Jail Break Surface RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
To Moderators,
I don't know if I am allowed to post anything about " Jail Break " Surface RT.
If it is a no-no, please delete my thread.

If it is ok to discuss the subject matter, I have a question to ask......
The article I read about "jail break " warns of void of warranty and possible BSOD.
Has any member done the jail break ? If yes, your opinion please.

The main reason of this thread is ...... being a diehard Windows user for 10 years, I find it hard to detach myself from Win 7 style Start Menu ( I use Start8 on my Win 8.1 Pro laptop ), and in order to reunite with Start Menu, I would have to "jail break" my Surface RT and then install Classic Start Menu. I am not sure if it is ok for me to do it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Discussion of jailbreaking is OK.
Discussion of piracy and how-to's is not.

First, XDA-Developers would be your first stop in any advanced jailbreak and other stuff as that's where most of the fancy htings happen.
Jailbreaking CAN void the warranty, and if the wrong thing is messed with, CAN result in errors.

I don't think there's much of a point talking about it since it is only on Windows RT 8.0, as RT 8.1 has not been jailbroken to date.

brandoncomputer

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Is jailbreaking considered a piracy? Would posting the How To here be inappropriate? What about linking folks to packages for their jailbroke device (open source recompiles?)

Edit
Just realized this thread is over a year old. Jailbreaking and piracy how-to's are not the same thing.
http: //forums.macrumors.com/threads/jailbreaking-software-piracy.1188392/
I feel that jailbreaking should be an open topic here.

Manufacturer hardware warrenties are already void on all RT devices, although the device software is supported (non-jailbroken).
Software support (which is void if you jailbreak) is ongoing until Jan 9th, 2018.

Windows RT 8.1 can be jailbroke at this time.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is jailbreaking considered a piracy? Would posting the How To here be inappropriate? What about linking folks to packages for their jailbroke device (open source recompiles?)

Jailbreaking and piracy are separate things.
Feel free to talk about jailbreaking anything, we just draw the line at application piracy whether encouraging it or showing how.

As for things recompiled for the ARM architecture, I'm sure it'll be fine for the most part.
It's probably hard to pirate something thats already free.

brandoncomputer

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
To answer the op (year old thread, but still)
Jailbreak
http: //forum.xda-developers.com/windows-8-rt/rt-development/windows-8-1-rt-jailbreak-exploit-t3226835
You will have to use the signtool from those instructions to sign classic start menu which is in the list here http: //forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2092348

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss