itself. I have done all the suggested things like checking the connections, restarting, updating and making sure filter keys are off but it will still not work. Any thoughts?
Thanks

sur_fa

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have the same problem, have tried everything, even rubbing with alcohol, but nothing, the only things to run are the touchpad and the volume keys :/ :crying:

questionfear

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
I have the same problem. About to return the touch cover. Not worth the hassle, I found a USB wireless KB with a built in mouse at Best Buy for $20. Bulkier for sure, but it works great, and frankly it's roomier and better for typing.

chicaguapa

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If you look in device manager and then keyboard, you should have 2 drivers. You may only have one which would be why your keys aren't working.

Try resetting the device with the touch cover attached. This should force Windows to install the driver for the touch cover.

I only know this because the exact same happened to me this morning and the lovely support people in Dublin suggested trying this and it worked. :eek:rly:

chicaguapa

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
In system settings, then update and recovery, choose recovery and then select Remove everything and reinstall Windows.

You'll have to back up everything to Skydrive that isn't already as you'll go back to how it was out the box. It takes a while and then is a bit sluggish for about an hour afterwards while it's indexing etc. But once you login with your Microsoft ID it'll sync your device to how it was before (minus the documents, photos etc).

But it picked up the touch cover and now everything's working fine.

chicaguapa

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yay! Glad to help. Saves you taking your wireless keyboard everywhere now.

It makes sense when you think about it, doesn't it! Though it may be that it only works when only part of the touch cover works, ie the mousepad but not the keys.

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me today after an update, i am not going to do a full restore to get my kb working. Where can see a list of updates recently installed updates?

questionfear

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
Yay! Glad to help. Saves you taking your wireless keyboard everywhere now.

It makes sense when you think about it, doesn't it! Though it may be that it only works when only part of the touch cover works, ie the mousepad but not the keys.

It sort of does! Hey, as long as it works!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720