Windows.old 1.66GB

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Surface RT, 32 GB, Win RT 8.1 update 1
Bear with me.......
When I first setup my Surface RT ( about 2 weeks ago ), I created a Recovery USB drive.
Because of the concern of lack of disk space, I deleted the Windows.od folder which I later regretted.
Yesterday, I did a Refresh. After dust settled, I check my This PC and found that I have a little over 16 GB of disk space available. I opened the C drive and to my surprise, Windows.old folder is listed and there are contents inside. Ran a disk cleanup, and when I ran the System files delete option, I saw the Previous Windows Installation(s) with 1.66 GB. (No, I left that one alone this time.)
Question :
Does that 1.66GB sound right ?
Should it be more than that ?

P.S. Why the hell does Disk Cleanup take so long. (I aborted it after about 15 minutes. )

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can delete the Windows.old, preferably via Disk Cleanup. Ideally, under normal circumstances, it can be deleted.

Don't know why it takes so long, personally.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
You can delete the Windows.old, preferably via Disk Cleanup. Ideally, under normal circumstances, it can be deleted.

Don't know why it takes so long, personally.

Sorry, a misunderstanding of my question.
I knew how to delete Windows.old. In fact I should have kept it in the first place when I setup the tablet.

My question ..... is 1.66 GB sound right or should it be more than that ?
Thank you.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, a misunderstanding of my question.
I knew how to delete Windows.old. In fact I should have kept it in the first place when I setup the tablet.

My question ..... is 1.66 GB sound right or should it be more than that ?
Thank you.

It doesn't really matter what you do with it, it just takes up space. It's old Windows stuff shoved in there as a backup/archive. It's safe to delete.

The size of that thing varies, so I cant say. I wouldn't pay it much heed though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon