RT won't wake up problem returns with a vengeance, what do I do?

joddle

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
RT "won't wake up" problem returns with a vengeance

Having owned my Surface RT for two years, for the most pat I have been very pleased with it. I went through a stage where it would go to sleep then not wake up again but after a few updates that problem largely went away. However, over the past two weeks it has done some updates and now virtually every time it sleeps it the won't wake up and requires a re-boot. This is making working with the RT a nightmare as I find I am rebooting it almost every time I want to use it! Does anyone have any advice or a solution to this?

I did a refresh some time ago but don't want to do a factory reset as my kids have a game with a very high score which has taken them over a year to accumulate and the last time we did a factory reset they lost everything despite having done a proper backup and restored from it - we queried that with the software company (Fingersoft) and they confirmed it would happen again if we did a factory reset as their high scores do not get stored in the backup! So what now? As I said - any ideas please?

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: RT "won't wake up" problem returns with a vengeance

This is probably not related but mine would shutdown then not wake or power back on. I traced it to the touch cover. Try using it without the touch cover and see if anything changes.

joddle

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand - what touch cover? Its a simple tablet Surface RT with no bits on it as far as I can see that I can remove.,

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: RT "won't wake up" problem returns with a vengeance

My RT problems are always due to it being filled up with old restore and update files. Run disk cleanup and delete the windows.old folder if one exists.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a now-Windows-10 Surface Pro 2 that I use regularly, as needed; but, I'm fortunate that my RT gets daily use and still performs as new. Admittedly, I do not tax it with anything more challenging than the free Asphalt 8 app many or all of us got early on. Otherwise, it's mostly daily browsing, Word'g, and OneNote'g, and occasionally playing through videos to my HD monitor. My touch keyboard is quite frayed at the fold because I use it in folded-over mode 98% of the time. About once every couple of months or so, it disconnects enough to not shut down automatically on closure. Simply disconnecting fully and reconnecting it solves the problem immediately, and THAT is the only way this RT has balked since November of 2012. It's set to automatically update, and it does so flawlessly as often as it wishes.

Sorry that others are experiencing problems, and that I don't have the experience to help. Good luck, and happy RTg to all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb