PureView "Zoom" Examples

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm very interested in the digital zoom, that I assume is available on the 808 PureView, and that will be available on the Lumia 1020 as well. Is there a website that shows how it works and examples of pictures taken? Or do any of you here on the forum have examples? I'd like to see how good the digital zoom performs.

Thank you!

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is that digital zoom generally does no more than you can do in PhotoShop unlike optical zoom.

With optical zoom you actually get additional picture detail, while digital zoom is the same detail enlarged.

In other words I would not keep hopes too high for any digital zoom as the focal length remains fixed...

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is that digital zoom generally does no more than you can do in PhotoShop unlike optical zoom.

With optical zoom you actually get additional picture detail, while digital zoom is the same detail enlarged.

In other words I would not keep hopes too high for any digital zoom as the focal length remains fixed...

Though you are still not enlarging 5MP to a pixel mess, but you are zooming in that 38MP sensor. You will lose oversampling, but other than that. Coming from 808 owner I love the smooth video zooming on 808.

Some examples after 5min.
Nokia 808 PureView UI Demo and Video Zooming Demo - YouTube

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the more you zoom, the less pixels are combined.

The most impressive thing for me is the fact that they are using all available pixels when recording video.. almost all other phones (except the N8) use only part of all the pixels coming from the sensor

http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2012/03/icamera-nokia-808-pureview-part-i.html

"All still photo cameras have the problem that the sensor has many more pixels than there are in HD video. But it is hard to read out all pixels of a still image (10 MP or more) 24, 25, 30 or even 60 times a second. Therefore, still cameras only read a small fraction of its pixels to make the video stream, known as subsampling or line skipping. The effect is a significant degradation of image quality in video mode: there is noise, line flicker, color moir? and the result is no match for HD content produced with so called 4k cameras or cameras with supersampling such as the Canon C300. Such cameras cost $15,000 or more (a notworthy exception is the Panasonic GH2 though which made it the camera of choice for serious video work on a budget).

And what shall I say? The iCamera does it too, not supersampling 8MP (C300) or 16MP (GH2) but supersampling all 33,593,616 pixels (16:9) 30 times every second! That's one billion pixels the iCamera processes every second. In a mobile phone. This is crazy!"

Stills

Video works very well for concerts..

Here's Snoop

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786