Touch screen flickering / phantom touches

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone come across this yet on their Surface (mine is 1st gen, RT 64GB).

Gets really annoying and I have to switch the on/off switch to get it to go away.

But even then, when the flickering stops, I often can't access the charms bar by swiping from the right hand bezel.

Suggestions on how to fix would be great if anyone else has seen this before.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
That looks quite bad! Few obvious solutions in order they should be attempted:

1) Recalibrate screen after placing tablet on a completely flat surface parallel to the ground

2) Refresh

3) Full Reset

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That looks quite bad! Few obvious solutions in order they should be attempted:

1) Recalibrate screen after placing tablet on a completely flat surface parallel to the ground

2) Refresh

3) Full Reset

Is the recalibration function easy to find in the settings? I don't think I've ever seen it.

Strangely, I tested things yesterday a bit by restarting often etc., to no avail.

It really is something physically wrong because when I switch the orientation, it is always a problem around the righthand bezel when viewing the tablet with the Windows symbol at the bottom. (i.e. when I turned it 180? it was the left bezel that didn't work, 90? clockwise it was the bottom, etc.)

But, this is the really strange thing - I listened to a bit of music from the Surface for about 1 hour last night, and then a bit of a tv show, I instinctively swiped to see the time, and voila! The bezel works again without a problem. I don't understand it, but I'm happy. Let's see how it works later today...

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Is the recalibration function easy to find in the settings? I don't think I've ever seen it.
If you can bring up the search charm, just search for "calibrate", tap on "Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input" and follow the instructions.

But, this is the really strange thing - I listened to a bit of music from the Surface for about 1 hour last night, and then a bit of a tv show, I instinctively swiped to see the time, and voila! The bezel works again without a problem. I don't understand it, but I'm happy. Let's see how it works later today...
Gadgets do exhibit strange unexplained behaviour sometimes. I had a microwave once that somehow magically would start working perfectly whenever the repair guy came around, then go on strike soon after he was out of the door! The third time this happened I told him he might have to move in so I could use the darn thing. lol :) Anyway, as long as that awful flickering doesn't happen again I don't think you should worry about it, but if it does then it might be time to get Microsoft involved. All the best!

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had this happen a couple times. A full power off and on cured it (hold power button down for 6-8 seconds). Haven't had it happen for over a year now.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling that it's related to the keyboard, I found that it seems to occur when the keyboard is folded back as a base for the kickstand. when it's used normally, with the keyboard in front or just as a tablet this problem doesn't seem to occur.

Edit: Having done a complete factory reset the problem hasn't reoccurred so it's worth giving that a shot to see if it works for you.

Last edited:

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling that it's related to the keyboard, I found that it seems to occur when the keyboard is folded back as a base for the kickstand. when it's used normally, with the keyboard in front or just as a tablet this problem doesn't seem to occur.

Edit: Having done a complete factory reset the problem hasn't reoccurred so it's worth giving that a shot to see if it works for you.
I always have a heard tine doing a factory reset. I've tried recalibrating the screen for touch input, which seemed to work at first but its come back again. Getting a bit frustrated. Maybe I will have to do a full reset...

Gonna see if it is connected to the keyboard maybe. In the whole time I've never tested out without the keyboard.

One thing is for sure though, it is certainly only connected with that one bezel. When I switch the orientation I can access the charms bar without a problem. But whatever is in position of the"normal" right bezel doesn't. Strange

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos