Nokia Lumia 1020: User Reviews

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
If you get hands on to one, share it here!

If you have seen anyone else do it online and want opinions from the community - share it here!

ktcred

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I had the opportunity to get my hands on both the Lumia 925 and 1020 for the first time last night. I currently carry a Lumia 820, as the 920 was just too bulky and heavy for my taste. I've been eyeing a replacement device for the 820 and had hopes that the 925 would be that device. I have been skeptical of the 1020 since the specs leaked and I was all but certain I was going for the lighter and thinner 925 model.

I was immediately impressed upon first holding the 925. (This particular unit did not have the wireless charging shell.) The form factor is excellent and it didn't feel any bigger than my 820, due to its fantastic weight and thinness. I started to chat with the individual that had the phone and mentioned my desire to get my hands on the 1020 before I finalized my decision. The next thing I know, I have two white 1020s in my hand. Needless to say, I was more than surprised. Not only was I shocked that I got to hold one (two) the day of the announcement, but I was equally surprised by the form factor. I was able to compare it to the 925, my 820, and a 920. The 1020 feels great and I'm very impressed by the weight reduction (from the 920). The camera hump wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, but it did rest awkwardly on the table. The phone actually tilts to you as a result. They need to market that as a feature (I kid).

The camera and zoom features were very impressive. We were conducting all types of tests, including tests in low light conditions. We even compared pictures against an SLR. Both the 925 and 1020 performed quite well. the 1020, clearly, is a best when it comes to detail and zoom. It is worth mentioning that this was the first time I got to experiment with the 920 in low light considerations and I was very, very disappointed, especially when you consider all of the claims about its magic. The 925 performed well, but it had a bit of a glow around the whites. I won't even mention my paperweight 820, it isn't worth the ink.

I've always been a minimalist and thought I would never go higher than a 4" screen. However, I have zero hesitation when it comes to the 1020. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone that wouldn't even consider a 920. The 920 looks like a tank compared to the 1020, in my opinion. Nokia did a great job of rounding the edges to give the perception of a very slim device. Also, the weight is just fantastic. I wish I had a chance to try the wireless charging shell, as that will clearly add bulk and weight.

Until yesterday, I was sold on the 925. However, now that I got to test drive both, I believe I will be going the route of the 1020. It makes it a bit easier for me, as well, considering I'm on AT&T and I don't have to worry about finding the right variant of an unlocked 925.

ktcred

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Oh...and on to my next big decision: what color to purchase. I was thinking black, but now I'm debating if it is too boring after seeing it in white last night.

POCKETABLEtech

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Here's one video I recorded at the event. It's a hardware comparison between the Lumia 1020 vs the Lumia 920.
I have another 2 videos from the Reinvented event up on my channel if anyone is interested.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
white.jpg
The Nokia Lumia 1020 offers a rebirth on how we *humans interact with our most desired technology. *Nokia is on to something that many of us already know; *the insatiable desire to photograph, videograph, Vinify, or Tube everything. *Until now it has always been *a phone plus this, a phone plus that, a phone *featuring *magical gifts from unicorns. A camera, that is also a phone....say it to yourself.....A camera that is also a phone. *Forget your phone! Everyone has *a phone, but we all don't carry cameras! *Once upon a time we carried phones that took photos, now we can carry a camera that not only takes amazing pictures but also meets every need for this decade's technological level and usage in regards to personal communicating devices.

9380373351_d1921f7bcd_n.jpg
For 48 hours as of 1:42 AM this morning, Sunday the 28th, I have been accompanied by a Nokia Lumia 1020. Due to sleeping and other hand required events; I sadly, have not spent all of those hours with the 1020. *This is also my first time using a Nokia device as well as the Windows Phone *system. *Leaving the Korean flavor of Android and learning a new OS has been fun, challenging and awkward at times. SO far the experience of my fingers sliding tiles and pushing up and pulling down upon the shiny screen has been very enjoyable. *The genius who finally decided to put the address bar for the browser at its bottom should be awarded a gold star. *How long have I wished for the *address bar to be at *the bottom only to have my finger shake in frustration to flick some endless abyss? *The Windows Phone 8 system is definitely unique, smooth and informative. *Its way of giving you information with minimal interaction seems to be very efficient and pleasant. *The windows tiles stack together very well, giving you a very cohesive ecosystem that is alive and customize-able for every taste. Widgets and folders now seem to offer *a *disconnected system much like an overstuffed and disorganized kitchen drawer. * One swipe to the left and all your apps appear; no more opening an endless left and right slide-off or digging around a cluttered folder.​

9380451463_19ff9b5417_t.jpg
Camera
The other day after midnight on the 26th, the planned day of reckoning *for the smartphones and cameraphones began. Like clockwork every major techno-gadget site began publishing their Lumia 1020 reviews like the conveyor belt in a tuna canning factory. *One after another spouted out the same information available to North Koreans everywhere; the reviews turned into a modern techno-news feed facsimile. *So yes, the camera is pretty ******* great. *The greatest camera to also be a phone. *It is the next step in gadgets; the next level *that pushes boundaries and relieves us from the stagnant sea of smartphone numbness. *It's not as thin as the *latest droid and apple crops; in fact it is the perfect thickness one expects in a unit of substance. *The incorporated lanyard slot truly is the best kept and most overlooked feature of this device. *Be daring and ditch your case; quit wearing a helmet in public now that you can carry this baby around with a small strap. *The buttons are sturdy, so is the carbonate shell. The 1020 feels perfect. *The hump where the 6 lenses hide does take some getting used to. But once you realize the center of gravity for the device is right on the curve of the *hump you realize this hunk of photo shooting love was meant to be held, grabbed, pinched and squeezed; not to mention tapped with the latest Glance upgrades. *Good things come to those who wait. *Each shot will take a bit longer than many have come to expect once *the dedicated shutter button is pressed. However, the minuscule wait is worth it. Have fun. Enjoy its abilities. Surprise your friends and make a cinemagraph with the Nokia Cinemagraph App. <Look at Jack Wag his tail --> Nokia Memories

Do you want to capture every moment with the detail required to remind you how wonderful *reality can be? *Then stop using a phone with washed out images of your life and began using a camera that can perfectly communicate with the world as well as capture every moment, *color, smile and hidden face.

Below are a smattering of test photos shot in BASIC AUTO MODE with modest lighting conditions including a poorly lit dining room, a back yard, a cloudy day graveyard, and inside a Whole Foods store.The point of the gallery below is to demonstrate the ability one has to have huge 34 to 38mp shots that provide more photographic data with enough detail to expand the ways of interacting and enhancing *pictures.

Start with Tobi, here on the left.
Lumia1020 Re-Crop Examples-AUTO Settings - a set on Flickr

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Some people may have read some of my experience involving the Microsoft Store online preorders. It was terrible... no information, slow updates, and they STILL haven't shipped yet. So, I ended up driving up to the Beachwood Mall store in Cleveland, OH (about an hour away from me in Youngstown). It was a great experience, and I ended up getting a free camera grip, $50 gift card for a 2 year contract + $10 WP Store gift card, and $25 Bing Challenge gift card... so $75 towards any future purchase! :)

As for the Lumia 1020 itself, well, it's spectacular and not just for the obvious benefit of the camera (which yes, really is awesome). In fact, the biggest benefits I've found so far are FIXES for the Lumia 920 glitches I've experienced since launch.

When I first upgraded to the Lumia 920 (from the HTC Titan), I lost the ability to listen to my work Exchange server's voicemail attachments (standard WAV audio files). This has infuriated me to no end for nearly a year, but to be clear it was a WP8 bug. The Lumia 1020 fixes this, so I'm assuming it's part of the GDR2 update. Another audio-related issue was that while on a call, notification alerts would trigger a trio of email alert tones followed by the actual alert tone that was coming in. It was very distracting when on a call, and this is definitely fixed in GDR2 as well. HALLELUJAH!!

As far as actual 920 to 1020 improvements, well... SPEAKER and CALL QUALITY improvements! Big time! I often struggled to hear on the 920... volume was NEVER loud enough on ear piece or speaker phone. Also, I frequently had people telling me they couldn't hear me or that I was cutting out. Both of those issues are definitely resolved. In fact, when I call my work voicemail system, I can hear messages loud and clear, and it never misses my voice commands. So the bottom line... FINALLY-- a smartphone that's an excellent, intelligent PHONE! :)

Other hardware aspects that stand out... the camera and display are both obvious and plenty has been said about them, so I'm not going to elaborate on them too much. The camera hump is really not that bad. Pictures don't do it justice, because it's very subtle in reality. In fact, if you put a wireless charging shell on this phone, it's only barely thicker than the 920 (~1mm). The phone itself is crazy thin and light and while some may find the hump awkward, I really don't think so. My index finger naturally curves over it the way I naturally hold the phone, so it's actually nice to hold. As for the display, well, I personally enjoy it. I really like the color depth of AMOLED. It's much better than the LCD. However, when scrolling through I do notice some blurring, so (IMO) the PureMotion display isn't quite up to snuff as on the LCD version. That said, it's not terrible, and I only notice it when scrolling through text. I've not seen any blurring on videos or game graphics. The ability to adjust display saturation is a welcome improvement too for those who like more natural or more saturated tones.

Glance is a really neat feature. I'm surprised by how much I like it. I've set it to Peek mode. Interestingly though, it's double-tap that I love the most. I don't know why, but it feels easier to double-tap and swipe up to bring my phone back to life. Power buttons are so... quaint, lol. Actually, it kinda makes me wish there was a way to bring up music controls on the lockscreen without pressing the volume keys.

Honestly, if there's one hardware attribute of the 1020 that I'm not fond of... it's the vibration. I keep my phone on vibrate most of the time so that my constant barrage of email notifications don't annoy people around me. Unfortunately, the strength of the vibrations is very light, and I don't hear it or feel it as well as I'd like. It's actually weaker than the already lame 920 vibration.

So here's the bottom line... if you're on the fence about this phone, here's my advice. If you have a 92X device, upgrade ONLY if you really want/need the extra camera depth, otherwise look forward to the GDR2/Amber update which will bring you all of the software improvements. If you're on any other device, you can pick any device in the 900/1000 series and be VERY happy with it, but the 1020 is the new standard until we see a 900-series refresh.

(On a side note, I don't expect the 900-series refresh to happen until spring with the WP 8.1 release. With the introduction of 928 and 925 very recently, Nokia won't want to revise those for at least 6 months. With the introduction of the 1020, the 920 refresh isn't necessary as soon. I have been speculating that Nokia may use this 1020 exclusive to their advantage to launch a 930 model in spring on ALL carriers. Pure conjecture though.)

Anthony Lowry

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I find the earpiece sound quality terrible. Also, the headphone max volume is lower than desired.
Battery life is too early to judge. It has been falling short the last two days. Taking photos taxes it really hard.

These are my nit picks aside from the lower than desired app selection. However, that is not a huge deal for me. The biggest software hurdle for me is MS themselves. I want to have confidence in this platform, but they seem to be dragging their feet booting the robustness of the OS.

I will miss two things from other platforms immediately. Printing & File Manager.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I find the earpiece sound quality terrible. Also, the headphone max volume is lower than desired.
Battery life is too early to judge. It has been falling short the last two days. Taking photos taxes it really hard.

I havent noticed a problem with the earpiece sound. Battery, yeah so far it seems to blow, but everyone smart phone i have had with a big screen has blown; let's just hope it doesnt blow AS bad.

rmmoore80

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both got 1020's Friday morning. My wife initially had a bad SIM card but that was resolved by AT&T. Great experience in the store.

One comment to add to the other reviews - our first day had terrible battery life. Once we both let our phones drain out completely and recharge fully the battery life was significantly better. Also, we realized we had really used the phones to an extensive degree (my wife took photos of our baby all day long) causing extra battery drain. After an entire weekend I'm much more pleased with the battery.

Ignore all the Samsung and competitor paid "haters" that post smear campaigns. The camera is absolutely astounding. I have yet to find a situation that the camera (both still and video) did not amaze me. The only bad photos I have taken were either testing "bad" manual settings or due to my lack of experience. I'm a software developer, not a photographer. My wife took some pictures with her camera that absolutely amaze me. She took a picture of a flower garden from really far away and reframed it and you would think she was standing in the middle of the flower garden.

I VERY much agree with the other poster who said all the little improvements add up to a great experience. I keep finding myself saying "Oh hey they fixed that, sweet" or "Oh hey I didn't realize it could do this".

Windows Phone has a bright future. Next year's phones that improve on this one can only be tremendous. We had friends over Saturday night who were all hardcore iPhone users. By the end of the night two want 1020's now (the other is pretty stubborn).

As a side note, one of the friends said "I just got a Windows 8 touch laptop, does it work like that?" I showed her how my surface worked compared to my phone and having a phone that functioned like her laptop sold her.

coteganut

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It's my first windows phone (still have my N9) so far so good. obviously the camera is amazing, the phone feels and looks great in person. Especially yellow it definitely looks better in person than the picture. It runs super smooth for the most part. I definitely will get a wireless charging case (black) for the phone, it would make the phone look way better and make the camera hump less obvious. I am not a crazy app person, so I find there's more than enough apps for me in the store. I just want them to add more setting options for the os itself, also a command prompt type access would be nice.

The following is just my opinion about windows phone 8 os. I wish they allow more ways to customize the tiles, like with the option of adding borders, transparent tiles etc, I mean come on, how can they not think of these things, they're really simple to implement. Also would be nice if they add some animated background behind the tiles with some sort of particle effects would be nice.

Sometimes I hit the "window" button by accident, at first I thought the app crashed or something, then I hit the back button and it gets right back to the app. At first I was annoyed that I cant find the a way to close the app, then I found out i just have to hit the back button to close it. and holding down the back button allows me to jump to any app that is left open in the background which is nice. I figured I should mention these thing since it would be helpful for new windows phone user. oh, and holding down the windows button jumps to voice command which is nice too. But Microsoft definitely needs to add a lot more features for the os.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Any comments on the increased RAM, a few early posts I saw stated that games run a bit smoother with the extra 1GB, thoughts?

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Tis a small world, I was thinking about heading up to that very store this weekend to check this phone out. This will be my first smartphone, and I'm considering the usuall competitors, S4, Iphone, etc. Thanks for the review!

Steve

So, I ended up driving up to the Beachwood Mall store in Cleveland, OH (about an hour away from me in Youngstown). It was a great experience, and I ended up getting a free camera grip, $50 gift card for a 2 year contract + $10 WP Store gift card, and $25 Bing Challenge gift card... so $75 towards any future purchase! :)

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I find this phone to be superior to my previous 8x. My blue 8x is the best looking phone I've ever had, but I'm really happy with the style of the 1020 in white where I don't miss the 8x style at all. I really like all the Nokia developed apps, and it's obvious Nokia cares about WP8 than HTC. My g/f has a Nexus 4 and we both felt the 8x's camera was slightly better, but she constantly touts how great the photos look on the 1020. For me, it's a very noticeable improvement over the 8x's camera. I'm still using auto settings and the pictures look great. I can only imagine how they will look when I learn how to tweak the manual settings later on.

My biggest issue is the phone is slippery in my hand compared to the 8x. I dropped it twice in the first 24 hours, but thankfully it was in my car and on my bed. I feel more adjusted now. In the 10 days of owning it I did have 2 reboots and 1 lock up with two of the occurrences being on the charger. I will keep tracking and see how it goes.

Battery life is pretty good. I'd say it's better than the 8x battery, but probably not by a whole lot. I had the phone charging in my car while using Nokia Drive and streaming via bluetooth on full screen brightness and loss about 5% battery life in 90 minutes which means I shouldn't have to worry about battery life during my upcoming 2000 mile drive later this month. On a side note. The GPS locks on super quick for me when launching Nokia Drive; wayyy faster than the 8x.

Pros:
-Camera lives up to the hype. I find it to be amazing.
-Nokia Pro Cam app works great.
-Feels really well constructed.
-Beautiful display
-Very good call quality
-Good looking phone. I really like the white color.
-GPS locks on super quick.
-No more annoying 'beats audio' chime when I plug in my earphones. May not seem like a big deal but when you're not thinking about it, it can hurt your ears with max volume.
-Nokia exclusive apps wayyy better than HTC's poor offerings.

Neutral:
-Double tap doesn't always wake up from 'peek' for me. I haven't determined if I have to tap a certain speed, so it may be the way I tap.
-Bulkier than many phones. It will affect some users more than others but it's fine with me. Well worth the sacrifice for all the technology crammed in.
-The stock sound notifications on the Nokia kind of suck. I miss the e-mail notification sound from my 8x. It's a very light sound.

Cons:
-Polycarbonite material is slippery in my hands. I worry I will be dropping this more often than I did with the 8x
-A couple random reboots.

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
first impressions, first day here...coming from a 920...

50 grams really makes a difference, it is so much ligher in your hand
the nokia clock is great, when you put in your pocket it turn off automatically...really niceeee feature for me...
2 gig looks a bitter fast for me in email and apps

don't want to talk about camera, it is amazing.period.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs