Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By krox1105
  • 1 Post By Muessig
  • 2 Post By bubleCHAMBER

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    Today when Nokia were previewing the Camera Pro app at the announcement and demonstrated Manual Focus, truly, I was awe-struck.
    I was definite that this is a breakthrough feature and would be among the main camera highlights of 'The' 1020. Sadly, that isn't the case. Most sites are treating it as just a 'yeah-whatever' feature.
    My brother was previously considering an entry level DSLR (Nikon D5100) because of the ability to focus manually, knowing very well that the DSLR would be just for photography, nothing else.
    But now Nokia just made the choice so much more difficult for him ;)

What do you guys think? Does manual focus matter to you? Or you think that auto-focus does the job just fine?

Global Posts
    4,046 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    It might be because on existing camera apps like Camera 350 and ProShot you can already adjust the focus manually. Nokia Pro Cam is just bringing in the functionality you had to get another app to use until now. It's not a 1020 exclusive thing. :)

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    It might be because on existing camera apps like Camera 350 and ProShot you can already adjust the focus manually. Nokia Pro Cam is just bringing in the functionality you had to get another app to use until now. It's not a 1020 exclusive thing. :)
    Really? Why isn't the feature advertised properly? For me it means a whole new dimension of macros on a phone! :D
    PS. I own a Lumia 800 and I haven't tried any professional camera app available for Windows Phone 8.
    tissotti likes this.

Manual focus is important to control and give the videos a shallow depth of field in the background and also for macro shots in photography. In the demo they only show manual focus in photography but not in video. Its a minus for me if it doesn't offer manual focus in video. And also, in the demo they didn't show if there are image controls settings like changing the contrast, saturation, sharpness and brightness. If those settings don't exist in the nokia pro cam, I would just buy a real camera with full manual settings.

Global Posts
    4,046 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Krox, take a look at the camera guide in my signature (click the image) and in that guide there's a few apps I recommend taking a look at. Search them on the WP7 store and try a few out. I'd love to know if you can get something like ProShot. I believe you can.
    Thanked by:
    krox1105 likes this.

The only downside of Smartphone photography has been lack of control on the depth of field. It is great for macros and portraits. Nokia addresses to that issue here to a great extent. ProShot and Camera 360 are paid apps. This will come out of the box.
    tissotti and Muessig like this.

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    Krox, take a look at the camera guide in my signature (click the image) and in that guide there's a few apps I recommend taking a look at. Search them on the WP7 store and try a few out. I'd love to know if you can get something like ProShot. I believe you can.
    Will sure do :)