Why all the backlash against 1020!

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I just can't believe the amount of negative press I am reading against the 1020! Here's a couple of comments from online:

'no one wants an amazing camera, they want apps'

'Nokia is being held back by WP8'

'less gimmicky megapixel counts, more cores (quad core)'

'the camera is great, but I want a phone I'm not ashamed of'

'they are so far behind Samsung S4 and HTC One'

'it is only just more aesthetically pleasing than the Samsung S4 Galaxy Zoom!!!'

The last one really annoyed me, lol! Nokia are offering choice...what's wrong with that? They aren't forcing anyone to buy this phone. If anything, it should help people decide on other Nokia phones...'they made a 41mp camera, so this {insert any other Lumia} must have a decent camera for the price range'!

It's a sad day when some companies get praised for the worst truly gimmicky tricks up their sleeves...and true innovators get kicked to the curb!

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, some of those criticisms are actually true. The buying public aren't generally interested in super high mega pixel counts when buying a smart phone. They're more interested in how the phone looks and of course, application availability.

Even though this is a magnificent innovation from Nokia the average buyer isn't going to see it that way and just see it as another Windows Phone. As such, I fear that this might hurt Nokia due to the amount of money they have invested in R&D for this phone and might not see the returns they so badly need. Hopefully I'm wrong on this.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I see a lot of comments about people wishing Nokia had gone android. Maybe they are just jealous. Perhaps they are trying to push the bad press in the hopes that they will fail with Windows Phone. Some of those quotes are bizarre. How can the pixel count be gimimicky when they flat out demonstrated a practical use of it at the presentation. How is it then, any less gimmicky than more cores? Yes because I need all them cores for Facebook :eck:

'the camera is great, but I want a phone I'm not ashamed of'.. well I would be ashamed if I was seen with the S4 Zoom next to my head taking a phone call.

Just laughable hate towards Nokia and Windows Phone. I bet if they released this phone on Android, the press would be all over it saying how it is the best thing ever.

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you know whats the best thing about NOKIA ??? Its the software updates that it is providing to all Lumia Pureview series owners. Other OEMs sucks in this department specially HTC and Samsung! Even MS has increased the support cycle for Windows Phone 8 from 18 months to 36 months! All these are very positive news for Windows Phone and Nokia!

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think this is just a general trend in the tech media to do with anything connected with Microsoft and yes, I'm saying it's a bias, a distortion of the truth. They have swallowed the Google pill and it is almost doctrine to them now to point out the lack of apps when a more detailed analysis is needed to assess the relative merits of the competing app stores. Yes, you have more apps, but what percentage of those apps are any good and what percentage are malware.

Similarly, journalists had a fixation with megapixels when the Lumia 920 was the hero device, pointing out the GS4 had 13 to the 920's 8.6, but now the GS4/HTC One are beaten they say its a niche market. Moving goalposts anyone?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think this proves the point that people have become more cynical towards good things because they don't want to seem to support stuff lest they be labelled as fanboys or some similar word.

All this social and stuff on our mobiles has indeed made us more cynical, gave us the tendency to start putting out hateful stuff because we can and moreover it is only the negative statements that catch the eye. People who are happy with the device don't post because they are happy with it and people who have problems are the ones posting a lot and creating a ruckus.

1020 has a proven camera technology. Windows Phone has yet to prove that it can compete with Android and iOS on the app front, in my opinion it is a notch ahead in terms of User Interface, but is a bit behind on the USer Experience. The fascination with having higher specs is something nobody can deny, I was bashed on one of the posts because I said that it doesn't matter in WP, I wont do that again.

I know most tech blogs have reviewers who have used windows phone once or twice, just did a search for a few apps, didn't find them and think that they have the right to comment on windows phone without even using it properly. Of course they can say what they can and we will have to bear with it. But the amount of misinformation regarding windows phone is alarming,that is the reason why I follow select tech blogs which are unbiased and reasonable.. if we care about everything everyone says it is we who lose our peace.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just remember this: Android rules the smartphone market, taking in most of the sales worldwide, yet...it is lower on the satisfaction scale than WP8 and iOS. The majority of people are buying Android phones because of word of mouth from techies, what they see others using, and cost. I laugh every time I hear a couple of Galaxy owners asking each other how to do some rather simple things on their phones, yet they love them because they can do all these things that nobody would regularly do with a phone. One of the techs I support just got an HTC One and he raves about the ability to swipe up with 3 fingers and put his display on the big screen (I twirl my finger in my head at that one).

People have different tastes and different reasons for choosing what they do. The good thing is that people are being swayed toward WP8. It's easy to show how WP8 provides a better experience for most use cases of most users. So be patient. The techies on these blogs have a deep long hatred for MS. I hated them too back in the OS/2 days (Windows 2000 was WinNT with a bunch of OS/2 technology thrown in, which is why it was so good). They've changed in the last few years. They aren't as "evil" as they used to be, and Google has become what MS once was. But the important thing is that not everyone has to like MS and WP8 for it to succeed. If Nokia sells well over 7 million Lumias this past quarter, then WP8 will continue to have momentum. That is the only thing that truly matters.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed when a new device is released there is a big negative push initially. I see it in forums as well as techie mags. I think some of this is paid for advertising and some is I hate anything different. I have seen"this is stupid" comments from android fans which is surprising seeing how android is the king of gimmicky. Not to long ago the camera was one of the main reasons iPhone was #1. Now it is apps. Why do I get the feeling it will be whatever iPhone or Android do well at as long as they are on top?

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Who knows...only one thing is for certain...I WILL BE TRADING IN MY 920 FOR ONE! Tbh...the camera is the main reason I even got the 920 and it's something I have grown to love, as I have realised that software, not hardware were to blame for the early softness!

However, it is still an amazing camera...I made a music video using it! Everyone who sees it never believes I used a phone!

Imagine the possibilities using this new beast!!! Can't wait!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I've asked so many of my customers ( I own a stereo shop and used to I repeat used to sell metro pcs) how much does a awesome camera matter in you choosing a cellphone all and I mean everyone I've asked say it does not matter at all as long as its good there more concerned about hardware look and functionality not a gazillion mp camera phone to me its kinda like buying a tv because it has the best remote control ever for a tv but the tv is still a tube analog ut may have the best remote ever seen but the tv it self is outdated compared to other tv me not concerned about remotes only hardware picture quality! Same for smartphones sweet camera lens on the new 1020 but everything else is the same oh sorry except 2gb ram instead of 1gb

Melus Haque

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, some of those criticisms are actually true. The buying public aren't generally interested in super high mega pixel counts when buying a smart phone. They're more interested in how the phone looks and of course, application availability.

Even though this is a magnificent innovation from Nokia the average buyer isn't going to see it that way and just see it as another Windows Phone. As such, I fear that this might hurt Nokia due to the amount of money they have invested in R&D for this phone and might not see the returns they so badly need. Hopefully I'm wrong on this.

And that, sadly is the truth. And this kinda applies even to those who "kinda know", as they see point and shoot cameras coming in 24 megapixels, while DSLRs in 12 MPs, and try to find the reasons behind. My higher-in-class Nikon for example, shoots in less MPs than the D3200. I guess this varies from one device to another, and instead of generalizing, one should try hard to find out about the 1020 to really appreciate its capabilities.

And that's not what many people have time to do.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
no one wants an amazing camera, they want apps
Well that's half true and one must see that a nice camera AND an abundance of good apps are required.
Nokia is being held back by WP8
I have wondered this also, due to Nokia's constant innovation push. I wonder what could be if they had more freedom with WP8?
less gimmicky megapixel counts, more cores (quad core)
I'm not sure on the gimmick question until I dig deeper. The quad plea echoes on this forum too. I fall on the try it and let's see side.
the camera is great, but I want a phone I'm not ashamed of
I too am not too keen on the rear of the phone, however I can see that they did the best with they could.
they are so far behind Samsung S4 and HTC One
This just points back to the cpu, storage, etc specs debate mentioned.
it is only just more aesthetically pleasing than the Samsung S4 Galaxy Zoom!!!
That one was funny, but exaggerated a lot. I understand the concept, but I'm not holding a point&shoot to my head to talk. Nokia looks better, but has its aesthetic flaws too.

When reading reviews, one must keep an open and unbiased mind. Also realizing where the author's loyalty "lies". Take CNET with anything Apple. We also can't be so much of a ****** that we discard constructive criticism.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
It's pathetic that people become so emotionally invested with a cellular device. I feel sorry for their significat other and kids....God forbid they have any.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)