Wow can a Surface ever cause a stir....in Mac land....

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Friends.jpg

Love to see this at sTarbucks ... or anywhere else.

Hipster on the left <> Nerd on the right.
Both different and yet were the same.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I am curious....have you taken your RT or Pro into what I call Macland ( Starbucks ) ??? :smile:

I went off to visit my Mom, take her some treats and the finish cut of a video of my Father in his marching band prior to his passing. (She loved it)

Any way I don't drive, so I use a combo of bus and taxi to make my way, and at the change over spot (Starbucks), I got coffee for us and called the cab.

I was told it would be a bit as the cab company was overloaded. As I had my Surface with me I was happy to wait.

Well you would have thought I pulled out kittens from my backpack and started to tear them apart. It went from nice and quiet to mumbles and grumbles. :smile: One comment I did manage to hear was " Ugh what's that doing here?" :smile:

Being I live in a University town there is a large population of Mac users......and they do not seem to like us Surface dwellers.

What reaction have you gotten from your Surface? Good or Bad????

Well, I am usually working with my Surface 2 AND my iPad 4 at the same time! And, since I am on research leave, I spend a lot of time either on my University campus coffee shops, which have their fair share of Apple devices or in some random caf? in town - not Starbucks though - at least not very often. And since I keep my head down and focus on my work, I am generally unaware of what people are saying around me. However, I once - recently - did have one person come up to me and ask me about the Surface. He was very polite and appeared to be very curious about the device. Before leaving he asked me as to whether I would recommend it to him to which I said yes, subject to what he intended to do with it. I have since run into him a number of times at the same coffee shop and we greet at each other. I have not bothered to ask him whether he eventually bought a Surface or not and he has not offered any information on that count.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
In my hometown, I never hear anything about my Surface Pro other than when people at my college freak the hell out about how it has Office and they wonder where they can get it on their iPads, then mention how they wish they could be more productive on it (or just get a sad look on their face).

Now when I go to the nearby "University town"..... dang. People that I went to high school with who now have Macs (poor souls, I feel so bad for them (; ) all get really just..... weird would be the best way to describe it. For example, I have a class there (the drive between my college and this college is only like 20 minutes) and when I had to present, I hooked up my Pro to the projector in class and when I was presenting something to the class, I was using two apps split down the middle and when I was done and sat down, the person next to me (mac user of course) was like "That's strange that you can run two app side by side. It seems really inefficient. That's why I love my mac, you should think about it too. It'll fix every problem you have with that software" and when I asked him "what problem?" he was all " oh, denial, don't worry buddy, I'll get you to buy one by the end of the semester."

Like..... THAT'S JUST WEIRD! It really makes me feel weird to hear people say that, like they're robots or something. Now don't get me wrong, the majority just couldn't give a rat's @$$, but the ones that do just... idk, leave me with a weird feeling. Thankfully, I hate coffee and frappachinos and all of that stuff, so I've only been in a starbucks like twice, so I never have to deal with that. On the plus side though, the people who say that strike me as the kind of people who aren't the sharpest individuals and ask the teacher questions that are just idiotic to me (although I respect the fact that there are no dumb questions, these are just basic things that a person in that class should know).

Anyways, that's my anti-mac rant. Carry on.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I would have to disagree. The reason it will not be embraced by Fortune 500 companies (yet) is because the OS isn't five years old. I've worked for three different Fortune 100 companies. At one of those, I was an IT guy.
Bingo. I work for a F200 company and we just went to Windows 7 last spring. We are still rolling out the new image to almost half the company. Too much is at stake to roll out an immature OS for X more dollars.
You are free to disagree but the age of an operating system is only ONE of factors to consider when deciding whether or not to deploy a new OS. Win 8 can be 5 years old and there would still be hesitancy to deploy it if it continues to rely on the Metro/Modern UI.

Training, reworking legacy software, productivity, etc. are significant costs associated with rolling out an OS upgrade. While Metro can work for basic office work, it is a complete dud for vertical, mission-critical applications.

Kubiubo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I use my Surface RT daily at Starbucks. I take metro to work and generally have an hour or so before my shift starts, so I spend my time in Starbucks with my RT. I'm not the only one either, I've seen at least two others using Surface 2's. It's not like I live in a huge city or something, I live in a beach town.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I never thought there was another Surface Dweller in Guelph :)

Nice to encounter a fellow citizen online. :)
To be fair, I don't have a surface (or any tablet for that matter), I'm just WP for now.

I don't know how prevalent the Surface is in Canada, but one thing for sure, WP is non-existent. Safe to say that Blackberry is probably still far ahead of WP here.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You are free to disagree but the age of an operating system is only ONE of factors to consider when deciding whether or not to deploy a new OS. Win 8 can be 5 years old and there would still be hesitancy to deploy it if it continues to rely on the Metro/Modern UI.

Training, reworking legacy software, productivity, etc. are significant costs associated with rolling out an OS upgrade. While Metro can work for basic office work, it is a complete dud for vertical, mission-critical applications.

Sounds like a company that's not on top of its ****. :) I know of one massive global company rolling to windows 8 for its tech advances (SMB 3.0 for example). Metro takes minutes to understand with a good teacher. Don't mistake many companies falling behind the curve being the norm or having bad IT people as a negative against win8. Major companies have the option of working with Microsoft at least a year before they actually release the OS, to be sure it will suit their needs and work with their stuff.

Last edited:

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
That's a pretty funny story. Anyway, I saw someone in my class today that had a Surface. Made me pretty happy to see it since it's the first one I've seen in the wild, and yet it's sad because it's the first one I've seen in the wild. There should be more people with them.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like a company that's not on top of its ****. :) I know of one massive global company rolling to windows 8 for its tech advances (SMB 3.0 for example). Metro takes minutes to understand with a good teacher. Don't mistake many companies falling behind the curve being the norm or having bad IT people as a negative against win8. Major companies have the option of working with Microsoft at least a year before they actually release the OS, to be sure it will suit their needs and work with their stuff.
That "company" is IBM.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This must be a North American thing or something to do with university peers. I frequent coffee places all the time here in the UK. In different parts of it. In London all over the place and so on. I've yet to come across anything this pretentious. I see a general mixture of laptops in some places. Yes, there's overwhelming Macs and iPhone everywhere but no one really cares what you use.

I would really like to get a Surface 2 but haven't convinced the wife yet. I've yet to see one in the wild here but I do spend a lot of time at work so it only the weekends mostly that I'm in London. I have seen more WPs lately, which is nice.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
This must be a North American thing or something to do with university peers. I frequent coffee places all the time here in the UK. In different parts of it. In London all over the place and so on. I've yet to come across anything this pretentious. I see a general mixture of laptops in some places. Yes, there's overwhelming Macs and iPhone everywhere but no one really cares what you use.

I would really like to get a Surface 2 but haven't convinced the wife yet. I've yet to see one in the wild here but I do spend a lot of time at work so it only the weekends mostly that I'm in London. I have seen more WPs lately, which is nice.

Yeah...I too have not seen any Surface 2 units out in the wild here in the UK...though I know of at least one colleague who, apparently, has a Surface RT. Recently, I went to Currys/ PC World to replace my Type Cover 2 - I ruined the one I had by spilling coffee on it - and the sales guy there said that all the Surface 2 had been sold out. While it sounded encouraging, that comment also left we wondering that if all the Surface 2 units were sold, then why can't I see at least one of them in the wild!

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
What pisses me off is that people go to a coffee shop to play on their laptop. Do it at home you sad loners. Nobody cares what hardware you have. It's like going to a pub and playing on your phone all night. Why don't you ever see these people on their laptops in McDonalds?

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The video review I watched said it was not fully finished in terms of OS. Overall the review was good, but the person's opinion was it was kinda buggy. That and he was waiting on some form of hack to finish.
HP WebOS and the BB Playbook are 2 items I never really looked at, and I know so little about them. It would be fun to learn and tinker with them!
It can be laggy and now is way behind in terms of apps and service, but I like turning it on, playing Radiant, looking at new apps, and my wife occasionally uses it for taking notes or reading PDFs in bed. Yesterday I turned on my Veer :D
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
What pisses me off is that people go to a coffee shop to play on their laptop. Do it at home you sad loners. Nobody cares what hardware you have. It's like going to a pub and playing on your phone all night. Why don't you ever see these people on their laptops in McDonalds?

I've taken my laptop to McD's on my lunch break 😌

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't get any negativity about my surface 2, but I don't hang out at star bucks. If I did get some static I would probably tell them to **** off. When some one does ask me about it at my office usually very impressed and surprised how easy and effective w8 is. What gets me is the usually start out with " is that the new iPad?" What the heJJ??? I don't think you have to be a tech junkie to realize that there is a bunch of awesome tablets that kick azz that are not apple. Effective cult mentality marketing- CrossFit and apple. Nothing worse than some one posting there CrossFit workout on Facebook with their iPad. :smile:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you ever see these people on their laptops in McDonalds?

Uhh, I've taken my Surface to McD while I grab a bite of supper before I go to a meeting at church. Had an employee ask me how I liked it. It was a genuine question, as he was interested in getting one.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, the Surface Pro can definitely survive in Linux land. I took mine into my university's IT and they were in love with it. Exact quote from the IT chick at the front desk "I get so jealous of people when they come in with one of these" so... There's that.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077