Am I the only one who hates the design?

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I thought there'd be many people, even Nokia fans who would agree with me that the 1020 looks quite ugly (mostly from the back) but I've been lurking round the forum and no one has said such a thing...I mean, we all know it has a brilliant camera, but how can you not say a word about that ugly, circular hump? I much prefer the hump-less albeit thick design of the 920, and I also wonder why they made the camera part circular, it just looks like it doesn't fit in a rectangular device to me. Making it rectangular would have been better, but a black strip like the 920 would have been the best.

Seriously guys please tell me I'm not the only one...

MXI

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you are the only one, I don't love it either but I believe most people realize that there need to be sacrifices made for this type of device and you sure can't please everyone.

Sure Nokia could have chosen to make the phone a brick, maybe adding a slightly larger battery and wireless charging to increase the thickness to make it flush, but then you will have just a many whiners complaining its too thick. The way it is now, you can increase the thickness using the optional plates (either wireless or batter/camera grip) to whatever suits you best.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If we all had the same perception of beauty, it would be awfully boring. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Didnt we get this same thing when pictures of the 925 first appeared, now everyone seems to love it when they've held it. Funny that....

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
A month or two back when I saw the original shell of the phone with the big circular cut out I thought it would not be a good looking phone. However, Nokia seems to have made the phone look pretty good with the cap on the hump. The cap actually makes the hump look like it means business.

Of course with the technology crammed in there you have to make some sacrifices.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
All of the tech blogs that covered it yesterday said it looks a lot better in person than it does in photos, and actually feels great in the hand.

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
Lighter, slimmer. Looks fine to me. Camera housing is large but that can't be helped.

Only negative for me is no built in wireless charging.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Its not a great looking phone but I will still buy it. I will happily carry that ugly phone around and take pictures of everything. I will be able to zoom without degrading the picture.

WP8fan

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
...I mean, we all know it has a brilliant camera, but how can you not say a word about that ugly, circular hump? I much prefer the hump-less albeit thick design of the 920, and I also wonder why they made the camera part circular, it just looks like it doesn't fit in a rectangular device to me. Making it rectangular would have been better, but a black strip like the 920 would have been the best.

Seriously guys please tell me I'm not the only one...

I completely agree with everything you just said. I thought I was going to shy away from the Lumia 925 in favor of the 1020 in yellow. But that large black circle on the back ruins the flow of the phone and is too "constrasty" against the yellow or whatever color body. It also make the phone look unbalanced and top heavy. I wonder about laying on a table. No, you are not the only one.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I actually agree that the hump is bit of an eye sore. It's just out there! Baby got back!!! I'm actually considering getting my first black Lumia phone. I think the black circular hump blends in better with the black body.

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Man I feel the same the camera hump looks downright ugly, and my main concern is since I like to keep it protected, the hump is going to make it more difficult to find a case that just in case it drops, it doesn't hit the camera. I really don't know what else to say I mean battery life is also a huge concern, it is the same size as the 920, but since the camera has to use more power to down sample the picture I would assume it would eat the battery quick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3