Windows RT is dead?

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Dead? Why you think that? Just checked my Surface 2 and it sprang to life when I picked it up.

hahaha lol maybe im gonna buy a Surface rt 64gb and im loving! but i dk... i mean dead because only M$ launch RT devices, all others are from 2012(only the Nokia 2520 is new) and the new Windows 8 with Bing and why no Surface 3 RT? :s

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My Surface 2 (RT) isn't dead...

I'm really interested to see what's going to happen with this "great convergence" (when RT and WP are merged) though..

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I use my Surface RT everyday, with Windows RT 8.1, it is much alive... Now I had Windows RT 8, for a day just to fully patch it to get to Windows RT 8.1, so I can not compare what it would have been on launch day (just got mine on clearance last month), but for a first generation device (now with all the bugs worked out), it is a very capable device. I hope they release Windows RT 10, and I hope it has the desktop office apps as well as office metro apps, but I love the desktop with Window RT 8.1. I love that I can have the Desktop IE and Office apps and other Windows default apps windowed like a true Windows PC... If I want a tablet, I would have bought a tablet, Surface RT and Surface 2 are a hybrid device, a tablet that can be used like a desktop when needed, and play games like a tablet...

Microsoft so missed the marketing on this one, I would have never paid $500 for this type of device, ever, but on clearance it was a steal... I understand there is R&D, and the build of the device is great, and it has an almost full version of IE/Office, but it is not a x86 compatible and as such it should not be priced as such... When Windows 7 was a hit, I got an Acer machine for my wife to replace her Windows XP device, it was $250, 4G of ram, 500G 7200RPM HD, with Office Pro/Plus 2010 and Windows 7 Pro... That device can still run circles around my Surface RT and runs full versions of software, if they priced this device right they could have sold so many more... And why oh why produce a $20 keyboard and sell it for $129...

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It depends on what you mean by "Windows RT".

From a consumer's point of view, nothing will change. We will still have Windows tablets that run on ARM CPUs. We will still have Windows tablets that run Windows Store apps. We will still have Windows tablets that use the start screen. We will still have Windows tablets that are built around the modern UI design paradigm. In addition to that, we will even gain a touch optimized version of Office based entirely on modern UI that doesn't rely on the desktop.

Technically however, the OS currently called Windows RT is dead. Whether that is at all relevant just depends on your point of view.

If you're interested, here's an attempt at a more detailed explanation I wrote a few months ago.

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
My Surface 2 (RT) isn't dead...

I'm really interested to see what's going to happen with this "great convergence" (when RT and WP are merged) though..

Me too thats why i want one surface and why i ask this! Guess need to wait the 30 sept for a clue or something...

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Having just bought a 2520, I'm also a bit curious about its upgrade path. But I knew before I bought it, there could be a possibility there isn't an update beyond 8.1.X

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what you mean by "Windows RT".

From a consumer's point of view, nothing will change. We will still have Windows tablets that run on ARM CPUs. We will still have Windows tablets that run Windows Store apps. We will still have Windows tablets that use the start screen. We will still have Windows tablets that are built around the modern UI design paradigm. In addition to that, we will even gain a touch optimized version of Office based entirely on modern UI that doesn't rely on the desktop.

Technically however, the OS currently called Windows RT is dead. Whether that is at all relevant just depends on your point of view.

If you're interested, here's an attempt at a more detailed explanation I wrote a few months ago.

Jonh u are right! and a5cent ty for that post im gonna watch all in a moment!! But its true all what u say(sorry for my Little post im bussy now!)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Windows RT isn't dead, it's just waiting to be reborn like a butterfly fresh out of its cocoon! But I worry about what's going to happen once Windows RT and Phone merges. My concern is that the genie is already out of the bottle. I'd argue (based on W8 vs RT sales numbers) that people who want a Windows 8 tablet wants it for the option to install desktop applications. In fact, it's the best part about owning a Windows 8 tablet. Now, can Microsoft really sell people on the idea that Windows RT tablets are better than Windows 8 tablets? An additional 320k apps from WP is stellar but it's a drop in a bucket compared to full Windows. The selling point for Microsoft's entire Surface Pro line is that it's the perfect marriage between a laptop and tablet. Can Windows really compete with metro only? I have my doubts. If Windows 9 tablets lose the ability to install desktop applications, well, no thanks. I will gladly stick with Windows 8.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a ten month old Surface RT 64.

Haven't booted it on for 2 months now.

Be so cool to have a windows phone clone or whatever on it.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
ugh... why? its boring or what?

Mmmm...
I dunno not much use for it now that I bought the Dell Venue 8 Pro 64 with the keyboard, flip case and pen.

The RT was ok for 3-4 months then I realized I couldn't do a whole lot as it stood.
The wife gamed on it for a while then went back to her notebook.

I was going to toss it in the RV for streaming vids or music to the sound system and playing Mahjong, yet the phones we have do that also...
Makes me frown that it sits in a drawer (not sure where it is right now)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If Windows 9 tablets lose the ability to install desktop applications, well, no thanks. I will gladly stick with Windows 8.

I know this is obvious to you Cori, but just to clarify for others for whom it may not be:

We will still have convertables like the Surface Pro line of devices to choose from, which can function as a tablet and will run both desktop and modern apps. Windows 9 won't change anything about that.

Only the vanilla Surface types of devices, that came with Windows RT, are (technically) changing.

What I'd like to find out is whether people will be able to install WP9 (or whatever it is called) on existing ARM based Windows RT tablets. I'm expecting not, but I like positive surprises ;-)

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Lots of pundits want to bury it but there are few "voices of reason" out there like this:

6 reasons why Windows RT is the real future of Windows

I love Windows RT on my original Surface 64G. I use it all the time. Virus proof, not too fast but fast enough. It's been speculated that Windows RT 9 may remove the desktop I hope they don't, I love the desktop for file management, Notepad, Office, Paint, and the alternative IE.

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Lots of pundits want to bury it but there are few "voices of reason" out there like this:

6 reasons why Windows RT is the real future of Windows

I love Windows RT on my original Surface 64G. I use it all the time. Virus proof, not too fast but fast enough. It's been speculated that Windows RT 9 may remove the desktop I hope they don't, I love the desktop for file management, Notepad, Office, Paint, and the alternative IE.

ohh men... i really want a Surface but all of this makes me think a lot... damn i need the Microsoft event to see whats next...

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Please let Windows RT die. Why would you want Windows without real software when you can have Windows with real software (i.e. 8.1 with Bing) for the same price on devices like the dell venue pro 8, which are faster and cheaper than the Surface RT!

Core-m not ARM. Microsoft should stick with intels superior processors over these nvidia "desktop graphics" mobile processors etc.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Please let Windows RT die. Why would you want Windows without real software when you can have Windows with real software (i.e. 8.1 with Bing) for the same price on devices like the dell venue pro 8, which are faster and cheaper than the Surface RT!

Core-m not ARM. Microsoft should stick with intels superior processors over these nvidia "desktop graphics" mobile processors etc.

I don't want to run desktop apps on a tablet. It's just stupid. Give me RT with it's long battery life any day.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I was downloading a movie the other day. It was divided into 30 parts and when I had 1 piece left I got blocked because I had reached my free download limit. I thought I need a different IP address. So I looked at my phone and did the final download. Then the trouble started. I couldn't find the file on the phone. I downloaded a couple of file manager apps but no help.

Then I downloaded another browser which was supposed to keep track of downloads but that browser or the site wouldn't let the download begin. So after a lot of wasted time I gave up.

I have been thinking since then that if MS joins RT and WinP properly I will be a fan for life. You don't need the desktop on the phone but you should have everything else that my Surface RT has. There is no reason why you can't have explorer or file printing ect. on your phone.

They stalled the launch of the Surface mini. What they should come out with is a Surface mini phone, 6" with a pen. RT Phone wouldn't be dead then. I would still want the touch cover but loose the touch pad to save space. My touch cover is basically just a screen protector anyway.

Rant over

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb